What's new

Need advice on 75 l enclosure (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
I have a sub that was built about 10 years ago using a Pioneer 15" DVC woofer. It was a semi-kit from PE, that I built a 75 l enclosure for. I would like to replace the Pioneer with either a Shiva or Tempest. The tempest should almost drop in, the shiva would require an additional layer of mdf with a new hole cut into it. No problem actually. This is a down firing, non-ported enclosure. I have downloaded the Adire software, but have not been able to use it enough to become functional. I am looking for advice on what speaker and how much stuffing would be a good starting place... or if ported would be better. It will be used 50/50 HT and music. The amp is 150 watts into 4 ohms, no EQ.
Thanks for your help,
-Dan
------------------
-Dan M~
My Small Collection

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Unless you are in an experimental mood and just want to mess around with a Shiva or Tempest its really not worth doing. A Shiva in 75l sealed and stuffed 100% might sound ok but you will need more than 150watts.
If I were you I would build a vented Tempest subwoofer from scratch using at least 10cuft of volume coupled with a good 250-500watt amp.

Dan M~

Second Unit
quote: If I were you I would build a vented Tempest subwoofer from scratch using at least 10cuft of volume coupled with a good 250-500watt amp. [/quote]
Heh, heh, heh... if you were me, you'd have to live within my budget too.
wink.gif

An even easier answer would be to call SVS and have them send me out two of everything!!
But really, the Adire white papers suggest an alignment of 65 l for the Tempest (sealed, high Q of .9) and less then that for the Shiva. So an cabinet with a larger volume can not be too bad. Can someone make some recomendations for these drivers in a 75l cabinet.
Thanks,
Dan
------------------
-Dan M~
My Small Collection
[Edited last by Dan M~ on October 23, 2001 at 01:54 PM]

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
But really, the Adire white papers suggest an alignment of 65 l for the Tempest (sealed, high Q of .9) and less then that for the Shiva. So an cabinet with a larger volume can not be too bad. Can someone make some recomendations for these drivers in a 75l cabinet.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If you want a high Q sub then go for it, forget about trying to vent such a small enclosure, sealing it will be your best bet..and of course the Shiva would be the better choice since the vas is so much less.
Will it sound good?....Not in my opinion and most every other subwoofer builder here will tell you the same thing.
I will add that with a big amp and an EQ it will sound alot better.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Just FYI a Shiva 100% stuffed in 75L will get you about a .7Q and a Tempest 100% stuffed will get you about a .85Q.
A .7Q will sound ok for movies and will suck for music while a .85Q will suck altogether.
I am not trying to sound negative here but I am telling you how it is so perhaps you don't have to waste your $$.
Maybe you should look into getting one of those cheap Sony subs instead.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I just built a shiva in about an 85L enclosure and it sounds excellent. I would definately go for the shiva instead of the tempest in an enclosure that size. The 150 watt amp will do fine if it is a true 150 watts. going to 250 will only get you about 3db more anyway if all the specs were the same on the amps. If the adire white papers list a 75L alignment then I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I would add a generous amount of polyfill stuffing to make the enclosure seem a bit larger, but I couldnt be more pleased with my shiva. ( any louder and I think it would crack my drywall :) ) I prefer the sound of a low Q sealed box for both movies and music. In my opinion if musical instruments sound accurate, then explosions and stuff will also. Anyway, try it out, what do you have to lose! You can always use the driver in another box if you don't like it.

Dan M~

Second Unit
James and Stephen,
Thanks for the input. I'm still considering my options.
I need to go back and re-read the white papers and refresh my memory on what they say.
Thanks again for your help.
-Dan
------------------
-Dan M~
My Small Collection

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Have you considered the 12" Parts Express DVC driver? Looks like its got the same displacement volume as the Shiva but with a 20% lower Vas and a 5% lower Qts. Its part number 295-185.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks