Need some input: Playstation 2 vs. Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Kissinger, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

I am not very wealthy, and can't afford both of these little gems. I want to get one, but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm leaning toward PS2, simply because its been out longer, and I would have an easier time finding more inexpensive games, and more used games. However, the Xbox seems to have some great games. What do you guys suggest. I want the better gameplay. Which to buy?

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Well, from a purely hardware perspective, I wrote an FAQ last week that should give you a good comparison with regard to Home Theater features.
    As for better gameplay, its a tough call. If you look at both systems RIGHT NOW, PS2 is the one to get. The PS2 library has more games than any other next-generation system, and the latest batch (Jak & Daxter, MGS2, FFX, GTA3, Devil May Cry, etc, etc) is tough to beat. Of course, Xbox will likely have a strong future ahead of it and will see many of the same games as PS2 in the future, with better graphics and sound due to superior hardware.
    My only question to you is: Have you considered Gamecube? Nintendo has always been a leader in setting new standards for gameplay (just look at how many Mario 64 imitators are out there), so if that's what important to you, you may want to check them out.

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Short term - PS2

Long term - XBox.

By the end of this year this question will no longer be asked.

'Nuff said

4. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Played both Xtensively.

The Xbox to me is far superior in sight as well as sound.

5. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Gotta agree with the XBox recommendation. It has superior graphics and sound. Give it 6 months to build up it's library and we'll all know the answer without speaking it.

I have a feeling that the PS3 will be here much sooner than anyone anticipated.

6. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

Thanks for the information. I'll probably go with the Xbox.

We have a gamecube (bought it for my son) and I like it, but I want my own. I figured why not get one of the others. We did this with Dreamcast and Nintendo 64. Worked out pretty good. Only if my wife was a little more understanding. Thanks everyone.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If you want the power and performance, definitely go with the X-Box, but if you want a lot of great games right now, definitely go with the PS2. I would reccomend the PS2 since I don't have an X-Box, but after 40 some odd hours of FFX, playing Frequency in the dark, and getting nearly $800 worth of games for it, I am in gaming heaven. An X-Box would improve it, but not as much as my PS2 has.

I would also say that you shouldn't just go for the X-Box because its the most powerful. You will be doing more than just looking at the thing run and watching the pretty graphics, you also will be playing it. AFAIK, there aren't many great games for X-Box (there are some, but not as much as the DC or the PS2). Also, the PS2 has a lot of great games that are now cheap.

8. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I have all (3) of the new systems. The XBOX wins hands down for Tech. specs, the cube has some nice Nintendo exclusives, but the PS2 is still getting most of my gaming time. Too many godly games out for it right now...MGS2 anyone? Next year if MAY be a different story but I would not count Sony out just yet.

Randy

9. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

One I discovered the superior video and audio of the X-Box, I sold my PS2...

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Derrick_Ellis

Derrick_Ellis Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Walt. I have one word for ya.... HALO. And this is coming from someone who owns a PS2! I played Halo at a friends house on his nice Sony Wega monitor and was blown away. (This is without surround sound as well.) The next day I made him buy the component cables and he was blown away all over again. I think he needs to bring it over to my house so we can check it out in surround sound. (He knows if he does that, he's not leaving with it!)

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If someone was buying a new console right now, I would reccommend the PS2 because it not only has something for everyone, but has a good something for everyone. The X-Box and GCN have a lot of genres covered, but they don't have several good games per genre, plus some revolutionary or amazing games. The PS2 has everything (minus HD and real-time 5.1 in everything).

13. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I have both, and it depends on what kind of games you like.

Halo, NFL 2k2/NFL Fever/Madden, and Dead or Alive III make the X-Box the choice for FPS, football, and fighting fans.

Grand Theft Auto III, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Tony Hawk 3 make PS2 the choice for action, adventure, or skating fans.

To be honest, since I got my X-Box, my PS2 has been played less and less. But, the value I got out of Devil May Cry, GTA III (it'll be coming out for X-Box in March, though), THPS 3, GT3, and others make it a fantastic console.

I think if I had to choose, I'd pick the X-box, unless there is one or two absolute can't live without PS2 titles. The best titles are going to be ported (MGS2 and GTA III), and it is the best technically, so in theory, should have the most room to grow. It also seems to have a lot of action titles coming out, which I like. I think the prime year for PS2 was last year, and the prime year for X-box is in the near future.

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

15. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Does that mean they aren't coming?

16. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Having both, I find myself wishing for more games to be released on the X-Box, and fewer to be released on the PS2.

Ideally, I would like to see the same games on all three platforms (PS2, X-BOX, GC) but it seems that the exclusivity game is being played by all three manufacturers. Hopefully that will change soon, and we will see 'Final Fantasy' on the X-Box and Gamecube, and 'Halo' on the PS2 and Gamecube, and the Resident Evil re-makes on the X-Box and the PS2. Wishful thinking I suppose,

If all games were available for all platforms, then I would say X-Box, because it has the capability to reproduce the best versions of those games.

However, the PS2 has the most games right now, and the most well known titles, but the X-Box has some amazing looking games up ahead. Picking any one system is your call, and it's a gamble. Right now it looks like all three systems have strong support, but look at the Dreamcast ...a system can always fail in the end, no matter how great it is.

Game fans may be forced to buy all three systems because most of the great games are exclusive to one console. It just becomes a question of looking at the systems and basing your decision on the games available and the games upcoming.

If you are a home theater buff however (and you must be to have found this forum), then there is no other choice but the X-Box IMHO. It shines in a HT system, where the PS2 lacks a bit. If you do your gaming on a smaller interlaced TV and a standard stereo system, then you probably won't notice much of a difference between the systems.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Porting a game does often mean doing a sloppy job of making it run on different hardware. Sometimes, a company will remake a game or make a Special Edition that comes out good (like Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore), but it technically isn't a port then, its a different game.

While MGS2 and GTA3 are great, big name titles, I doubt they will get good port-treatment. I haven't played SH2:RD for X-Box, but a lot of the reviews of it said there were problems with the controls and a little bit with the graphics (though I haven't played it, so someone else could confirm or deny this). While the game was still good, there were some problems with the graphics, and on the more powerful hardware.

As someone said somewhere else, porting a game onto a more powerful console gives it the chance of being better than the original, but doesn't necessarily mean it will be.

20. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

There is a clear superiority in terms of graphics and audio, for many Xbox titles. This is not the debate. We all recognize the superior technical specifications and understand what that potentially means for Xbox in the long term.
    I'm not a big sports/fighting genre fan so automatically that makes the Xbox less appealing. A year ago my PS2 felt sorely lacking in quality titles, with one or two exceptions (sounds a lot like Xbox now, eh?). We need to give the 'Box some time and it will definitely see a 'golden age.' Maybe then it will appeal to me.
    My PS2, hands-down, has a library that is going to keep me occupied for a long, long time. DMC, GTA3, GT3, J&D, MGS2, FFX... the list goes on. Not to mention genre-defying titles like Rez and Frequency, even many of the PSX titles that I missed out on (like ape escape and Castlevania:SOTN).
    I mean, right now, I can't see why anyone would want to 'take the piss out of' PS2's viability and staying power as a gaming console (this is what we're talking about, right?), other than to look back later and say 'look, I put money on the winner!'
    Judging inferiority/superiority from console to console may be comprised as a group of objective criteria, but when you add it all up, you're looking at a very subjective process depending on the motivations of the buyer. For instance, the PS2 came along at the right time, I never owned a PSX, and I didn't own a DVD player... it was a no brainer for me.
    I say, take all the advice and then use that which you feel applies most to you (ie: makes the most sense to you). So then, be it Cube, Xbox, PS2, (PS3 for chrissakes!) you'll be making an airtight decision that makes complete sense to you.
    There is no 'loser' system unless one wants to see it that way... and IMO that takes the fun out of gaming.
    Cheers,
    Joseph