What's new

What Is A Decent DVD Player That Will Last More Than 4 Weeks...? (1 Viewer)

Richard Meadows

Auditioning
Ok, my last big and heavy DVD player finally died and it isn't coming back.

Since then I've purchased 5 different DVD / Blu Ray players and each one was a giant POS.

First I started out with the $40 Sony stuff from Wal Mart. I quickly learned I need a front display and a remote that is large enough I can actually read what the buttons do. And they were so cheap it amazed me with flimsy trays that actually bend when you set a DVD in them.

On top of that, not suprisingly the $40 model skipped and choked on several of my DVDs. I have a lot of documentary stuff and rare films that were released as DVD-Rs.

So I went into the $100+ models (both DVD and Blu Ray) and while the remotes were sometimes bigger the player was still a cheap feeling piece of junk that failed to play some of my DVDs and a couple that actually seemed to die within a few weeks of regular use.

I don't mind spending money on something that is going to last. The last decent DVD player I had was a Sony that was purchased in 2001 and it was the last one to die on me. If I could find similar quality and life span I'd gladly spend the money, I just don't want to pay a lot for junk.

Ideally I'd love a changer, but it seems they haven't been made in years. So can anyone please recommend a DVD or BR player in the $100-200 range that will play all of my discs reliably and last a few years. I obviously don't know where to start as I've struck out 5 times now.

It's also hard to buy online sight unseen and get stuff that isn't flimsy junk and the stores only seem to stock $40 junk boxes.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I used to have a fabulous luck here in Australia with DVD players from the AWA brand. $30 and region-free right out of the box. Could play practically any disc you'd throw at it without choking or throwing a fit. Play them day in, day out without any wear or tear. Loved them - until I bought a recent model and it wasn't multi-region anymore!
I have 1 remaining AWA (an older model around 8 or 9 years old) which is still hanging in there, but my 'main' player for DVD these days is a Pioneer-brand one which I paid around $80 for almost a year ago, and so far its been great.

I've noticed the DVD players from the 'big boys' are drying up and replaced by generic brand players...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I got a Pioneer 420 I might be willing to sell. It is all region.Also got an older LG DN191 That I'd let go for a $15(+ 1/2 shipping, don't want to eat all if it for $15) money order/check .Otherwise...quality is gone. Unless you buy an Oppo.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another option is to look for an older model at a local thrift shop, instead of buying the newer junk. Though the catch is that nobody knows what a particular player went through previously. But at $10 a pop or less, it's not particularly high risk. (One should test out the player in the thrift store before buying it, to see whether it actually plays at all).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For various models of players I had that I thought were reliable, a few years ago I use to pick up another one at a thrift shop if I found the same model(s) for $10 a pop or less. (Largely as backup players).

(Though I don't do this anymore now).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't know about that. But they are cheap, available everywhere new or used, fast, have games if you want em, ignore em if you don't, do just about every app you could ask for, play DVDs, Blurays and 3d blus, allow you to plug in USB key drives and other music sources. I really struggle to justify any other purchase for most normal users. A superobsessive HT nut might be able to justify an Oppo but for everyone else no other deck measures up IMO.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
These days I find it's easier to just watch dvds on the computer connected to my large screen tv via hdmi, than using my standalone dvd players.

With a decent enough video card and tweaking some software video players, it can be just as good or better than many generic standalone dvd players. (My present computer is an entry-level machine from 2009-2010 that I paid around $500 for at the time).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I've had good luck with Magnavox. They certainly aren't the same quality they were many, many years ago but for basic DVD viewing, I've never had a problem. My old one finally bit the dust after close to 10 years (I believe my son spilled water in it on accident) and I bought a new VCR/DVD combo on Amazon from Magnavox and it's been nothing but reliable thus far.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
You never said, but do you have any Region 2/PAL discs? If so, a PS3 isn't going to cut it (unless somebody's found a way to hack it since I last heard).

If you can't justify buying a new Oppo, consider a used one. A BDP-83 can be found on eBay from time for time around $200 or so (and it'll do blu-rays, too). Built like a tank. Lighted remote has nice big buttons. Can easily be made region-free for DVD (with software download) or blu-ray (with inexpensive hardware mod).

Also, the cheap, older (DVP-3140 to around DVP-5992-ish) Philips-branded players are okay if you're talking pawn shop/thrift-store prices (can be made region-free with software hack).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks