What's new

Need to build some hefty speaker stands. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I have a pair of dunlavy SC-II A/V's. They are moniter speakers about 13" deep X 11" wide X 25 1/2" tall. They weigh about 40lbs each. They are hefty little buggers. But I need to build some stands for them soon. My problem is that I have a 1 year old running around and I think they would kill her if she knocked them over onto her.

My design idea is building a speaker stand kind of like an "H". But solid at the bottom and the speaker fits into the top part of the h.

|-----|

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Greets!

40 lbs isn't all that heavy if she runs into it and kids grow like weeds so I recommend building a box with an opening just big enough to slide the speaker into it once the walls are lined with thin felt, filling the lower cavity with sterilized sand to make it massive enough not to be easily tilted. IOW convert it into a mass loaded floorstander. I wouldn't spike it though, since if she really slams into it you want it to slide away, cushioning the blow at least a little bit.

GM

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
here's my idea: make the top part where the speaker is laid on 2 inches bigger than the speaker on all sides(ex. speaker is 8 by 11, make top part of stand 12 by 15) then make holes for pvc pipe on the corners of the top stand. put pvc pipe there.
just pretend that the base of this stand is the part of the stand that the speaker lays on. just get pvc pipe to keep the speaker in place. then on top of the pvc pipe, put a piece of wood so your speaker will never come out. If this has been confusing, you can email me at [email protected]. I can also give you a picture of what it would look like, as I'm not allowed to post URL yet

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks