What's new

Need More Component Video Connections (1 Viewer)

AndrewBrimberry

Auditioning
I have an Onkyo 989 receiver with 3 Component INs. I have 1 Component cable run to my TV located away from my AV equipment. I have more than 3 component devices I would like to connect. What is the best method to add additional component INs? If I purchase a video switcher, do I connect the OUT of the switcher to one of the INs on the receiver? What switchers do you recommend? I appreciate your assistance.

Andrew

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Normally you connect the output of the switcher to one of the "ins" of the A/V receiver.
Alternatively if the TV has more than one component input you can connect the output of the switcher directly to the TV while the A/V receiver remains connected.
Some folks have reported good results using a USD $20.00 mechanical non-remote audio-video switcher (composite) for component video. Use the yellow jack for Y, the red jack for Pr, and the white jack for Pb. Otherwise get a switcher expressly made for component video The powered remote controlled composite A/V ones are less predictable for quality since the audio paths are not guaranteed to transmit video.
Personally I would put the movie sources (DVD, etc) through the best paths, i.e. directly into the A/V receiver while the video games go through the switcher.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks