What's new

need help buying equipment (1 Viewer)

RonMack

Auditioning
I Have a 14 Ft.x 20 Ft Room i want to use for a home theater and i have about 10.000 dollars to work with I want speakers in the wall and I dont know what kind of tv to use this is new construction and no wire has been run yet I hope someone can help

Jay Tee

Auditioning
Plan for the future which may very well be wireless. My theatre is the same size as yours and I went to great effort and electrician expense to wire for rear surround speakers. Then I bought a new, state of the art, receiver whose manual had me placing the two rear speakers to the side with one rear speaker rendering the wiring for the two rear speakers obsolete. The effect is tremendous. 7.1 is coming then who knows what next! Because of that, in my mind, permanently affixing or locating anything is unwise such as inbuilt ceiling or in wall speakers. Design and build in such a way that anything can be relocated later without too much effort or room damage.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I am assuming that is $10K and not $10 as it is posted?

Not to many proponents of in-wall speakers on here. There is a comprimise in sound from those that are not in-wall / in-cieling.

You will most definetly want to go front projection in your large dedicated theater.

Don't skimp on your sub(s), consider some room sound treatments.

That is about all the answer I can give you in the basics forum. Maybe post in the respective forums for specific equipment suggestions.

You will have to research a lot, because there are a couple of thousand ways you can divide up your money for the entire scope of this project.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Welcome to HTF. There are a couple of web sites that will show/explain where to place your speakers Try hereand here these two sites are good primers on surround sound.

Is 10,000 your entire budget for everything or just equipment?

Yeah what he said.

Also audition several types of equipment too. Go out and "test drive" as much as you can to get a feel for what you like.

Good luck on your project.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't worry about what is coming in the future as far as 9.1 or 9.2 for speakers. In a room this size a very good 5.1 or 7.1 set up will sound great. If you are planning on doing the work yourself, there is no reason why you can't have an outstanding HT when done. I'm on the same budget with all new equipment (except for front and center speakers) and I feel like I'm getting SOOO much. Check out the links below to see construction in process and a list of equipment I just purchased.
While I wouldn't worry about more speakers, I would be over cautious and run an extra unused speaker wire in the wall in case you have something happen to one, either durring sheetrocking or after completion.
Spend a lot of time on "Things I wish I'd done different on my project" thread. There is a lot of good ideas in there.

With new construction, you can build to suit. Figure out what you are going to use the room for, what type of design do you want and I'm certian with as many choices as there are out there, you will be able to find something to fit your need. If you are looking for a dedicated Theater in your basement consider a projector. If you want an all purpose room, for entertaining, casual TV watching, etc. I'd do a nice DLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks