What's new

Need Advice on Running Shoes (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'm an Asics guy myself. They withstood high school track and military PT better than any other brand I tried. I also find them EXTREMELY comfortable.

I echo others' sentiments about Nike running shoes. Their light weight makes them great sprinting shoes, but they don't handle the long haul. They also wear out very quickly.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Somebody mention hiking shoes, a casual hike can get by with midlevel or even trail running shoes. I bought a pair of Merrill trail running shoes and I find myself using them when hiking boots are overkill or I am actually gonna be zipping by on the trails and don't want the added mass and weight of a hiking boot. A trail running shoe will be like sneakers on steroids, good padding and a rugged sole to give you traction. It will not provide much ankle support so anything more than a daypack might be stressful with those people with weak ankles.

Hiking wise, I have a bunch of VASQUE boots, an Exodus II midlevel boot for summers and light backpacking, and a winter backpacking VASQUE arctic. I also have a locut VASQUE Exodus too for the dayhikes just because I have found them to fit me perfectly.

I don't own Gore-Tex boots and usually just bring an extra pair of socks if I know it's gonna be wet and I have a pair of Merrill AquaMocs (shoestringless shoes that have are made for the river and providing grip on slippery river shores but also dry easy) that I used in Alaska when crossing glacier runoffs and streams.

So, if you're looking for the odd nature hike or even doing some trail running or orienteering, you can even look into trail running shoes.

The only running I do that is not off-trail are usually the charity 5ks that I do in the summer, I typically just use cross trainers and/or tennis sneakers because I don't feel like getting running sneakers and they're not races anyway.

Jay

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Check out MERRELL hikers if you have them there...
Merrells are definitely comfortable but I had a few issues with my last pair (maybe they've changed their ways?). The hardware (eyelets, etc.) would rust and the sole and boot quickly fell apart (within 2 years of occasional use). I got a pair of Vasque boots and they are built like a tank (but aren't as comfortable). Recently I've given up on boots and use trail hikers exclusively (even on backpacking trips and climbs). I have a pair of Nike ACG shoes and I've been very pleased with their comfort and longevity. My feet and legs thank me at the end of every hike for using these lighter shoes...

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Well, I know it's going against some advice here, but I always buy Nike. Why? They seem to fit me better than most other brands, and I'm used to how they feel. Never had problems with them. And I put lots of miles on these shoes... I'm training for a marathon.

Really, brand doesn't matter all that much... it's a matter of personal taste. Just make sure you get the right kind of shoe. Figure out if you need stability, cushioning, etc... It all depends on the way you run.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
PhilipHamm: yeah, vibram soles are stiffer than ohers, and are overkill for the kept trails that are like covered in mulch. I recmmend it if they're like dug dirt trails iwth lots of slippery rocks and roots or more.
Yeah, COAST MOUNTAIN SPORTS sells Vasque IBEX boots, im pretty sure they had a door crasher on this boot for $99.99 (reg price is like $160 or something). Decent boot :emoji_thumbsup:

Yeah, though merrel are comfy, i find their shoes have some QC issues. I've seen some of the hooks break off, and a a few of the eyelets ripped (theyre actually just strips of fabric sewn into the side of the shoe, which isnt that great if you're lacing them up tight)

Yee-Ming:
I know of a few newbalance walking shoes, but they're more designed for pavement walking. I know they have a couple 'trail' shoes, which should be decent (not the trail runners lik the 904/806/801, but theyre more like approach shoes). But they aren't that popular so i dont have much feedback on those. If its relatively flat, and its not wet or muddy, they'll do fine.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Well, I paid a visit to my local Sport-Chek after work today and picked up a pair of Saucony's. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test tomorrow in the gym.

I tried on three different brands - New Balance, Asics, and Saucony. Unfortunately, the retailer didn't have my size for the Asics that I tried, so they felt a little tight in the toe-area (1/2 size too small). I didn't find that they sole was very comfortable either - it felt more "hard" then cushioning. Maybe they needed a little bit of working-in, but that was my initial impression.

Of the two different New Balance shoes I tried on, I found that both tended to have less support in the inner-part of my foot, by the big-toe. As a result, whenever I would push off, it would feel as the shoe making me pronate inwards and push-off on my big-toe. Neither of these felt right.

As soon as I tried on the Saucony's though, I knew that they were the shoes for me. Very comfortable in the front, and soft/bouncy in the heel (these have a "grid" support system, similar to the weave of a tennis racquet in the sole). I didn't feel as if the arch-support was overcompensating, and my foot fit snugly and comfortably.

I'll let you guys know what my experiences are with this shoe. The salesman mentioned that they should have a life of 3 to 6 months, but I'm hoping that they hold out a little longer.

Moe.

Scott Basham

Stunt Coordinator
Moe,

Your experience mimics mine with the Saucony. I know the Asics are reported to be a great shoe, but they felt a little flat in the sole. Nikes are always too narrow.

About the usage of the shoe...
I always wondered why my father-in-law seemed to have a hundred pair of nice running shoes. Now I know.
From what I've read and what the different salespeople have said, it's not so much the time you have the shoe, but he amount of miles you put on them. I think most serious runners will replace shoes after a few hundred miles even if they don't appear worn much. I guess it's got more to do with the cushioning and so forth. For someone who runs 50-60 miles per week, they often buy shoes every couple of months or sooner.

I hope I get to the point I can wear out out a pair in 6 months! :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Which model Saucony's did you get?

Yeah i found the saucony's were very cushy in the heel... You could see it compress like a centimeter or so when i put weight on my heel.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Nike's are for wanna-be's. (Sorry all you Nike fans.)Every pair I had was terrible for long distance runs.
You know... I was going to just blow this off as an ignorant statement, but it's been bugging me for a while.

Someone making a blanket statement like this must either have some kind of inferiority complex or just not realize how ludicrous a statement they are making. If you really believe that the shoes make the athlete, then you are more a victim of Nike advertising than anyone who buys them.

Try a bunch of different shoes... The ones that work best for YOU are the ones you should use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks