What's new

Need Advice on Running Shoes (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Can anyone here recommend a good pair of runners?

I've recently stepped-up my cardio routine in the gym in the hopes of burning off that extra weight, and have started running quite a bit to provide the extra "oomph" I might need.

Since I'm doing so much running, I figured it would probably be a good idea to replace my aging Reebok Hexalite Basketball Hightops (which provide little in terms of shock-absorbtion, etc) before I end-up hurting myself. I'd like to avoid bad-knees, shinsplints, and any other injury that bad equipment might encourage.

I've been to a couple of shoe-stores and have seen the various brands (Nike, Adidas, New Balance) featured in the running section. Of course, every salesman pushes a different brand based on personal opinion, store politics, sales, etc. By the way - I'm planning on using these shoes for running, as well as part of my weight-lifting routine.

Are the Nike Shox any good? What about New Balance? What should I be looking for in terms of a good running shoe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Moe.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I sell shoes at my job (Running and hiking) so this is my specialty ;)

Anyways...

If you're gonna be real serious, i would suggest you avoid any nikes, adidas, or reebok. The top two brands I say are NEW BALANCE and ASICS. SAUCONY makes fairly good shoes as well as MIZUNO.

If you're looking for shoes, first you gotta know what kind of foot you have. Do you pronate (ie do your feet roll in when you walk?)? If so, you'll need something with more stability.

New Balance shoes are designed very well to form to the foot. They come in different widths, so if your foot is a bit wider/narrower than the 'average' foot, definitely check out newbalance.

Asics' GEL cushioning is great. One of the best, and they are designed as well as New Balance. Their Gel Kayanos are one of the best-fitting running shoes you can get. Highly recommended to definitely check these out. If you tend to pronate, Asics uses DUOMAX (Polyeurathane, which is stiffer than normal foam used in the midsole) in a number of their shoes to provide stability so you dont roll in.

Saucony shoes are cheaper, but still made well, however this is only in the higher end shoes. Cheap saucony's aren't recommended. But their new top of the line Grid Hurricane 5 is one of the best shoes i've ever worn. They fit awesome, with great cushioning. Saucony's use a grid of plastic bars to provide cushioning. This is similar to a tennis racket design. It flexes while still giving stability.

Mizuno shoes are very lightweight, and they breathe very well. They are more form-fitting to your foot. They'll grab your foot like a hand. More shapely to the sole. THey use a plastic wave-shaped cushioning system which gives decent cushioning but also provides stability.

I suggest you go to a higher end shoe place. I dont know about other stores, but the COAST MOUNTAIN SPORTS i work at, the people have great knowledge of running shoes. Aroudn here we also have THE RUNNING ROOM and RACKETS AND RUNNERS. Im not sure if they're available in toronto.

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I've been a runner for 7 years now, but I am 6'3", 215#. Not your average runner. I also have had surgeries on both of my knees from moto-x injuries, so a good shoe is very important to me. I run on average 23 miles a week. Here's what I have found:

1) Replace you shoes often..every 6 mos. if you run a lot.

2) I have tried many types of shoes. Asics were my favorite for years...they are a great shoe. But I have really started to love Reebok's with the DMX-10 chamber. Only the DMX-10's, no others....they seem to have the most cushion.

3) Nike's are for wanna-be's. (Sorry all you Nike fans.)Every pair I had was terrible for long distance runs.

Hope that helps.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
NickSo,

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking of leaning towards the New Balance brand, as I've seen a greater variety of their shoe, and I've heard good things.

Any experience with the Nike Shox? They seem to be popular, or is it just for the poseur's out there who wanna look "cool & stylin'" in the gym?

Michael,

I don't know how much wear-and-tear I'd put the shoes through, as I doubt I'd be wearing them outdoors at all. For the most part, they'll be worn indoors at the gym, and that's about it. Is 6 months a rule of thumb for normal every-day use, or is there a way to tell when a shoe has had it's day?

Thanks,

Moe.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I like to jog and use eliptical machines at the gym.

The thing to remember is that different shoe companies cater to different foot profiles. They each also have their "gimmicks". Asics "Gel" Nike "Air", Adidas "Torsion" etc. etc. etc. Every company has some kind of gimmick. You have to decide which gimmick is worth buying into.

I've tried lots of brands and found that I have Adidas feet. The Torsion system and the shoe profile work great for my feet.

In my experience Nike shoes are garbage. They fall apart and don't offer good support.

Try lots of different brands of shoes to see which ones work best for your feet. Try going to a place where you can jog around in the store a little.

Don't buy shoes unless they have removable plastic/foam insoles. The ones with a cushon glued into the bottom do not have the support you'll need for running. You'll find that only the more expensive shoes have the right kind of insoles.

Scott Basham

Stunt Coordinator
I just started running a couple of weeks ago. Instead of buying the good shoes to start with, I just took off in my 2 year old New Balance shoes. Whoa, what a mistake, now I have shin splints that are terribly painful. I asked my father-in-law who is a long-time marathon runner about my options. He pretty much said the same as the other guys. Go with a good shoe and get them from a store that specializes in running as a sport. Chances are, at least some of the employees will be runners as well and they can watch you walk and run on a treadmill to see if you over or under- pronate. I tended to pronate so the salesman recommended some Saucony Grid Stabils (wide) for me. They were about $100. I put one of those on one foot and a comparably priced New Balance on the other and then took a run on the treadmill. I'm a NB fan, so I couldn't believe it when the Saucony seemed to just land and roll on to the next stride while the NB seemed to be much more harsh and less conducive to running.

In the end, it's up to you and how they feel. Also, be sure and get a shoe big enough. Too big is better than too small when running. Your feet won't get any smaller as you put on the miles.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Philip_G: Asics' GEL is NOT a gimmick.. its a useful cushioning system. Nike's air is good too, but the air pockets tend to pop too often. Adidas' torsional system works okay, but Asics has the same with its DUOTRUSS and NewBalance has it with its Stability web. They may sound like gimmicks, but arent, and they work.

But nike shoes overall aren't that great. You put it best when you said NikeShox are for the gym poseurs. They're decent, not great, not terrible, but defninitely not worth their price. And for serious running, i wouldnt recommend it.

I wouldn't have a second doubt recommending NEW BALANCE.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Nike SHOX NX. You know, the English football streaker commercial? The shoes are great. Super comfy, cushioned like you wouldn't believe, and actually seem to propel you forward a bit when the shox rebounds.
-Erik

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
I run roughly 20 miles per week. That probably isn't considered "a lot" of running, but more than most. Despite what everyone says (and they're probably right) I like Nike Air Max running shoes. Not Air Max Triax, Air Max Pegasus, Air Max Tailwind, Air Max Cornish Game Hen, or Air Max Dolby Digital 5.1, but the Air Max. The Air Max is the "flagship" of the Nike Air Max line. They are the most expensive too, unfortunately. I have had 5 generations of the Air Max and have loved every single pair. The newest model is the best pair I've had yet.

I never get shin splints, my foot is cushioned perfectly, and they are light as air.

FWIW,

Matt

Scott Basham

Stunt Coordinator
Please don't take my post to mean that I'm not for New Balance as well. They just didn't seem to feel as good as the Saucony. As a matter of fact, the same day I bought the Sauconys, I bought the New Balance 1040 (msr $110?) with the Stability web and N-ergy cushioning. They'd probably be my next choice for running and definitely are for casualy wear.

Off topic, but does anyone know which models of New Balance are made in the USA? I thought I read something about that a while back.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just to clarify, im not saying that Nike shoes are BAD... The shoe itself is fairly well made and designed... its just there's stuff out there thats better.

Scott: I dont know exactly which models are made int he USA, but the ones i sell, the ones made in the USA have an american flag stuck on the front of the box (where the size info is).

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
The problem I tend to have with New Balance is that above the heel and below the achilles, the cloth starts to rip and the padding does too leaving that uncomfortable piece of plastic jabbing me in the back of the foot.

It seems to happen at about 4-5 months in which I guess it means its time for a new pair.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Nick said:
I sell shoes at my job (Running and hiking) so this is my specialty
slightly OT but it's right up your alley, what about hiking shoes then? I need to get a pair of decent hiking/walking shoes for an upcoming trip to New Zealand's South Island, where the wife wants to go on short nature trails. she's already picked up a pair of New Balance walking shoes, I was going to buy a pair of Hi Tec shoes but they didn't have my size...

so what brands are recommended, and what features should I be looking out for?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yee-ming:
what kind of hiking are you going to be doing? just like simple kept-trails (like the kind where its like 4 feet wide covered in mulch?)? Is it gonna be wet? If you're not going on any long excursions and the trails are well kept (ie relatively flat, few rocks/roots to slip over) then a basic pair of approach shoes would be enough.

If it rains more or is wet, i recommend you either go for soemthign with more leather and less stitching, or buy some SnowSeal or another kind of waterproofing wax (this'll keep water out 100%. You may lose some breathability however. And it will discolor suede/nubuck leather a bit. But its the best way to waterproof your shoes).

If you're gonna be walking on slippery surfaces, definitely look for a shoe with a VIBRAM sole. The rubber on vibram soles are stickier than regular rubber on slippery surfaces (ice, water, etc). They're also more durable.

Hitecs are decent for just basic trail walking. But if you're gonna be doing something like a day hike or longer in rougher conditions, you may wanna go higher end. Check out MERRELL hikers if you have them there. They're known to make very comfortable shoes. Their approach shoes aren't half bad either.

So if you're gonna be simply hiking for an hour or two on some pretty flat and dry trails a basic pair of HI-Tecs will be enough. if its gonna be wet, find one with more leather, and less stitching like this (but it will be slightly less breatheable):
And waterproof it (nikwax or snoseal or something similar).
If you're gonna be hiking longer, check out some SUPERFEET insoles. Most approach shoes and light hikers dont have much support. Superfeet footbeds/insoles will help ALOT. Highly recommended if you're gonna be doing longer hikes.

Hope this helped! :)

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
For Running? simply Addias...i swear by it, they make some of the best running ever....they feel good from new to old...i had a pair for four years...wore them atleast 4 times a week....they are also known for the only atlethic shoe company to have good paying manufactuers in other countries...

New Balance is good for the few first weeks then they start to get really uncomfortable and they start to feel like you are running in 10 pound boots...

Adil M

Supporting Actor
I like New Balance and Adidas (damn ugly shoes now).
They wear in a couple of days and are heaven untill they wear out.
Nike shoes (I've had plenty) just stink, except for basketball. I do like those new neoprene sock-like shoes, but noe for running just ease of use.

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
I just buy cheap Nikes (about $50) every six months or so. Works for me. I run 30-35 miles per week when the roads and sidewalks aren't covered with ice or snow, and the only times I have problems are after long layoffs from running. Once I'm used to running again, I never get shin splints or a sore lower back or whatever. I've had people tell me that you have to go to a "specialty running-shoe store" to get appropriate shoes, but there's nothing like that in my area.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Nick

thanks for the pointers! basically it'll probably be kept-trails with mulch, so "approach shoes" are it. unless some Kiwis here tell me that South Island in autumn is wet...

apart from Hitecs, any other brands to look out for? e.g. how are New Balance walking shoes? although the missus is now complaining that they seem a little slippery on wet surfaces, so those vibram soles you mentioned certainly seem to be something to look for.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
slightly OT but it's right up your alley, what about hiking shoes then? I need to get a pair of decent hiking/walking shoes for an upcoming trip to New Zealand's South Island, where the wife wants to go on short nature trails. she's already picked up a pair of New Balance walking shoes, I was going to buy a pair of Hi Tec shoes but they didn't have my size...
I just got a pair of VASQUE IBEX boots at www.sierratradingpost.com and I'm very happy with them. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.asp

I disagree slightly with Nick about Vibram™ soles. I personally avoid them because they are very hard on trails. Softer soled shoes are much more trail friendly, and they grip just fine on the rocks and places where you need it. Vibrams may perform better, but it's not worth tearing up the trails IMO.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i stand by my new balance 763's, i have a nice ne pair to use when these ones are through. i used to run in nike, and got away from that. asics arent bad, but i prefer new balance. and as if you didnt need to be told, avoid reebok like the plague. or if you want to be safe, avoid the plague like reebok running shoes.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks