What's new

Vudu New 4K UHD available on VUDU! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Am I missing something? I was under the impression that the Kino discs for The Apartment, Fistful of Dollars, and A Few Dollars More didn’t have HDR either.
True, however, I was just making it clear that the 4K digitals on Vudu didn't have anything new applied to them like HDR. And noted the digitals that did have HDR applied to them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
FYI, a bundle with A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and A Fistful of Dynamite is on sale for $19.99 on iTunes right now. They are currently in HD on there, but at least the first three of those films should eventually upgrade to 4K.

A similar bundle, with Hang 'Em High instead of A Fistful of Dynamite, is also on sale for the same price.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FYI, a bundle with A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and A Fistful of Dynamite is on sale for $19.99 on iTunes right now. They are currently in HD on there, but at least the first three of those films should eventually upgrade to 4K.

A similar bundle, with Hang 'Em High instead of A Fistful of Dynamite, is also on sale for the same price.

But the thing is are they worth getting at all given all the various PQ issues at least of the past?

I'm sure some would feel they're worth it no matter what of course (and we're only talking ~$5 each title) -- and I'm not judging anyone about that -- but I'd be much more skeptical of their value for myself (whether near term or long term) given their history on top of the state of streaming such as it is...

_Man_

PS: I know, I know... "so just don't get them and move on" LOL... :lol:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
But the thing is are they worth getting at all given all the various PQ issues at least of the past?

I'm sure some would feel they're worth it no matter what of course (and we're only talking ~$5 each title) -- and I'm not judging anyone about that -- but I'd be much more skeptical of their value for myself (whether near term or long term) given their history on top of the state of streaming such as it is...

_Man_

PS: I know, I know... "so just don't get them and move on" LOL... :lol:
I am not ordering them, as I have the Kino 4K discs of the trilogy. However, since this thread was about those films being available on Vudu for a much higher price, I thought I would throw this sale price info out there for anyone interested.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am not ordering them, as I have the Kino 4K discs of the trilogy. However, since this thread was about those films being available on Vudu for a much higher price, I thought I would throw this sale price info out there for anyone interested.
Yeah I’m not ordering them either. I’ll wait for a sale at iTunes which is so much better than VUDU anyway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Out of curiosity, I double checked my DVD Profiler. I bought the "Man with No Name" trilogy for $4.99 each during one of iTunes July sales in 2018. I don't think I bought them anticipating a free 4K upgrade, but just wanted to have them in my iTunes digital library.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Out of curiosity, I double checked my DVD Profiler. I bought the "Man with No Name" trilogy for $4.99 each during one of iTunes July sales in 2018. I don't think I bought them anticipating a free 4K upgrade, but just wanted to have them in my iTunes digital library.
I have thought about buying them for that same reason. When we are at our place in SC, I only have access to films in our digital library. All of my discs are in Michigan. We do not even have a disc player in SC anymore.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Two more Paramount titles have upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision on Vudu. Footloose (1984) and An Officer and a Gentleman.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
Enter The Dragon and the 3 Naked Gun films have also upgraded to 4K Disappointing if you've already purchased prior titles in HD there's no instant upgrade or even a discount to upgrade. What a racket!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Enter The Dragon and the 3 Naked Gun films have also upgraded to 4K Disappointing if you've already purchased prior titles in HD there's no instant upgrade or even a discount to upgrade. What a racket!
They don't have hardware or an ecosystem they want to lock you into.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm surprised anyone is offering "free" upgrades, period. Over the years, no one has ever provided a free upgrade when a better format has come along. Everyone had to buy the title again in the new format. You weren't allowed to trade in your VHS for a free DVD, or your DVD for a free Blu-Ray.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm surprised anyone is offering "free" upgrades, period. Over the years, no one has ever provided a free upgrade when a better format has come along. Everyone had to buy the title again in the new format. You weren't allowed to trade in your VHS for a free DVD, or your DVD for a free Blu-Ray.

Besides the point made about Apple being invested in locking us into their ecosystem, etc, Apple also comes from the vantage point of the computing world unlike most of the other Hollywood and media companies. In the computing world, free (at least incremental) upgrades are not unusual at all, especially for software that's meant to be fairly inexpensive (per unit) seeking to gain mass acceptance/adoption like the vast majority of apps and ("digital") music not delivered on physical media.

Makes good sense for Apple to promise free upgrades to gain mass adoption at least back when they did so... and yeah, they definitely seem to have gradually, quietly tried putting that genie back in the bottle bit by bit to some extent as some studios, especially Disney, but not only, might insist...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks