What's new

Need Help with Yamaha and Mcintosh (1 Viewer)

kostas

Auditioning
Hi
I need help with the following dilemma.
I have an excellent amplifier used in my previous set-up. A(Mcintosh MC-7061 ) which is a 6x100 (8 ohms) amplifier and can be bridged in many ways to provide more power.
It gets it's signal from a DSP 3090 Yamaha A/V receiver playing in a 5.1 Dolby Digital set-up.

Upgrading from Yamaha's amplifier to the Mcintosh showed a great improvement in my set-up.
from the Yamaha I just use the pre-outs now.

As my new set-up is being planned I lean to wards buying the new yamaha RX-Z9 which provides 9 amplifications channels.

What should I do then ?

Use RX=Z9's amplification without the Mcintosh? or again use just the pre-outs and buy one more Mcintosh to complete the channels (want to set-up system in THX ULTRA2)

I know the watts are not the same since Yamaha's delivers 7X170 but Mcintosh's can be bridged to provide more than that. And from my experience it's a different sound all together getting amps from a dedicated amplifier like the Mc-7061 (THX labeled as well) than from an excellent nevertheless machine like Yamaha's RX-9.

Third option is to buy just a processor A/V like meridian 861, or krell showcase an complete the system with the addition of an extra Mcintosh. Only problem is that The model (Rx-Z9) has everything included. DTS,THX ULTRA2,DD,DTS NEON, even DCDI by screen enhancer from faroudja.!!!!

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Kostas

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
I am not the most qualified person to answer this but in my opinion I would use the mcintosh for the 7 and if you want to upgrade just use the 2 extra channels on the yamaha. without listening to them i woud say the mac might still sound better than your new yamaha. just my 2 cents. hope it helps!

Mark

Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
Kostas,

I don't think anyone can provide a definitive answer to your question, due to the subjective nature of the listening experience. But I can understand your situation, since I too use a Yamaha receiver (RX-V1) as a prepro and McIntosh amps (several MC-7100, which are 2-channel amps similar in design, I believe, to your MC-7106).

For many years Yamaha made what I thought were very-good sounding amps and receivers. Then something changed in the late 1980s/early 1990s which resulted in an overly forward and bright sound, to my ears. I was very disappointed, e.g., with both my DSP-A1000 and RX-V795a due to this sonic harshness. That is when I started using McIntosh amps in my HT, which nicely solved the problem. As you know, McIntosh amps have a very smooth sound, and they are conservatively rated.

When I purchased the RX-V1 about three years ago I noticed that the sound of the Yamaha amp section had vastly improved over my previous units. From what I have read, all models since then have also shown this improvement in sound. Perhaps the improvements coincided with the introduction of their so-called "ToP-ART" design, which included changes in the amp sections - I'm only guessing about this. In any case, I discovered that I would have been perfectly happy with the sound of the RX-V1 amp section, but opted not to use it due to the fact that, by then, I had employed two amp channels and two speakers per surround channel (an ear level speaker and an elevated speaker). Since the Yamaha did not permit the use of both pre-outs and amp section simultaneously, I continued to use the receiver as a prepro and my McIntosh amps (along with some fine NAD amps) to power my speakers.

Were it not for my special speaker lay-out, I would be perfectly content using the built-in Yamaha amp channels in my receiver. I can guess that the same would apply to the new RX-V9.

But, of course, your last suggestion (e.g., incorporating a Meridian and another McIntosh amp) would be a further step-up. In the end, your financial resources are a part of the equation, too, and if you can afford that level of equipment, that might be better than the RX-V9.

Sorry to ramble, but I know this is a serious purchase decision you are making, and I just wanted to share my experiences.

Best of luck.

Cliff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks