What's new

Network Goes into Liquidation (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And the price inflation begins...

A few days ago I preemptively ordered a copy of the UFO BR from Amazon UK - in spite of not yet owning a region free BR player. It was ~$50 shipped (a price it's been for a while - it rarely, if ever, goes on sale). Today a new copy is running for $200+!!! For that extra $150 I can purchase a region free BR player and have more access to stuff than with just my region free DVD player.

The Network release of "Children of the Stones" is in my cart at Amazon. Up until a couple of days ago a used copy was ~$15 shipped. Today it'd be at least $120. And I'd meant to order a copy of that one long before the recent announcement and just forgot.

And other sets are shooting up as well with no seeming rhyme or reason as to which are highly inflated and which are just a few $$ over "normal" prices with others I have in a wish list have gone up a few $$ each but nothing like those two titles.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s just price gouging among speculators who had been holding on to excess inventory. With the news that the company is out of business, customers who had been holding off on buying titles waiting for sales and whatnot are deciding it’s now or never and trying to buy, and sellers, aware of the news that the company is done, is preying on that. But supply has exceeded demand on these titles for a long time so I suspect once the panic buying dies down, and as Network’s own inventory starts hitting liquidators, sellers will drop prices again as demand dries up.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
This is the worst news I have heard in quite a long time. I just bought my first set from Network (complete Spitting Image), and there are still at least 6 series sets I really want: The Persuaders, The Sweeney, the Professionals, Return of the Saint, Minder, Dempsey and Makepeace

Anyone have any tips on where to look for liquidated stock or used copies to pop up? UK ebay? Deep Discount? Other?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yes, it's absolutely predatory pricing from vendors watching what's happening. Some of these are OOP so it's not unusual for the price to go up a bit - or a lot - depending on the title, even if there's no company closure. What I've purchased are a few titles I've wanted but haven't bothered to move up in the queue as they're "always available" at the prices I paid. Some of them surprised me a bit so I posted about them in case others have similar queues of titles wanted that haven't jumped in price. Should the inventory go to liquidation I'd fully expect those titles that were in print at the time of the announcement to drop in price, some significantly, because of that situation. The R2 BR titles I had in my lists were all on hold as I was deciding whether or not to spring for a region free BR player.

Network titles didn't go on sale often and when they did it was typically at Network's site with a some spilling over to Amazon UK and a few other sites. I'd typically order from Network as the prices + shipping were often better than elsewhere.

I credit (blame?) Jeff for many of my Network purchases as he would alert me when a sale hit. I got to where I'd just wait for one of their sales rather than purchase elsewhere.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

A few days ago I preemptively ordered a copy of the UFO BR from Amazon UK - in spite of not yet owning a region free BR player. It was ~$50 shipped (a price it's been for a while - it rarely, if ever, goes on sale). Today a new copy is running for $200+!!! For that extra $150 I can purchase a region free BR player and have more access to stuff than with just my region free DVD player.

The Network release of "Children of the Stones" is in my cart at Amazon. Up until a couple of days ago a used copy was ~$15 shipped. Today it'd be at least $120. And I'd meant to order a copy of that one long before the recent announcement and just forgot.

And other sets are shooting up as well with no seeming rhyme or reason as to which are highly inflated and which are just a few $$ over "normal" prices with others I have in a wish list have gone up a few $$ each but nothing like those two titles.
I feel your pain, as to many others here. Once I heard I tried to grab titles from my Network hit list...still available but proces are increasing. There may still be hope, if Spirit Enter. comes to the rescue, but on some titles I didn't want to run the risk. The eBay vultures are circling...

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Disappointed but not surprised by the price gouging on the various Gerry Anderson Blu-Ray sets like U.F.O., as there's a large fanbase for those. Similarly with Children of the Stones, unfortunately, as that DVD edition has been OOP for a while now. I wish you luck in finding those titles at better prices, Howie.

It seems that many Network DVD titles that are still in print (and some Blu-Ray) can be had through Network's Amazon Marketplace partner Timewarp Media for (mostly) reasonable prices. Sadly, the days of Network's frequent great discount sales are likely gone forever. Hopefully the transition of Network's back stock of in print releases to Spirit Entertainment will restore some balance to pricing.

However, former Network designer Rob White has reportedly put the kibosh on the idea that Spirit Entertainment would be taking over Network's mantle regarding releasing anything new in the future. As a well-known distributor of physical media in the U.K., Spirit apparently will only be selling the remaining Network stock of already-produced DVDs and Blu-Rays. Still no news if this is an interim step in hopes that another buyer might step forward...but at least we should see existing stock stick around in print for a while. But my advice is to keep hunting for and when able picking up any Network item that's on your want list, as the prices are likely to rise accordingly as stock dwindles.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Fortunately as a regular buyer from Network, I have the titles I want. The problem for me and other fans of classic British television is that I doubt another distributor would put the love into future titles that Network did, and that we shall not see blu rays of the many shows that remain to be upgraded.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Disappointed but not surprised by the price gouging on the various Gerry Anderson Blu-Ray sets like U.F.O., as there's a large fanbase for those. Similarly with Children of the Stones, unfortunately, as that DVD edition has been OOP for a while now. I wish you luck in finding those titles at better prices, Howie.

It seems that many Network DVD titles that are still in print (and some Blu-Ray) can be had through Network's Amazon Marketplace partner Timewarp Media for (mostly) reasonable prices. Sadly, the days of Network's frequent great discount sales are likely gone forever. Hopefully the transition of Network's back stock of in print releases to Spirit Entertainment will restore some balance to pricing.

However, former Network designer Rob White has reportedly put the kibosh on the idea that Spirit Entertainment would be taking over Network's mantle regarding releasing anything new in the future. As a well-known distributor of physical media in the U.K., Spirit apparently will only be selling the remaining Network stock of already-produced DVDs and Blu-Rays. Still no news if this is an interim step in hopes that another buyer might step forward...but at least we should see existing stock stick around in print for a while. But my advice is to keep hunting for and when able picking up any Network item that's on your want list, as the prices are likely to rise accordingly as stock dwindles.
Thanks for the update, Jeff. I took a look at the US and UK Amazons for the Network titles I want. Fortunately, most of them are still available for roughly the same prices that the Network site had them at when not on sale.

From my list, so far the real gouging is going on for:

UFO complete blu ray - $72
The Professionals complete blu ray - $162
(including shipping to US)

That Professionals price is nuts. Off to check eBay.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks for the update, Jeff. I took a look at the US and UK Amazons for the Network titles I want. Fortunately, most of them are still available for roughly the same prices that the Network site had them at when not on sale.

From my list, so far the real gouging is going on for:

UFO complete blu ray - $72
The Professionals complete blu ray - $162
(including shipping to US)

That Professionals price is nuts. Off to check eBay.
Wish you would have pulled the trigger on these a year or so ago when you were putting your Network wishlist together, Stephen!

Yes, that price for the complete The Professionals is way high; think I paid about half of that for each volume in various sales. That said, the sets are really nice, a massive upgrade from the DVDs, and are probalby worth the inflated price in the end (especially if they include Andrew Pixley's massive "Viewing Notes" booklets.)

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
A few days ago I preemptively ordered a copy of the UFO BR from Amazon UK

As well as the tv series boxset there is a separate movie compilation Invasion: UFO too

Attachments

• IMG_1158.jpeg
    IMG_1158.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 19

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Wish you would have pulled the trigger on these a year or so ago when you were putting your Network wishlist together, Stephen!

Yes, that price for the complete The Professionals is way high; think I paid about half of that for each volume in various sales. That said, the sets are really nice, a massive upgrade from the DVDs, and are probalby worth the inflated price in the end (especially if they include Andrew Pixley's massive "Viewing Notes" booklets.)
Yeah, I wish I had pulled the trigger before too. I nearly did several times, but the $38 shipping fee for multiple items put me off. Pound foolish I guess.

Maybe I can find a better deal on the individual Professionals season sets.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay

The Professionals was one of the last Network TV Blu-ray sets I needed, but I balked at the outrageous prices for the Complete Series set; I ended up buying the individual seasons for a much better price (the exchange rate from the pound to the Canadian dollar is the best it’s been in quite some time)—I had to go with the 6 volumes of The Man in a Suitcase as well (the complete BD set was already unavailable most places).

I’ve managed to pick up the last remaining ITC shows on DVD and some of the British films Network released on Blu-ray. It’s really a shame the label is in liquidation—I really hope their assets can be purchased and all these wonderful TV show and film releases can be enjoyed by others.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
An update, courtesy of a member (see post #1875) on Roobarb's Forum:

"Companies House received documents for Network's liquidation today. The directors voted to put it into voluntary liquidation on June 9th and the liquidators are Begbies Traynor. They have submitted a statement of affairs, which will answer some financial questions, but the documents have yet to be processed by Companies House so they aren't available yet.

Basically, Network is insolvent and dead."

That seems awfully final, as far as Network is concerned. :( Now we will just have to wait and see if any other company steps up and takes over some of the projects that the sudden liquidation put in limbo (The Baron, rumored work on restoring seasons 2-4 of The Sweeney in HD, Danger Man, the Edgar Wallace film series, etc.)

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

"Companies House received documents for Network's liquidation today. The directors voted to put it into voluntary liquidation on June 9th and the liquidators are Begbies Traynor. They have submitted a statement of affairs, which will answer some financial questions, but the documents have yet to be processed by Companies House so they aren't available yet.

That seems awfully final, as far as Network is concerned. :( Now we will just have to wait and see if any other company steps up and takes over some of the projects that the sudden liquidation put in limbo (The Baron, rumored work on restoring seasons 2-4 of The Sweeney in HD, Danger Man, the Edgar Wallace film series, etc.)

Danger Man in BD was the title I was expected from them. Too bad!

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

The Sweeney in HD? Someone make it happen!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Sweeney in HD? Someone make it happen!
Network released the first season of the show on Blu-Ray back in 2012 (it's been out of print for a looong time now, but can be had for a mere 499 pounds on Amazon UK), but stopped after that, reportedly due to disappointing sales figures. Recent rumors abound that they were preparing to release the remaining three seasons, perhaps as a llimited edition complete series BD boxset.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

Thanks for the update Jeff. I'm not very confident that another company will take on their restoration work, like many others I was (am) hoping for Danger Man to be released on blu. Other favourites would be The Champions and Edgar Wallace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks