What's new

Need to know---please (1 Viewer)

Bill Marsh

Agent
There is lots of info on the HDA1 but two questions I have before i buy
1) Does the HdA1 play DVD+R's.
2) Will it play PAL discs like the OPPO
Have the oppurtunity to buy an open box HDA1 for a good price and would like to replace my OPPO 971H wich is hooked to a panny 700 projector---need the pre-outs to hook to my Denon 3803

Some of you have lots of experience with the HDA1 now and some have had the OPPO beforehand.
Thanks Bill

P.S.---if these issues have been discussed----FORGIVE ME---lol

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The HD-A1 will play DVD+R, but is only region free in regards to HD-DVD discs. I do not believe it will play any SD-DVD other than region 1 NTSC.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, it will not play a region-2 SD disc.

Interesting point, though: I don't know if it plays a PAL region free disc. Will have to find one to find that out!

If I do, I will post the result.

Cees

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator

It does not play any type of PAL discs. I get an error message even with region free PAL.
Bill, I have both the OPPO and the HD-A1 and I use the OPPO to play any PAL and region coded DVDs (I also have a Malata which upconverts and does a similar job), and I mainly use the HD-A1 for my HD movies.
IMO, the HD-A1 is slightly bit better upconverting SD than the OPPO, both hooked up via HDMI to my 50'' Panny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks