What's new

need recommendation for ~$100 DVD player (1 Viewer)

Paul_B

Agent
trying to help a friend out (who has no net access and minimal budget) and get the most value for his dollar. I believe his television is a mid range 27" sony or panasonic. there is an s-video input but no component inputs. the receiver is an HK AVR220 with the JBL NSP1 speaker system. MP3 capability would not be much of a benefit since I'd be his only source for these CDs. anyway, I'm looking for the best value in the $100 price range.

thanks in advance. :)

Paul_B

Agent
good idea. I have the RP82 myself and am pleased so far (except for the noisy transport).

but what about these comments on reliability that I found on Amazon. plenty of good reviews but these are a little disturbing. any truth to them?

"Be Warned. Many users of the previous model DVD RV31k are experiencing a system error "H02" that renders the machine unusable after 10 months or so. It happened to me last week. Check the reviews. I would be very wary before buying a Panasonic DVD player no matter how good the picture and sound. That is what they said about the RV31k also until they started to breakdown."

or

"Immediately after purchasing the player I had to return it because it hesitated badly on almost all DVDs. The player was gone for two weeks, but worked fine when it was returned. Player worked for the next 12 months of (infrequent) use, then just quit working. It is not worth paying for repairs, so it is being junked and I am buying another brand to replace it."

TimG

Second Unit
Well I will chime in on the "un"reliability of the 31, 7 months then it self-destucted. Went with a Sony after that. I don't know if the 32 is having the same problems or not, I haven't heard that they were, but I wasn't willing to take the chance.

TimG

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a rv32 recently as a second bedroom dvd player since I like their video products. Its an excellent player except its not able to start a movie where you left off if you turn the player off. Which I thought was standard. You have to manually hit a button to save your spot. I returned it and got a Pioneer dv-250 (same as dv-353) from Walmart for $90. Very nice player for the money.

Paul_B

Agent
yeah, the RP82 is a bedroom system for me as well. the main system (click my WWW link above) has a pioneer elite dv-09. I haven't been disappointed with either the panasonic or the pioneer. then again, I've had the pioneer since mid-2000 and the panasonic is only ~6 months old if that.

anyway... unless there is evidence of reliability problems with the RV32 then I think that's the one for my friend on a budget.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
I don't know about long-term reliability, however I do know that the RV-32 seems to be one of the best built interlaced players around this price range. the commands on the face of the unit are also very practical and have a solid feel to them, and it's available in black or silver...

I am suprised to hear reports of unreliability, I have seen nothing to that effect in the course of my job at an electronics store (and we sell lots of Panasonic players for the reasons mentioned above). Maybe just a few unlucky people who voiced their concerns online...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks