What's new

Need Subwoofer Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Hello,

I have been slowing piecing a new system together and have everything hooked up as listed in my sig... However, I am still missing one ingredient, a subwoofer.

I would like to spend in the range of $500 to $1000. I use my system for about 50% movies and 50% CD listening. The other issue to consider is I have a wood floor with a rug in the middle of the room. The sub will be going into a corner surrounded by wood only.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

PJ

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Perry dude,

My room setup and listening habits are almost identical to you. I have been EXTREMELY satisfied with the HSU VTF-2 with my rotel receiver/amp and Magnepan speakers. The VTF-3 provides even greater depth but would be total overkill for my room (13wide X 19 long X 8 feet high). My VTF-2 is two feet from the left wall and six inches from the front wall on wood flooring. I have a large area rug (8x12) covering the center of the room. I have the VTF-2 set at a very LOW level and it still shakes the house when watching action movies and sounds so smooth and tight with music of all kinds. From my understanding, the HSU subwoofers take music into account more than say their competitor SVS. Dude, you CANNOT go wrong with this subwoofer.

Dude,

Chester

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I would consider an svs box sub with what you have in your room. They have a plate underneath and disks that do not damage the floor. HSU has spikes and they recommend you put it on a small rug. Not necessarily for sound but more for floor protection. Both make great subs. I would give SVS the nod for customer service and faster turn around on the order. The SVS Cylinder is a bit less expensive than the box but it is fairly imposing

Greg

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Thanks for the ideas guys!

My room is about 14 feet wide, 9 feet high, and about 30 feet long, but roughly half of the length is used for a dining room. It's kinda like a great room.

My speakers already put out pretty good bass, so I would like to switch them to small on my receiver and eventually get better bass out of a new sub. Will these subs be able to compete with the current bass I'm getting out of the digms?

Thanks.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Perry dude,

If you go with either a HSU or an SVS you will NEVER say "pretty good base" ever again.

Dude,

Chester

WayneO

Supporting Actor
If you think the 60's put out pretty good bass, your in for a real shock if you get an SVS or Hsu. That's a big space to fill, so I would look consider an Hsu STF-3 or VTF-3MKII, or an SVS PC+ cylinder or PB2-ISD(this is a monster sub for the $$). Though I'm a little partial to SVS, the new Hsu VTF-3MKII for $699 looks like a steal. You can email both with your listening preferences and room size and both will recommend the right sub for you within your budget.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
VTF-2 doesn't have spikes like the STF does, it has feet (at least mine does?). My current room is ~19'x20' with a ~15' vaulted ceiling and the VTF-2 does a good job, but I'd probably go with a VTF-3 for that room. (14x30 is not an ideal, since it is approaching a 2:1 ratio and placement may be an issue or you may need to EQ it) I have heard the SVS 25-31PCi in an even larger room than yours, and it was nothing short of WOW.

Your 60s will not even come close to the bass output by any of these subs.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Ok, since the 60s will not even compare to the bass of these mentioned subs, I am correct in setting the speakers to small?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Yes, that'll ease the power demand on your amp section, let your speaker focus on reproducing the frequencies it does best, and lets the sub power and reproduce the frequencies it does best. Net gain= better sound quality(properly calibrated of course).

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
Although there will always be an ideal spot we have in mind for a sub, the sub is actually the one to determine it. To maximize your enjoyment of your investment, try out a few different spots. A few feet either way can make a world of difference.

Hate to see a frown about your new SVS :emoji_thumbsup: just because you have some bad wave cancellation.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator

Not necessarily. Wayne isn't wrong, but I know with the Denon (I love those AVRs) you have the option to change your bass out as well in the "setup" menu - mains and sub, or sub only. So TWO things to try are speaker size settings and also the sub out settings. As far as I know the result will be very similar but not exactly the same, though I'm not sure because I don't know what the Denon built in crossovers are for either the sub out or speaker size settings. On your nifty 3803 you may be able to tell and you may also be able to adjust them.

You may also end up with an adjustable crossover on your sub that you can tinker with or bypass altogether.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

BenCosta

Agent
I posted a little mini-review a while back about the LFM-1 from Outlaw. If musicality is important to you, you need to consider this sub. I was so impressed with how well it handled everything.

Peace-

Ben

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Thanks again everyone.

Ben, it appears I have A LOT of tinkering to do. Nothing wrong w/ that though, who doesn't like to tinker!

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
Perry,
How do you like your Studio 60's and CC-470? I have the 3803 and am decided between the same paradigms and the b and w 604's. Just wondering your opinion of the sound of your speakers with that amp. Thanks!

Also, I agree with most of these guys, the SVS or the HSU is definitely the way to go.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Joe,

I love the 60s, and I must I say I was pleasantly surprised at my speakers ability matched with my 3803. I know they could sound better with a nice set of Anthem separates, but these speakers are much more forgiving than you might think. The CC-470 matches the 60s beautifully, so I honestly would not bother with the 570 unless you get 100s. All in all I will have these speakers for a long time and while they aren't completely broken in yet they sound very accurate, fast and true to the source.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Quick question...

Why are HSU and SVS subs GOD around here? I really never read much about others...

Would I be a fool for going w/ something else?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you want ultimate bang for the buck, then I'd probably say yes unless you like to build one yourself aka DIY. Otherwise for $500-600 you aren't going to touch the bass you will get with the HSU/Adire/SVS stuff if you decide to go purchase say a Def Tech or Velodyne. I personaly thought Velodyne was hot stuff until I heard a SVS CS+ setup and it wasn't even close even though the prices were the same.

Adire's Dharman is another option you might look into as well as the AV123 UFW subs.

Also, IIRC Hsu builds the Outlaw subwoofer. I'm not sure whether its just a rebadging job or its a new sub or not. Myself personally I would look at the SVS, Adire Dharman, HSU Vtf2 or 3 and or the AV123 UFW sub.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Perry,
I had the same question when I first started looking for a sub.

Not at all. You'd be a smart consumer. Not that there's anything wrong at all with SVS or HSU or Adire or any of the others at all. It just seems to have a feeling of "ME TOO" on this forum.

If you're not sure, you can always try them out FREE for 30 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks