What's new

Need Help QUICK (1 Viewer)

Pauly_B

Auditioning
I bought the onkyo HT-510 6.1 receiver. I hooked it up and it powered up...but when i turned the volume up the unit shut itself off. i can turn it back on...listen to something low...but when i turn it back up...it shuts itself down. i talked to a customer service rep and he said that it sounded like some wires were touching...and he asked if i had spliced any wires. i spliced 1 set of speaker wire...but made sure to re-connect them correctly. one of the engineers at work said that it sounded like a power supply problem to him. i have to decide something today. does any of this make sense? should i bring it back and try to get a new one?

Many thanks in Advance
Pauly_B
Dallas

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You'll need to be systematic testing what exactly is causing the shutdown condition.

(It is assumed that for each speaker(s) connection swap/changes, you turn off receiver while making the connections, and then turn on receiver after connections are made)

Hook up one speaker with the non-spliced speaker wire.

Play with only one speaker on (start with the left channel), and turn up the volume. If there if no shutdown behavior, then connect the speaker to the right channel and turn up the volume. You may want to do this with other channels (the center channel, and both rear channels, have a DVD that has an active surround soundtrack playing during the testing).

If still no shutdown behavior for each individual channel, then hook up all speakers at the same time, but use a non-spliced speaker wire for the speaker that was connected with a spliced wire (just move the speaker closer if you don't have a long run of speaker wire). With all speakers connected , turn up the volume. If no shutdown behavior occurs, then your splice speaker wire is the culprit. If shutdown occurs, you probably have a defective receiver.

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I would lean more towards the receiver itself. Usually a short of any kind will trip the protection circuit (or fry something) regardless of volume. I would still check to be sure the splice isn't causing it, and probably rewire the whole thing to be sure there aren't any other wires touching.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I have the same problem with my Onkyo. The strange thing is is does this every time I disconnect and reconnect it (it's four years old and I moved twice)and it happens periodically for a few weeks. Then the problem just goes away.

I just installed a plasma so I had to rethread my surround through the base. It started again. Star wars has a hard time staying on (which as you can imagine gets me pretty ticked. :angry: ) I don't think I have any spliced wires.

Anyone?

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo 601. I had spliced some cables and it caused the same problem you are having. Once i removed the spliced cable it worked fine.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I need to be a little 101 here.

What exactly do you mean by a spliced cable. Is it just positice and negative touching, two different cables touching, say center and left speaker or is it a cable that has been spliced somehwere along it run?

If it's just two ends touching, as it been threaded trhough the connector then it's very possible I have a spliced cable.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Ah, I see. I have no spilced cables.

I think the Onkyo receiver might be vulnerable to vibration. Loud, sudden subwoofer booms knock it out and sometimes it seemed to cooincide with someone walking by it.

Maybe Onkyos are just tempermental.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I would check to make sure that there are NO bare wires touching either each other, or the metal chassis of the rcvr. at the speaker connections from the Onkyo. Either one will act as a short cct. Your symptom sounds like you have strands of wire shorting out as opposed to a dead short. As the flow of current is increased, the short cct. in the strands of wire become more active. Current will always take the path of least resistance. At lower levels less current flows and the speaker is less dificult to make work.

Regards, Tom

By the way, that splice is not bare right. Each wire is at least shielded with electrical tape.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Update:

I went back and recut the wires. There is now no exposed wire. The plastic covering on the monster cables is flush with the connections in the back of the Onkyo. It all works fine until you turn it over 50. Then a loud noise cuts it right off again.

I'm starting to think it's an Onkyo defect.

JohnnyC

Auditioning
I have an integra 7.1 and it shuts off like that at loud volume as I have 6 ohm speakers. (pulling too much juice and causing override protection) I have a ground loop with the thing which prevents me from useing an amp. Take your's back, I want through 3 recievers before i kept the one i now have. Still with problems. I thing Onkyo/ Integra has some quality control issues and i will upgrade and never buy onkyo again.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Thanks Johnny, I would but it's 4 years old now. We lived in a small apartment until recently so there wasn't much opportunity to crank the receiver. Now we have the space, but it seems not the ability. Maybe I should look at an upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks