What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need some recommendations for Bookshelves under 1k (1 Viewer)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I have a Denon 4802 and HSU VTF-3 already. I need some good quality bookshelves mainly for Home theather use. I hardly hear music on my system at home, just watch DVD's 90% of the time.
I think my subwoofer is good enough to take care of the bass. SO now I need some good bookshelves to handle the mids and Highs. Any suggestions and info much appreciated.
Thx in advance.

728x90

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

Then you want something from the same line as your center channel so it is all timbre matched. So, that when a sound pans from one side to the other it sounds the same on all three speakers.

Randy_Mann

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should listen to the Dynaudio 52SE. They can be had for right at your $1000 price point. They do retail for $1400, but I have seen them offered to me at a local dealer for right around the $1000 mark.

If you don't want to have a go at the Special Editions, Dynaudio does have the regular Audience 52 which I am using for my rear speakers and they are a very capable speaker to use as your mains.

At the least, give Dynaudio a listen. You might like what you hear, but as a suggestion, try not to listen to the more expensive models in the Audience lineup, or Contour series. You might just end up spending more than you wanted to! :)

Jimmy Harmon

Stunt Coordinator
Lots of good choices out there, and you should be able to find some fine speakers for that much money. If it were me, I would look at the Rocket 250's and ELT Cse's and the Ascend 340m's and 170's. You might also be able to buy used or b-stock Onix Ref 1's for around $1K. Good luck!

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I went to goodguys today and audition the Klipsch RB-75, man they sounded really sweet. I almost bought them on the spot but I resisted temptation till I've had a chance to listen to some more speakers. The sales guy was really putting on the screws, even got him to knock 200 of the price.

I really liked how those Klipsch sounded. They almost dont need a subwoofer, the bass was really good on these. And that Horn tweeter made everything super clear. Made me grin. I think im biased towards titanium tweeters harshness, like I said I have the FOcal Uptopia's in the sound system in the truck.

I wish there was a place where you take a listen to some of these Online speakers that everyone talks about.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have never ceased to be impressed with the 75s and C-7 up front. I use the RB-35s in back also. I tried out the RF-5 towers but in the end decided on the 75s. Same 1.75 tweeter as the C-7. To be honest with you I never would have considered Klipsch if it weren't for Edward JM. He seemed to understand the sound I was looking for and recommended me trying the Klipsch reference series out.

I know speakers are very subjective but you wont know unless you give them a try. Admittedly there might be another choice that would serve you better or even much better?? Klipsch mixed with Denon or HK seems to be the most prevalent mix. I went with Denon.

Good luck in your search.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Well I decided to get the Klipsch Reference series speakers. I didnt audition many speakers, only ones I could find locally. Some paradigms , NHT's and some lesser brands, none of the internet direct speakers.
In end I just love the sound of the Klipsch horn tweeter.

I got the RB-75's as my main's and also picked up the RC-35 center channel. Will pick up the rears in a couple months, will move my current bookshelves to the rear.Proably get the RS-35 for the rears.

These RB-75's are sweet. They are a huge bookshelf. They almost sound like they dont need a subwoofer, except for the extremely low stuff. Luckily I already have a HSU VTF-3 to pair them with. And they will be powered by my Denon 4802.
Now the only thing I have to buy is a new TV. My 32" sony aint cutting anymore. Proably a 51"HDTV widescrean monitor.
Cant wait till my speakers get here. Bought them on Ebay faily cheap from a dealer that sells mostly Kilpsch stuff. Over 1500 positve rating.

Jared Brock

Auditioning
Axiom rocks!
Awesome speakers, great price, great company.
I've had a set of Axiom bookshelf speakers and a V-150(I think) for about a year now. I listen to a lot of music and watch movies and they go great with my sub. Very clear sound and great definition in all ranges. I listen to all kinds of music from rap to classic rock and they all sound great.
I tried out a lot of expensive bookshelf speakers you can find in stores like Klipsch, JBL and Polk(lots of others too). And to my ears nothing I listened to compared to the Axioms I have. Well, except the 1k a piece Martin Logan speakers.
Even speakers that cost 2 or 3 times as much as the Axioms didn't sound better.
I've heard good things about Ascend and Rockets as well, I've just never had the chance to try them out.
If your receiver has the power, go with the larger bookshelf. I think it's the 3 something.

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
if you like the sound of focals in your car, im surprised you didnt check out the focal bookshelf speakers. yes they are a few $ over $1000, but I think they sound very very good. nice foreward soundstage and whatnot. they dont rock like Axiom's, but if you like the clarity of your car speakers, even though youve bought your klipsch, Id still go listen to some focals. you will want to stay in the showroom forever :)

PS jared, if you thought $1k Martin logans sounded good, try $10k per speaker hooked to 500 watt mono Mcintosh amps. just heard that setup a few days ago, my ears are still in awe :)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Well I already got the Klipsch Reference Speakers, I really liked how the Horn Tweater sounds. Had the same clarity as my Focal's in the car. And I didnt know Focal had bookshelves under or close to a 1k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks