What's new

Need advice on upgrading current Speaker setup (Want nice theater sound for movies) :) (1 Viewer)

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
[COLOR= black]I currently have the following equipment:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]1) (1) Pioneer receiver Model: VSXD1S[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]2) (2) Bose Rear speakers 2 CUBE Stack mounted on Wall behind couch[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]3.) (1) Center channel Infinity [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black] I was looking at getting to front speakers (left and right) and a sub woofer. Also if needed a new center channel speaker, although the one now seems to work good. I am after great home theater experience, and would like to know what is best fit for what I have now or if I should replace some of what I have now. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Thank you in advance [/COLOR][COLOR= black]J[/COLOR]

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That receiver is a BEAST but it is ancient! Unfortunately there is no way to easily use any modern (and by modern, I mean post-1996) surround sound decoder with it. The Pioneer receiver you have will deliver Dolby Prologic surround, which can sound pretty good, and will give you pretty good sound. The Bose cube rears will probably be adequate for the limited frequency range that ProLogic offers.

You don't mention a budget, or what the history is for your system, or what your sources are. Add this information for more specific advice.

If you're on a very low budget, I'd recommend a nice pair of left and right bookshelf speakers on stands and a subwoofer as you have suggested. If you can afford them and they look good in tour room, maybe left and right floorstanding speakers would be better. Some people on this board have had great luck with Fluance brand over the years -> http://www.fluance.com/ . One of my favorite online clearance stores is http://www.accessories4less.com/ . They always have great stuff.

Eventually you'll want to get a more modern receiver, but having a complete array of 5 speakers and a sub with your current receiver will dive you sound that will definitely make you smile. What is the model of your center channel speaker? Can you take the front grille off and look and look at the speaker drivers (and take a picture?). If the front center speaker is a similar vintage to the receiver it may not be very good, though the brand Infinity is generally good gear.

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
How about this reciever:

Pioneer VSX-1020-K
As far as a budget I want to get great sound like in a theater, so I hear all the talking clear and the deep bass of explosions and crashes, ect. Watch alot of movies so really after creating the experience at home. As far as a budget I would like to get great sound and bass for movies and reagular TV, but not go broke doing it. :)

I have looked at some speakers also Bookshelf ones:

Bose® - 301 Model: 301 V

Polk Audio RTi A3 Bookshelf Model: AM3372-A

JBL Control Monitor Bookshelf Speakers Model: CONTROLMONBK

Paradigm Studio 10 2-Driver 2-Way Bookshelf / Stand-mounted Speaker MODEL PARADIGMSTUDIO10C

I have looked at some subs also like:

polk Model: PSW110

Pioneer Model: SW-8

Klipsch Model: SW 350

Yamaha Model: YSTRSW300B

Please let me know, thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Set up correctly with the right equipment, you can easily have better quality audio than 90% of the theaters.

I'm a huge fan of Pioneer receivers. I use the 1014 (6 years old) and have been perfectly happy with it. The MCACC auto calibration system is great.

Which bookshelf speakers sounded best? If it was Bose, please lie.

Most of us are not fans of retail subs. I chose the price of the Klipsch (Google search) and found that it costs about $350. For less, you can get this that will easily outperform that sub - http://www.lavasubs.com/12_inch/powered_home_subwoofer.html .

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Tim

Their is no way you will achieve your goal of "I want great sound in a theater" by using Bose Cubes in any part of your system. The reason I say that is because I don't know of a way that Bose cubes can be integrated to effectively work with other speakers in a 5.1 system. You do realize they must be connected through the Bose bass module to work correctly and that auto calibration systems don't work with Bose cubes running through the bass module. In fact if you ask Bose they will tell you that the cubes have to be connected through the bass module and you should not connect them directly to your receiver. They won't tell you why but it has to do with the bass module supplying boost and equalization to make up for the poor quality of the cubes. Also Bose will tell you the system is 4 to 8 ohms when connected with the bass module but you cannot find out the ohm resistance of the cubes. You could risk damaging your receiver with a direct connection.

While the Bose 301's could be used in a HT system as they connect like normal speakers @ $300 each you might find something better. Remember your front stage should be timber matched which means the same speakers for L, C, R, or a center speaker made of the same drivers as the L&R. The other surround speakers are less critical. But you should not scrimp on your front stage or Sub. What you need to do is set a dollar budget and start listening to your choices for the speakers that sound best to your ears.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
Originally Posted by CB750

Tim

Their is no way you will achieve your goal of "I want great sound in a theater" by using Bose Cubes in any part of your system. The reason I say that is because I don't know of a way that Bose cubes can be integrated to effectively work with other speakers in a 5.1 system. You do realize they must be connected through the Bose bass module to work correctly and that auto calibration systems don't work with Bose cubes running through the bass module. In fact if you ask Bose they will tell you that the cubes have to be connected through the bass module and you should not connect them directly to your receiver. They won't tell you why but it has to do with the bass module supplying boost and equalization to make up for the poor quality of the cubes. Also Bose will tell you the system is 4 to 8 ohms when connected with the bass module but you cannot find out the ohm resistance of the cubes. You could risk damaging your receiver with a direct connection.

While the Bose 301's could be used in a HT system as they connect like normal speakers @ $300 each you might find something better. Remember your front stage should be timber matched which means the same speakers for L, C, R, or a center speaker made of the same drivers as the L&R. The other surround speakers are less critical. But you should not scrimp on your front stage or Sub. What you need to do is set a dollar budget and start listening to your choices for the speakers that sound best to your ears.

He's right about the Bose...where ever you got them from, put them back and move on.

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
So what is I get all new speakers. Center, front rt and left and two rears and a sub. If I did this and kept the same reciever would I get what I am after? If yes what are some good and great speakers for this?

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You still need a new receiver. Your current receiver is only capable of Dolby Pro Logic which is simulated surround sound from a stereo source. Dolby Digital, DTS and the new HD audio formats all have discreet channels of information that only a new receiver can process.

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Ok, so which tunner below should I go with?

Pioneer - 770W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver Model: VSX-1020-K

Pioneer - 840W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver Model: VSX-1120-K

Also is THX a big item for thr tunners to have, or are these two above solid and will perform what I am after?

What would be a few options for speaker packages? I was looking for a five speaker pair (front right and left, center and the rear left and right).

Color black is the preference.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Not trying to nitpick, but you're using some incorrect terminology. If nothing else, if used in a store you'll immediately get the "fresh meat" label.

They are receivers, not tuners. (Tuners provide radio signal decoding when using separates.)

The non-front speakers in a 5.1 system are the "suurounds", they don't go in the rear, they go on the side.

THX is not a big deal. It's more of a marketing gimmick, they pay so much to get rated and get to put the label on their equipment. There's a lot of excellent equipment that is not THX certified.

Both of those receivers are very nice. I was going to say they mostly differed in power output, but I noticed that they have different DACs, I'm not that knowledgable, but I think I read here somewhere that Burr/Brown was better than Wolfson. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've heard of Burr/Brown for years. I have no idea what Wolfson is.

I like Pioneer because of the MCACC auto calibration. It can make a good sound speaker system sound great. It can make a great sounding speaker system really shine.

Ignore the wattage rating. It is least important of the specs.

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Ok, so either one of these will work, or were you saying one is better than the other besides the watts? If yes is it a major difference or not.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless you have highly trained ears or you have some mega expensive speakers, I don't think the choice of DAC will matter. Pick the receiver that fits your budget and has the inputs that you need currently with a few extra for future needs.

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Ok, Next item is the speakers any ideas?

Looking for at least five. (front right and left, center and the rear left and right).

Pioneer - 5-1/4" 3-Way Floor Speakers (Pair) Model: SP-FS51-LR

Pioneer - 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) Model: SP-BS21-LR

Pioneer - 5-1/4" 2-Way Center-Channel SpeakerModel: SP-C21

For subs I have it between these two:

12 Inch Powered Subwoofer - LSP124450
Klipsch - 10" 450W Powered Subwoofer Model: SW-450

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Pioneer speakers are not known for their quality. Klipsch subs are average. What is the cost of these speakers and sub? I can help you find a better value from the internet direct manufacturers.

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Pioneer - 5-1/4" 3-Way Floor Speakers (Pair) Model: SP-FS51-LR - $200
Pioneer - 4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) Model: SP-BS21-LR - $60
Pioneer - 5-1/4" 2-Way Center-Channel SpeakerModel: SP-C21 - $80

Lava 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer - LSP124450 - $338.46
Klipsch - 10" 450W Powered Subwoofer Model: SW-450 - $450

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Look at the package builder on edesignaudio.com. Choose a 5.0 system with the A4.mtm as the front 3 and a pair of A4b (bookshelf) for the surrounds for a total of $433.50 shipped. You would need to get a pair of stands from eD as well.

The Lava sub is a good choice unless you can get a break by adding a sub to the package on the eD site.

Timver

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Ok,So 5.0 is good with a 7.1 reciever? What is the diference from 5.0 to 5.1 and 7.1? (Big or small) What brand are these speakers ? Also with this selection does not give sub option.

I was trying to go name brand and with a local store to avoid issues and problems like if I have an issue. Easier to get taken care of locally.

So there are no name brands that are good?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Tim.

The .1 as in 5.1 or 7.2 is the designation used for the sub. 5.1= Left, Right and Center speakers and two surround speakers plus one sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Timver

I was trying to go name brand and with a local store to avoid issues and problems like if I have an issue. Easier to get taken care of locally.
So there are no name brands that are good?
You would be surprised how good the customer service is with these internet direct companies. Yes, there are many name brands that are good but not as good a value. Klipsch builds the speakers and sells them to a distributor or directly to the larger retailers like Best Buy. Let's say it costs them $50 to build a sub. They sell it to BB for $100. BB sets the price at $200. If you are going for their high end stuff it may go through a distributor which add another layer to the price.

eD builds a better sub for $50 because they don't have the payroll of a large corporation nor do they advertise as much (if any). They will sell it to you for $100 and it will outperform a $200 Klipsch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks