NAD or ROTEL?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ericanthonE, Feb 24, 2004.

1. ericanthonE

ericanthonE Stunt Coordinator

Hi, i was planning on buying a rotel 1067 soon? Is this a good choice. I have also considered the NAD T773. Should i go separates? or is these amplifiers more than adequate? I don't like things really loud, just very good sounding(we can all probably appreciate that). I really liked the ROTEL separates, (they are not that expensive). And then i would get probably an Anthem20? controller or whatever the exact number of it is. Any recommendations. Thanks.(would rather not spend more than the 1067 if that adequated)

~Eric

my system is 2 BP7002TL Mains
    1 C/L/R 2500 center
    4 BPX surrounds

2. Leo

Leo Second Unit

If you have a chance, audition the NAD T163. Not sure of your price range, but the T163/T973 NAD combo is fantastic.

3. ericanthonE

yeah, i was looking at that. Sorta costly though. I don't have a dealer around here who has it on display(have listened to 742) the one that is 50watt rated. I thought it sounded nice, but what do i really know. I'm just a newbe, and he was playing music(a classical piece which i am not familiar with). He(the owner was going on and on about how watts were not important). I didn't know whether to believe him or not?

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

In a way, the dealer is correct. First off, the methods of listing power ratings varies wildly. Don't know about the NAD, but Rotel is good in this regard. Secondly, doubling the power rating only equals a three decibel increase in sound pressure. So, it kind of depends on how hard you're going to drive your speakers and what efficiency your speakers are.

As for the two companies, I've heard the NAD has great sound quality, but haven't heard for myself. I've heard, auditioned, and owned Rotel gear before and love the sound. Rotel also, from experience, has excellent customer service and really does a great job with firmware upgrades.

5. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Eric, I am an NAD dealer and have also owned and do own some Rotel gear as well. Both are excellent companies who provide amazing bang for your buck products. I'll be happy to answer any of your questions about either NAD or Rotel products...and share what might be the best bank for your buck product given your budget. Feel free to email me offline too, if you'd like.

6. ericanthonE

well i definitely wanted to keep it under 2 grand for the amplification. Because i still want to buy a dvd-2200 and a pioneer multi disc cd changer. I think that i will do separates after medical school(god willing)

I also don't want to really cheat myself out of good sound from good speakers either. I think that is what leads me to the top end NAD and ROTEL receivers. A great sound at a reasonable price? Should i consider others? They seem like the nicest to me

7. Erik Farstad

Eric, well you've picked two great companies...for they both offer products that have real specs...meaning they will perform as advertised, as opposed to many other manufacturers that do not produce their rated specs...when NAD says 7 x 110W Minimum Continuous Power into 4 / 8 ohms, all channels driven simultaneously...they mean it. Unlike others who "say that" but it's really only 2 channels being driven.

Both NAD and Rotel are both "audio first" companies...though I'm a NAD dealer, I still have no trouble recommending Rotel.

8. ericanthonE

yes, i am aware of the unhonest ratings that companies pull on consumers. And i don't like things like that, and really would not want to give them my business.

Well, it would probably be the T-773 by NAD

Or the ROTEl-1067(which i'm pretty much sold on)

If you could get me the rotel, that would be great, i would love to give you my business. I really didn't to be honest like the guy at my Rotel dealership, so i would rather deal with someone else, like you..

You should know that it will probably be a month before i buy this. My speakers have not come in yet even. i still owe 400 bucks on them(paid 4000) and that's after 23% off msrp almost(def. tech). So i am trying to recover from that as i speak. I REALLY like the silver series, but VERY expensive. I'm sorry it could not be right away as you would like...

9. Erik Farstad

Glad you have figured out the "rating trick" some manufacturers use!

The Silver Series IS VERY NICE indeed![​IMG]

Eric, I sent you an email...

10. ericanthonE

something about the federal something only requires amps to be rated into 2 channels.

11. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

Actually, the FTC only requires that you state how the power was rated. Consequently, one manufacturer might specify minimum power output across 20 Hz to 20 kHz with all channels driven, while another manufacturer might specify only maximum power output at 1 kHz with only 2 channels driven. This is why your Home Theater In a Box might have the same power rating as an NAD or Rotel, while it delivers only a fraction of the performance.

12. Erik Farstad

...hence the "trick!" [​IMG] Most manufacturers now the fair and apples to apples way to share their specs...but they choose, which is legal, to sell and orange as an apple! [​IMG]

13. DarrylR

DarrylR Auditioning

I'd also like to know what people think because I am seriously considering the NAD T773 to push my JM LAb Electras

14. Erik Farstad

Darryl, like Eric...try to locate a NAD dealer or reseller in your area. If you're having trouble finding one, shoot me an email and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

15. ericanthonE

okay, so NAD or ROTEL, and why?

Thanks

Eric

16. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

my suggestion would be to get a 1055/1056 and then some separate amplification later, or the 1075...should make it close the 1067's price...i would say its better to go that route...or you could try the nad 163 and rotel 1075...

having said that, reasons for each

Rotel:
    1) no fan
    2) excellent build quality
    3) proven that the company updates its stuff and doesn't often release new models (i.e. more important to them to support their existing models)
    4) very easy to use

NAD:
    1) more powerful than the rotel
    2) promises to upgrade stuff this time around
    3) never used, but supposedly a very good remote, at least compared to the rotel...
    4) more digital inputs

having said that, i would go by sound quality to me...they are both very good in that area...if equal, i would go with the rotel, i believe that their quality control and support for their products is much greater...NAD has had lots of problems with QC on their receivers, and instead of updating their prodcuts, they have followed the mass marketers approach of putting out new receivers...i also hate fans

Rich

17. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Erik Farstad,

I sent you an email. Could you let me know if you receive it?

Thanks

18. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd agree with everything Rich wrote...go Rotel its a proven product backed by people that really do care.

19. ericanthonE

yeah, i'm like drueling over the ROTEL right now(dreaming about it. I think that i'm going to go with it from what i hear.

20. ericanthonE

hey rich, thanks a lot, your reply really helped me out. Let me know that you were knowledgeable in order to trust your opinion. thanks

Eric