What's new

Need some input: Playstation 2 vs. Xbox (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
You did hit the nail on the head in your last post, however. Shenmue is to Xbox as Final Fantasy is to PS2. I'd argue that Shenmue is a much more satisfying game, but why bother? Ask Jeff Kleist why Shenmue is so great.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Shenmue 2 is great. It's a shame everyone in the U.S. had to import it to play. I just wish I could find a new Dreamcast since mine died around the end of the 3rd disc of Shenmue 2. If you have a Dreamcast and liked the first game, you owe it to yourself to import this puppy.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Shen Mue II will look great bump mapped, without having characters pop up out of thin air, sharper texture resolutions, 5.1 sound, and more polygons for characters. I can wait for it just like I can wait for a movie to come out on DVD when it's already out on VHS. :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I don't want to sidetrack the whole rest of the thread, but wouldn't you agree that its a sign of just how much RPG now just means 'Final Fantasy Clone' that you feel that (irrespective of whether its any good or not, I have as little inclination to devote hours of my time to either game) 'Life Simulation' and 'Role Playing Game' should be considered different genres?
Unless, of course, you mean the mathematical simulation Life. Which is in no way an RPG. ;)
Fundamentally, they are both highly anticipated immersive games that people might consider getting a console for, which is all that matters in this debate.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed Shenmue (not that much, but I did) and am looking forward to the next game (which is no doubt a lot better), especially since it will be on the X-Box. Yu Suzuki had a great vision with Shenmue, and since Shenmue 2 is several chapters and is on a console that can sustain his vision, I am looking forward to it.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
"While Shenmue is not a bad game (though I didn't like it) it can't really be compared to the FF games"

"I enjoyed Shenmue (not that much, but I did) and am looking forward to the next game (which is no doubt a lot better)"

Which is it, Morgan...do you like Shenmue or not? I am still a bit unsure.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to sidetrack the whole rest of the thread, but wouldn't you agree that its a sign of just how much RPG now just means 'Final Fantasy Clone' that you feel that
Ian you hit the nail on head.
Lets really look at the words Role-Playing game? Theoretically any game that you play a character in is considered role-playing because well your playing someone else:).
When you look at it closely though it would seem that Shenmue is the closest to the real meaning of RPG. You are actually living someone elses life through a video game. Shenmue had its issue but no one can deny how immersive this game was. The next game that I think will take console RPG's to the next level is Project Ego. If Peter Molyneux and the guys at Blue Box come through this game will be absolutely revolutionary.
PS: From what I have seen Shenmue 2 seems to improve upon the first in every way....and damn you BrianB.......Your post tapped into my Dreamcast loyalty so I have ordered the Import Shenmue 2 (GRRR!). I had no coice!

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I can see his thinking. I can really only afford one system, and I chose not to purchase the PS2 and wait for the Xbox. Maybe that's his issue also.
I've always been a one console guy, maybe because my PC has always been my second console.
That is exactly my thinking. I don't have the time to mess with too many consoles, and the X-Box on my HDTV with my DD 5.1 setup blows away what my old PS2 could do. Simple as that...
My PC is likewise my other "toy". I will likely be rebuilding/building a new one this summer. :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
PS: From what I have seen Shenmue 2 seems to improve upon the first in every way....and damn you BrianB.......Your post tapped into my Dreamcast loyalty so I have ordered the Import Shenmue 2 (GRRR!). I had no coice!
Heh, my job is done here ;) Get REZ while you're at it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I had a whole long message written out, but decided not to post it because of the prolonging of this thread going off-topic.

John M Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Just because a console has a large library of games doesn't mean you own them all or would even have time to play them all. I have an XBOX with 4 games: Halo, Project Gotham, Max Payne and Amped. I barely have enough time for those four.

Besides, there is no freaking way I could ever go back to playing games that aren't in 5.1 DD.

Choose the XBOX!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If I had only a small amount of time to play games, I'd rather play good ones than bad ones with good video and sound. Right now, the PS2 has good video and sound (though not as great as the X-Box) and a lot of good games (many are becoming cheap, too). The X-Box has great sound and video and a few good games.

If you are just getting into gaming, go for the X-Box because of what it can do. If you are a gamer who is in the current generation a little late, go with the PS2 because of how good and plentiful the games are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks