Need Advise, SVS Driver Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis C. Ortiz, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Luis C. Ortiz

Luis C. Ortiz Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everybody

I just got one used driver of a SVS 21-39pc , now, I'm using it to replace my blown off Paradign PS-1200 , so I'm using it in the PS-1200 enclosure. It sound great, in fact too great which bring me to the question, if I would be able to use one of those car audio "bazookas" to simulate the original SVS enclosure? I know it won't be the same, but would it be better than the PS-1200 enclosure? Also I know I could do a sonosub but I lack the tools and most of the skill to make one. Any advice on this would be appreciated, thanks for looking.

Luis

2. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I would suggest modeling with winisd to find out since when it all comes down to box volume and the appropriate sized port(s). This can be found at the following:
    http://www.wssh.net/%7Ewattsup/audio/

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The PS1200 is a bandpass enclosure. I don't know of anyone on this forum that has built a bandpass DIY sub for home theater use. They are usually frowned quite heavily upon.

I'm not familar with the bazooka tube stuff you speak of but I would guess the enclosure would be too small. What it's porting will be I have no idea, but probably not good.

Is there any reason you can't build a sonotube enclosure for it?

4. Luis C. Ortiz

Bump

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Build a new enclosure or buy a pre-made one from Parts Express or Kyle Richardson (Acoustic Visions). I think the PS-1200 enclosure will sound terrible and the 'bazooka' probably isn't big enough. A good alignment would be 4ft^3 tuned to 20Hz (like a 20-39 I think).

6. Luis C. Ortiz

Thanks for all your comments.

Luis