What's new

Need microphone recommendation for home karaoke..... (1 Viewer)

Tuan Le

Agent
Guys,

Anyone here happen to know some good quality microphones for home karaoke at a decent price (apprx. $100)? I am looking a the Shure SM58LC mic. http://www.zzounds.com/item--SHUSM58LC Anyone has used it before? Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

Below is the list of my equipment.

Polk Audio Towers, RTI-150 (bi-amped)
Onkyo TX-SR800 Receiver (powering the high on RTI-150)
Onkyo M-282 Amp (powering the woofers on RTI-150)
Behringer UB1832FX Mixer
Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer (equalizer for the sub)
Sony DVP-CX985V DVD Changer (ordered)
SVS PB2-ISD Subwoofer (ordered)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Good ol' Shure SM-58. You absolutely CAN NOT GO WRONG with that mic.

For $5 more you can get the one with a switch.

A low-cost compressor like the Alesis Nanocompressor would be good also, un it through the insert on that mixer.

Karaoke rules! :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Philip’s right, you can’t go wrong with a 58, and I think in your situation the switch would be a must-have.

Personally I’d take a pass on the Alesis. I haven’t had any luck using them for vocals; they overload and distort very easily (a universal problem with budget compressors). Also, compressors can be tricky to set (but I’m sure someone here to help out). Check e-Bay for a dbx 163 – it’s a small easy-to-use compressor – only one control. If you feel brave enough to take on a “real” compressor, you can get used Ashly’s on e-Bay pretty cheap – typically well under $150.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Tuan Le

Agent
Thanks Wayne, your feedback is greatly appreciated. :D

I think I will need to do more research on the compressor before making a purchase decision. Do you happen to have any links to read up on them?

Thanks again.
-Tuan

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My brother Pat has a compressor, I think it's called "Blue Max" or something like that, which he uses for everything in his studio. One of the best things about it is that it has a bunch of presets, like "Vocals, Guitar Bass", etc. I can't remember the model number. It was not very expensive at all, he replaced a Nanocompressor with it.

He's also a fan of Kararoke. We used to run Karaoke using a Pioneer LaserKaraoke machine with the cheapo Pioneer mic and it was great at parties. :) I'll ask him to post here.

pat_hamm

Auditioning
Hello. This is Pat, Phil's brother. The compressor that I use is the Blue Max Compressor from Presonus, which has presets on it as Phil stated. I use it for recording and it works great!

musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031110062530160079110004483455/g=live/search/detail/base_id/40503

it's roughly $150 new, but you can probably get them off of EBay for cheaper.

Also, the I think the SM-58 is a perfect choice, but for Karaoke I would also recommend the one with the switch.

pat_hamm

Auditioning
One time Phil got a playboy Karaoke LD. It's basically a regular playboy video but with the lyrics to the music at the bottom just like regular karaoke. We didn't tell anyone. We found the track with the longest amount of time from the beginning of the song to nudity and sang that for people. We sang and danced like idiots, and our friends recognized us as idiots.

but the best part was watching their expressions about 40 or so seconds in when they realized what they were watching! :)

I highly recommend Playboy Karaoke to anyone with an LD Karaoke player. It is hilarious!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Pat and I spotted that Playboy Karaoke disc at a Tower Records one time when we were looking for a disc with "We Built This City" on it. We both thought it was the stupidest concept we had ever seen in our lives. I waited years before catching it on clearance for $10 or less. Friggin' classic!

It is indeed the stupidest thing ever in the history of technology.

Tuan Le

Agent
Philip & Pat: You guys rock. :emoji_thumbsup:

LOL @ the Playboy karaoke LD. LOL....Man, I didn't know they have these type of LD's. LOL...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks