What's new

NAD or ROTEL? (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
glad to be helfpul...

btw, i would discount my comments about fans...its a personal thing...

a friend of mine has a 761, you can barely hear the fan in that, the newer versions are supposed to be quieter...than again, some of or one of the NAD receivers (i forget which) had recalls to fix fans.

Rich

sylvain

Auditioning
Has anybody experienced problems with the video switching in NAD or Rotel?

I have a regular cheap TV set with a NAD T753. If I plug my video sources through the amp, the red push is so bad I can't fix it with the controls of my TV.

I suspect the TV itself has a strong red push and the addition of some color shift by the receiver makes every body look pink!

Any one ever saw that is this documented anywhere?

Thanks,
-Sylvain

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
some of the older Rotels didnt have enough bandwidth on the component video plugs to switch hi-def...I have no info on the NADs

Yes, I hate fans. I don't understand why a quality company needs to put them in. They can't find a better way?

Rich

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew Pratt

Looking at your home threatre pictures it looks like you have very little space around your amps. Is that correct, or do you have a fan in the back?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've since moved them from that spot in the rack but no there was never any heat issues...both the HK and the Rotel run very cool.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Fans are more efficient at cooling than convection alone from heatsinks, and many high-end receivers use them. NAD is certainly not the exception, though the fan system on their new receivers is supposed to be very quiet.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well guys, i know it's been a while since i posted. But i'm finally going to have to go with the T-773. I just could not touch it for the price! I got it for 1439(including shipping) at yawaonline, plus i got the new HTR-5 remote, for only 200 dollars. The rotel would have been 2000 dollars after taxes and discount. For six hundred dollars less, and actually more power than the rotel, who could resist?

The guy David at YAWA was very nice, and abviously worked with me greatly on the price. It is 'A' stock. Factory sealed

Thanks,
Eric

Erik will be proud of me!

kevitra

Second Unit
Yawa is great, as is Dave. I purchased a T752 from them and couldn't be happier with their service.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: on Yawa (my local dealer). I would have recommended you to them earlier but I didn't stumble on this thread until now.

The fans on my T762 (2 of them I think) are inaudible from my listening position (8 feet) and heck, even when I walk up to the receiver I can't hear 'em!

I think you'll like the sound of the NAD (and you also would have liked the Rotel's I'm sure). Both companies are just so far ahead of the "mass market models" in terms of power and quality. My old Sony 555ES is just gathering dust right now. ;)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, man...I used to think that denon was just all that. Then i realized that i only needed a receiver to do really one thing well(play sound). I don't really understand the need to have all of that component switching..bla..bla..bla. I mean, if you can afford to pay 4 grand for a receiver, wouldn't your other components be component quality as well(not needing switched)

Yeah, i agree that BOTH companies are just simply the best(within reason) for receivers

I heard that yamaha's are bright, denon's are harsh, i also heard that the onkyo's were both...

Yeah, i thought this(nad) was a STEAL for what i am getting. I cannot believe the price! And i think that honestly it will sound way better than the denon, or yamaha top receivers(in my opinion anyway, and at 1/3 the price) just maybe not as much gingerbread, which i would never use anyway(just look at as pretty probably)

I'm excited!

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
AND i got a pioneer elite 301 disc FD-F27 for $369 dollars. How about that huh?

I got the T773 A stock
HTR-5 remote
and FD-F27

all for 2 grand!(same price as JUST the rotel would have been). I'm VERY pleased!

And i will be able to probably sell my brand new HTR-2 remote for some cash as well!

Anyone interested? Erik might be. Just name a reasonable price. It retails for 199.99 i think. But i would be most reasonable of course, let me know

Thanks,

Eric

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
i wouldnt call denon harsh....mostly i have heard it called warm...

some other good companies make very high end receivers that can give your NAD or the Rotel a run and some many would say are better in terms of sound quality...

such as McIintosh, Arcam, Sunfire, & B&K...

Having said that you got a good price on a very fine piece of equipment.

Rich

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
thanks,

Krell, Mark Levinson, etc.

I'm flattered that you would even say that my NAD would even compare to such high end names such as McIntosh.

I have heard the top of the line mcintosh(21 individual speakers in all) while they were bringing them into the room. And they only had one of the two stereos hooked up(as they were bringing the right one in as we spoke). It was pretty amazing i thought. It was playing a classical piece

25 grand a pair..

That being said, i do realize that many things are nicer than my NAD. But from what i could gather, they and Rotel, were the best quality within my pricerange at this time. I don't think that i would be able to appreciate a class 'A' amplifier at this time. I just don't have enough experience

I am still at the 'feeling my way around a dark room stage'

So i think that the NAD is MORE than enough for me for nice listening pleasure in years to come? I'm a newbe

Thanks

Eric

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo -- not to hijack this thread, but when you do hear the fans in the T762, what exactly do you hear? I have one as well, and when I'm next to it, if I listen, I hear a humming noise. I assume that's the fan(s) inside? Like you, I only hear it if I'm right next to the unit, and then I have to actively listen for it. The receiver runs fine so I assume I shouldn't worry about the noise.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
its okay, i can let you know what mine is like when i get it in a few weeks. I wish that i could get a prologic11X software upgrade sometime soon, does eric know anything about it maybe?

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Actually, I think you will be quite surprised with NAD's EARS processing...which I believe if better than D-Prologic IIx...but that's just my opinion. I don't have any info on a software upgrade at this time...sorry.

Here's a link to EARS

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jerry- to be honest, I've never heard the even when I'm right near the receiver! However, my receiver is lower to the ground so I never stoop that low. I will listen for it tonight and post back, but I'm pretty sure that the hum you're hearing is the fans.

BTW - I believe the T762 has "smart" fans that vary RPMs depending on heat. And my apartment has been very cool and I have plenty of space around the receiver for airing it out, so maybe mine have never kicked into "high gear."

I honestly don't know why NAD fans are an issue for people unless the older models had high speed, non-smart fans that just whined all the time. I have seriously never, and I mean never, heard my fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks