What's new

Network HD on dish and no Letterman HD (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
There was an article in USA Today on Wednesday about the increased programming available in HD this fall and beyond. This makes me wonder what the availability of HD on DISH will be as that would be the only source of HD where I live until maybe the year 3010:angry: I have not yet purchased an HD set as yet because the prospect of available programming is not good. DISH offers the 4 channels of HD (HBO etc) and an east and west network CBS HD if you "qualify". There is no mention on their site of offering NBC or ABC. Has anyone heard anything about this becoming a reality? Also, in the USA Today article they show that both Leno & Conan will be in HD, but CBS is not putting Letterman in HD. They are supposed to be the leader in HD programming, at least they were at one point, but no Letterman. What gives? Is this a $ thing or is Letterman opposed to it? I would think the network that has championed HD would be putting Dave on in HD. Anyone have any insight on this?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I saw one Late Show where they just got new HD cameras. Letterman then made fun of the fact that they were filming in High Definition, but not broadcasting in HD.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It takes more than just HD cameras to do HD, of course. Give CBS just a little more time to get everything in place to do Letterman in HD. I suppose CBS isn't getting any help from a sugardaddy manufacturer, the way NBC got help from Sony to do Jay Leno in HD.

CBS has an agreement with Dish Network to make its HD feed available in cities where CBS owns its local affiliate or in cities where the not-owned-by-CBS local affiliate doesn't mind. ABC and NBC do not have such agreements.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
From what I've read, it's just a money thing. The production equipment for Letterman wasn't purchased that long ago, so they're not so keen on replacing it yet, especially with a soft economy.
Maybe the increased HD programming across the board will put enough pressure on them to make them change their mind for next season though. I sure hope so. :)

PaulBoud

Agent
Now that all the real networks are stepping up to the plate as far as HD is concerned, I really hope Dish can come to an agreement with ABC and NBC. Of course there is ESPN HD on the horizon too!!! Not to mention the 3 new HDNet channels that are supposed to arrive by years end. The ball is really rolling, but having just satelite or cable as options, we may have to wait to get all that is available.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
There's no DISH HD package. You need to subscribe to the packages that include the HD channnels. Discovery-HD is $8/mo. HBO is like ~$10 or so (you get HBO-HD, and all the others) same goes for SHO. To get CBS, you should have to subscribe to the locals. I don't know if Dish is like DTV and also requires a minimum package now. I don't think you have to.

Dish doesn't have HDnet, but that may change soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks