What's new

Need some help with a DIY rack (1 Viewer)

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Well, I am getting married next year. I was talking to my fiancée about getting rid of my entertainment cabinet. It is a huge thing, and it is not deep enough to hold all my gear. Well, here is the problem. I tried to make a quick and dirty Flexi rack. And, guess what, she doesn’t like the all-thread. So...what to do. How can I make a cheap adjustable rack? I know she would love for it all to be wood, but I would like for it to be adjustable. So when I add more equipment, all I have to do is add a shelf. Thanks a lot y'all. :) Help me get points for making her happy off the bat. ;)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
One option is to use a dowel with a slot routed out of it to place over the rod. Then use a cap to cover the groove and seal away the rod and nuts. This will give you the flexibility of a “flexy” and the look of wood to go with it. Another idea that you can use is stainless tubing or painted indoor vacuum PVC to cover the rod and nuts once you have decided on the heights of the shelves.

Dean

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials! Although, I am a bit dubious about a woman who doesn't like the look of all-thread. ;)
You could put together a rack with a nice hardwood plywood that had the top middle of bottom shelves fixed for stability. Then you could use shelf pins for the adjustable shelves. What type of wood does she like? Check out the local hardwood suppliers -- their stuff is head and shoulders above Home Depot/Lowes. For example, you can get Mahogany, Cherry, Walnut, Maple, etc. plywood for between $50-80 per 4x8' sheet.
What tools do you have access to?

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
I too am interested in this topic. My wife refused to let me build the Flexy. She doesn't like the threads and to quote her, "its ugly" I have been looking for designs and such to no avail. I really don't want to have to go into a store and start measuring their things. :)
So far I have just drawn up a simple rack system in Autocad. I am going to give the plans to my dad who has taken up woodworking as his hobby and has plenty of cherry, walnut, oak, etc, etc. But I would like a nice looking design. One that slants back at an angle. I suppose I could do all of this myself in Autocad but if someone else has already done it....it will save my employer money. :) If anyone has designs feel free to email them to me @ [email protected]
Edit: Don't get married, you can still back out. I know you have heard it before but they are all the same. What's that honey?...Sorry, I gotta go.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
As for tools, I will most likely go over to a friends house, and make it there. He has been doing wood working for years now, so he has just about anything. I think she would like either oak, or cherry wood. I might just have to give in, and make it non-adjustable.
As for the backing out part...I think she would slap me silly if I even joked about that one. ;) ohh wait, I am silly for doing it in the first pla...OUCH :D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, boy - methinks you are hooked! Best wishes!
I had an idea last week. How about a 19" equipment rack, bare bones, no side panels, just a frame. Pick your height according to how much vertical equipment space you'll need. Then, cut plywood for the side panels and either laminate it with "wood-look" WilsonArt or Formica laminate, or veneer it with oak. That way you get total equipment flexibility and SHE gets the wood look.
No charge for this first lady-pleasing compromise - you take credit for it :)

ken thompson

Second Unit
I think the allthread comes in brass for marine applications. Its obviously more expensive but it sure looks sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks