What's new

Need various buying advice (speakers, receiver, DVD/CD player) (2 Viewers)

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm finally getting around to upgrading to high-def, and I'm taking the opportunity to get rid of my old receiver, speakers, and problematic DVD player.

I just ordered a new Sony KF-50WE610 50" LCD rear-projection set, and now I'm perplexed about what to do about the rest of the stuff.

I'm looking to spend about $2500 CAD (~$1850 USD at current rates) on a receiver, speakers, and a DVD player (and possibly a CD player too, if it would be worthwhile - not sure about the merits/drawbacks of using the DVD player as a CD player). For all the sound equipment, usage is going to be split about 50/50 between music and movies/television. I'm pretty sure I just want to go 5.1, but I'm open to suggestions if someone has a convincing argument for 6.1 at this budget. For the speakers, they don't have to be tiny or sleek looking, have ample space to fit pretty much anything, since I'm sort of redesigning the room. I'm open to ordering stuff online or buying local, and live in Toronto as far as the local part is concerned.

Thanks very much in advance,
Phil Levy

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Hey phil,
For the receiver, future shop may still have some cheap harman kardons but if not, look to spend about 800 on the receiver. Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon also make great receivers among others. Most new receivers will have 6 or 7 channels even if you dont use them all.
For the speakers I suggest you go audition Paradigm because they sound great, are a great value and made in Thornhill I believe. Check out the website.
I would skip on the CD player and put that money into a good receiver, dont be fooled by high wattage ratings, go for clean power. As for a DVD player, I suggest about $200 for say a Yamaha, sony or something.
Good luck and go Leafs.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What graham said. I strongly second tha Paradigm recommendation, an even BETTER bargain in canada than they are here in the states.

Phil Levy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks both of you - I took a look at Paradigm's site. Unfortunately, the dealer locator isn't working but that's no big deal.

I'll try to hit up a Future Shop soon to see if they have any deals on HKs, but none are listed on their site (just a stereo receiver).

And GrahamT, I'm pretty psyched to watch the Leafs in high-def this year :).

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I bet you can find a hk receiver if you go to the store with the model number (avr 225,325 or 525)and they can check all the other Canadian stores for you. East Hamilton Radio sells paradigm I beleive if you are in the area. Also bay bloor radio has a good selection of audio equipment to audition but their prices arent the best. THey dont carry paradigm though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks