What's new

Need advice on midlevel HT system (1 Viewer)

fade21

Auditioning
Real Name
Jake
-in military
-stationed in germany
-have to buy everything on base or online or else euro makes things expensive
-me and wife wanted a better HT setup so bought biggest TV on base
-tv is a JVC HD-Z61RF7 for $2600, hope I didnt get screwed cause i bought it in germany
-also have 360 elite which is currently my dvd player
-used to use a pansonic HTIB for DVD and 5.1 sound but its not dual voltage so hard to use in europe

Now I'm kinda suck though. I've never bought a receiver before, differences in costs and features seem a bit overwhelmingly. I have a list of wants and would like some advice on everything.

-I'd like to have at least 5.1 but hopefully 7.1 sound
-upconversion of all video sources so my reg cable/sat/ look better that it does on most peoples, I find reg tv almost always looks like crap, thats why it took a long time to upgrade to hi def
-blueray player since it looks like it won the battle and to make my current dvds look better (360 doesn't upconvert I'm told)
-HDMI to make connections simple
-easy setup of audio would be nice too since im not much good at that

I was thinking maybe a PS3 for the bluray player, and I found a receiver on base that seems to provide a lot of the qualities id like to have. It's a JVC 412B hybrid digital receiver. Has HDMI, upconversion, 7.1 sound, and some other neat stuff but I don't know about getting it. It runs really hot, I touched a demo model, and it seems too cheap for all those features at $380. I have NO idea on speakers though. I was hoping to find a good HTIB that had a good receiver, speakers, and maybe even bluray but it seems like those arent popular yet. There is no way my wife will let me spend too much more than $1000 to get this all done. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

fade21

Auditioning
Real Name
Jake
I was kinda hoping for some advice that addressed some specific alternatives or specifics about the equipment I already have or am thinking about getting. I'm not really interested in used receivers since I don't really trust people to take care of equipment they plan to sell, but thanks for the heads up and I guess I'll check ebay.

It doesn't seem like many people are interested in commenting on my issue. Should I repost in a different area of this website, I thought this was proper location but I guess i'm not too positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks