What's new

Need to shield my speakers. (1 Viewer)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I have just purchased a Toshiba HD 34HF85.

My center speaker is a NHT Super Center which is supposed to be shielded. However, when placed on top of the TV I'm getting two magnetic interference spots from the speaker.

The TV, center speaker, and gear are housed in a Armoir(sp?) due to the WAF. I have no where to place the center other then on top of the TV.

I'm looking for suggestions to shield the speaker from the TV. I've been looking here. I could try re-wrapping the magnets, but can't even figure out how to open the center speaker as it appears to be sealed shut. Anybody have any luck placing a sheet of mu-metal or something between the speaker and TV? Any other suggestions?

BTW, I've removed the speaker as not to permantly damage the TV and have reconfigured my Denon AVR2805 with no center. Actually doesn't sound bad with movies. But with SACD and DVD-A I really want to use the center.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I did a quick search on "magnet shield" and found a few threads that seemed to indicate there was not an effective way to shield unshielded speakers. "Honey, you either have to let me move the speaker somewhere else, or we have to buy a new center channel. Can't you hear how bad it sounds now without it, like something's missing?" :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dan, whatever happens vis. your wife, you need to move the speaker immediately. This sort of magnetic interference can produce permanent damage to your display -- and it won't take long.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't kept up with the latest speakers from NHT, but I would think that something may be wrong with that particular one. With the exception of my sub, all of my speakers are NHT: 1.3's for the L & R, Zeros for the surrounds and 1C for the center. I bought these new about 14 years ago. I had my 1C on top of my Mitsubishi 31" crt for 13 years without a problem and now have it on top of my Sony 36XS955. You may want to return it for another.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I did remove the speaker as soon as I figured it out. There appears to be no permenant damage to the TV.

I bought the speaker used a few years ago, so taking it back is not an option. I bought it as it's the sonic match to my NHT Model Two's up front and NHT SuperZero surrounds.

Perhaps matching the center isn't that important and I should shop around for another center.

Any suggestions new or used in the $300 area?

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
Other than checking out the lastest NHT I wouldn't have a clue. I haven't kept up with speakers in a long time.

So there is no spot above or below far enough to not cause a problem, but close enough to work? Angling the speaker toward the listener might somewhat compensate for it being off center in relation to the L & R speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, there should be a point above the TV at which the field does not affect the set. There is no good, simple way that I know of. I read in LDC 6th edition that Vance Dickason recommended using a sheet of galvanized steel and that it should work, but I haven't tried it. Maybe a sheet of non-magnetic stainless? I used some small feet between my big center and my TV; that gives me about an inch between them, maybe you could try something you have handy (books, coffee mug, etc..) to see if just distance works?

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
There is no where below to place the speaker. I suppose I could DIY a floor stand that I could easily move out of the way when not in use. But that would mean constant wiring and unwiring the center and that seems like a lot of hassle.

I also could DIY a shelf and move the speaker up about six inches. While moving the speaker up eliminated the discoloring blotches, there was still a slight fading of the color near the top of the screen. Placing it on top of the amoir would leave it about 7ft.

It's wierd because I did not have an interference problem placing the speaker on top of my old non-HD direct CRT Toshiba set.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
The best bet might be to go to the store where you bought your set a have them recommend a center speaker. Use their floor model as a guinea pig to make sure that it won't cause a problem with yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks