What's new

Need to replace 10 year old receiver! Advice please! (1 Viewer)

Gekko4321

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy H.
Hi. I have avoided getting a new receiver as long as I can. I recently bought a Blu ray player and although I have HDMI to TV from Blu ray and cable, the dig optical connection I have to my older receiver will not play todays DTS (which is most of the BD's out there). It pains me to essentially throw away a good Sony receiver but I realize I have no choice. I also have a Bose 5.1 speaker system that still attaches to my current receiver via speaker wire. What is the best bang for my buck out there in the receiver arena? I need something that will accept at least 2 incoming HDMI connections and have at least one going out plus be able to connect my wire speakers and still accept the red/white cables for things like my CD player, tape deck, etc. I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Gekko4321

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy H.
This particular forum sucks! I have written two posts after signing up that are fairly easy and not a single reply! I am going back to AVS Forum cause they seem to help out. PS-I get my question probably has been asked and answered a million times but nothing fit my scenario.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The answer will be the same no matter where you go. Depending on your budget it's the Onkyo 508 or 708, Denon 1611 or 1911, Yamaha 467 or 667 and Pioneer 820 or 1020 or 1120. It just depends on how much you want to spend, how large your room is and the effeciency of your speakers and what features you're looking for like internet connectivity. Your situation, as stated, isn't any different than anyone elses.

All new receivers will have at least 2 hdmi 1.4 inputs and stereo analog inputs.

P.S. I just did a quick count. In the last 2 days there have 30 threads over there in the Receivers forum that have 0 replies, including mine .

Gekko4321

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy H.
Interestingly I have been debating the Onkyo 608 and I noticed you skipped right over it. Was there a reason? Thx for the reply.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 608 uses a lesser version of Audyssey, 2EQ, than both the Denon 1611 and 1911 which have MultiEQ. That can make a pretty big difference in the way your system will end up sounding. The 608 would be better than the 508 only if you need video up-conversion more than room correction.

To me, it's the 508, 1611, 1911 then 708 in that order unless you really like Yamaha or Pioneer , which is O.K. The 1120 would be an excellent option vs the 1911 or 708. I have an Elite 94txh and older but wonderfull H/K 7200 btw.

I like to use Pricegrabber.com to search for prices, then download manuals and use the manufactures "Compare" feature to really narrow things down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks