What's new

need a straight answer please (1 Viewer)

Brian Heitert

Auditioning
do unshielded speakers have an adverse effect on rptv or is this just a tube tv issue. i can not seem to get a straightforward answer from any one please reply

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Brian;
Theoretically, the magnets of a speaker can affect an RPTV in the same way as a regular set. An RPTV contains CRTs, just like a direct-view set (an RPTV has three as opposed to one for direct view). Nevertheless, by the nature of their designs, all CRTs (including those in an RPTV) are susceptible to magnetic interference.
Having said that, the design of an RPTV may make it more difficult for them to be affected by speaker magnets. The RPTV chassis is much larger and the CRTs are located lower in the box, at the front of the set, in the middle. Therefore, there is simply more physical distance between them and your speaker magnets than there would be with a direct-view set (where the CRT is right behind the chassis).
I guess it would depend on how large the magnets are, how close they are to the set and their positioning relative to the low position of the CRTs in the RPTV.
So is that a clear answer?
wink.gif
I guess, to make it short and simple - yes, they can be affected, but due to the design, it is more difficult for them to be affected.
____
Jeff

Brian Heitert

Auditioning
thank you very much jeff. that was a great answer to my question. if you could answer one more. i would have asked it in my first post but i have put the whole question out there and never got any sort of answer before. my problem is that my rptv has two 5 1/4" speakers that seem to be really cheaply constructed and i want to replace them. so i took them out and they do not seem to look any differently made than any other speaker, but i am sure it is safe to assume that they are shielded. how can i tell. if any way can i shield speakers myself, because i can not seem to find any shielded aftermarket speakers. thanks again

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Brian;
I would be 99.999% sure that the speakers in the TV are shielded.
You can tell the difference by looking at the magnet assembly at the back. On a non-shielded speaker, you will be able to see the magnet itself (usually a slate gray colour) at the back, oftentimes sandwiched between two thin pieces of metal.
A shielded speaker will have a metal casing around the magnet assembly and you won't be able to see the magnet.
I don't really recommend trying to shield speakers yourself. As Thomas mentions above, try and purchase drivers that are already shielded.
____
Jeff

Craig R

Auditioning
Hey Brian, Just this last weekend I took apart my Hitachi RPTV to clean the mirror and I also got to noticing the cheapo speakers. As the others have said, stick with shielded speakers for the replacements.
I am thinking of going with a shielded 2-way kit as replacements. Possibly from Adire Audio
Or from Madisound
------------------

Brian Heitert

Auditioning
thank you all for your advice and suggestions, i will only buy shielded speakers. i would like to do it real soon, and will post what i got and how they sound, if you have any other retailers that sell shielded drivers i will check them all out, thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks