What's new

Need Definitive Answer About Cables (1 Viewer)

AnnM

Agent
I'm still trying to get my system together and have run into a question that seems to elicit two different responses. So, if there are any experts out there, please help.

I'm trying to use all Acoustic Research middle grade cables because I had several from my old system.

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=11471

I need four yellow composite cables for video connections to wire the VCR to the FIOS HD box, Denon receiver, VCR and TV. I have two of these already. I went to hhGregg to buy two more and they don't carry these anymore. Here's what they suggested:

Buy one three wire yellow-white-red composite set and use either the red or white for one of the video yellow wires I need. They said all RCA wires are the same, even component. Wires are color coded yellow-red-blue-green-white to keep you connecting into the correct port.

On the other hand, I've read that I shouldn't use the red or white "audio" composite wires for video yellow because the actual wiring inside the cover is different and "audio" wires cannot carry video signals.

So, what is true? Can I use a white or red wire from a composite set for a yellow video wire as long as I keep my plugs straight and label that odd wire as yellow video?

Thanks guys. I've concluded this wiring could easily get the best of me, but I'm still plugging away. A Best Buy home theater manager was going to come by the house on Saturday and help me for free, but had to cancel, so I'm back to using your good advice and my ......determination :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You shouldn't use the red and white cables to transfer video. Video cables are supposed to be 75 ohm which the red and white are not, hence the different colors. The red and white cables are identicle. They use two different colors to make hook ups easier, white should always be for the Left audio channel and red for the Right audio channel. Yellow is for a composite video connection. The other type of video cable is component. It's a three wire cable (color coded red, blue and green) which offers a better signal transfer, and a better picture, than composite because the signal is split into thee parts. The specification for the component cables is the same as the yellow composite one, 75 ohm, but the component cables are usually of better quality. You could buy a set of the component video cables and use all three of those and one of the yellow cables you already have but I have to ask why you are using such a low connection (composite) to hook your system up with?

For audio the best cable connection is hdmi, then optical and coaxial (they perform the same) then the red and white cables.

For video it's hdmi, then component, then s-video and lastly the yellow composite connection.

If price was scaring you away from other cable types, as you can see those from Monoprice are very reasonable and of good quality. All of these types of cables are also available from Walmart, Target, etc. as well as your local drug store chain and even the hardware store. Go someplace, anyplace, other than HHGreg. They have steered you wrong.

If you give us the brand name and the exact model number of all the equipment your hooking together we can show you the best way to do it.

AnnM

Agent
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm having to use a combination of cable types because my equipment is older and only the new LG TV and the FIOS HD cable box have HDMI. Only the Sony DVD, TV, and Denon receiver have component. The Panasonic VCR has only composite connections. I listed all of the manuals in another thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/309926/need-help-setting-up-new-tv

Once I got into the manuals further, especially the FIOS, it became apparent that I needed more cables. I am trying to hook the VCR up using the guide on page 34 and the TV to cable box using guide on page 25.

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/fios/motorola%20qip7100%20user%20guide.pdf

If you would like to suggest a better way, please feel free to jump in. Looks like the internal wiring for the red-white-and yellow cables is not all the same. Correct?

AnnM

Agent
It pays to read the packaging! Just looked over the packaging of the component set versus the composite set of cables that I bought. The component set has all three-red-blue-green wires showing with a single inside wire wrapped in foil and copper braided shields. Only the yellow wire in the composite set has this. The white and red wires show two smaller wires (one red, one white) inside the outer cable cover. So, no, one cannot use these "audio" wires for another yellow video. The interesting thing is that both the red in the composite package and the red in the component look just alike on the outside, so I must be careful to label the component wires as video. Geeze. Not having fun. Still don't have enough wires and don't know who to trust at these retailers. Two of the hhGregg guys agreed they were all interchangeable.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Frankly most of the big box retailers aren't going to know the specifics of the cables they sell. BlueJeans Cable is not only a forum sponsor, but they also make great quality cables at sensible prices. One of their high quality composite video cables is essentially the same price as the AR cables HHGregg sells, and I can promise you it will be better built and better quality. The 1694A is the cheapest and probably best suited to your application:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/composite/index.htm

AnnM

Agent
Thanks, Adam. Those look like nice cables. They run about $16 each plus shipping. I'll consider them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks