What's new

NAD or ROTEL? (1 Viewer)

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
well, i'm not a big fan of dolby, i think that dts is better from what i can read. and it does have neo:6, which is really nice i think.

I'm inclined to agree early that EARS is WAY better than the other mass market processing.

I think that this receiver will be very straightforward for me to use, and i'm appreciative of that. I don't really require all of the 'disco', 'hall'.bla, bla. I would probably never even use them anyway.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
have a look at the newcastle p-965 and A-965. these are great performers. Do a search here and on avsforum. they are 1499 a peice. the p965 comes with a HTR 5 remote. so I guess that's 200 bucks saved. From what I have been reading these units sound unbeliveable...It will be worth your while to check it out.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
darryl-

I am getting the receiver today, and my speaker retailer is letting me use his Def Tech BP7002 until mine come in(i ordered all cherry-so delays the shipment). So i will let you know by this weekend how it sounds.

Thanks
~Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
oh man guys. I love it!

I would say that the sound is very delicate yet precise, with a warmer tonal quality. emphasize DELICATE. I think that it does a very good job of layering the sound so to speak that way you get more of a sense of what exactly makes up your musical pieces. I think that it sounds VERY natural, which is all of what i could have hoped for. I am very pleased with it!

Definitely has enough power if you have speakers that only need to be driven into 8ohm freq.

Setup is extremely easy. I plugged the NAD in and it sounded fantastic right out of the box(prior to even setting it up). Which i beleive to be of the unusual from what i can compare and contrast to other reviews that i have read of other receivers on the mass market.

I am using just 2 speakers right now(Definitive technology BP2006TL). Which are just phenomenal! I am getting two BP7002's(which are just coming out) 1 CLR2500 and 4BPX's, and i'm sure that it will bring tears to my eyes the naturality,warmth, precision, and low freq. produced by a combination of both the speakers and the receiver.(literally)

I think that speakers are more important(in my opinion)

But, i think that it is important to give them the amplification quality needed to allow them to do their just.
The NAD T773 does just that!

The NAD is as quiet as a tomb. I hear no fans whatsoever.

VERY diverse sound! I was playing classical music, and it was just so tender and gentle-yet precise, that i thought, well this thing will probably not be very good for music alternatives such as Rap/R&B. WRONG! It is like this receiver literally reads your mind! Packs one HELL of a punch as far as low frequencies are concerned when necessary. Reciever is just as appealing/yet different on both classical as well as RAP/R&B

One thing that i don't like though, is that yesterday i noticed a slight hiss(very slight) coming out of the speakers whenever nothing was playing, yet the receiver volume was on(and barely on). If you turned the volume level just a little bit to 'mute'. The hiss would disappear. The slight hiss(and you would have to have your ear against speaker to hear it) is relatively the same slight loudness all the way through the different volume ranges. What is that? Does Erik know?

Anyway, i set it up yesterday, and i think that it has disappeared(but not quiete sure)

I will defintely update you guys again in a few more days when i get some more insight as to how it sounds.

oh, and the HTR-5, is cool as shit!. I think that it is a phillips pronto relabed, but not exactly sure. Anyway, it makes things SOO much easier, and finally there is a nice way to convert all of your remotes into one without hassle

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
hi again, yes i am no audio reviewer, but i would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions

Thanks,

~Eric

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Eric. Congratulations! My first question: I've heard some complaints relating to hum (electrical interference from the power supply) in the 753... Is the 773 free from this? And you consider the hiss you're hearing to be inconsequential, correct? What about the quality of the video switching? Is the OSD available over the component outputs, or just the composite and S-video outputs? Do you notice any delays between tracks of CDs, if you're using a digital connection? Any pops when changing modes, volume level, decoding, etc.?

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Are you running a powerline conditioner?

I can hear a hiss on my T752 if I have it plugged into just a power strip-when it's behind my PLC it's quiet as a tomb.

rogo

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
We should differentiate between a hiss and a hum (which have become inadvertently synonymous).

I have a T762 that has hiss I can hear when I'm within 2-3 feet of my speakers. From any normal listening position it is inaudible. Even when I hooked up my line conditioner the hiss does not disappear. Yet I do not consider this to be a problem or a bug. Many receivers and amps have some level of hiss if you get close enough to the speaker. If it's inaudible from your listening position, it's not a bug.

However there have been reports of an electrical hum or buzz in some NAD units (not mine) and that should be considered a defect.

Again, a hiss (inaudible from listening position) is not a problem. Hum/buzz is a problem.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
oh no, this is definitely a slight 'hiss'. Is not even audible from 2-3 feet. I hear no hum. If i hit mute, there is NO noise coming out of the speakers. I think that it could have to do with the poor recordings the hiss i am hearing. However. I will be listening to this all day today, and playing around. Have not really listened a lot yet, plus MOTHER was home. Enough said!

I am running a radioshack digital optic. I was going to upgrade to a monster 200 digital optic. Is this going to help? However, i still hear the slight hiss on the radio stations, which i first, and could possibly be channel interference, but i'm not sure

If i get a hum, this puppy is going straight back to yawa for sure!

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
i'm sorry, but 'even when you hooked up the line conditioners, the hiss does not appear'. This fixed the problem? Or type error?

Thanks.

I will let DarrylM know about his questions, but first of all i have not used the digital upconversion yet.

I have an S-video only DVD player that i need to hook up, and my television is component. So this would be a good idea to try his question on?

Was going to do this sometime today.

You should note that i would not have purchased this product if i wanted upconversion, probably would have bought one with more bells and wistles such as the denon.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
darrylM...

In answer to your questions. I hear a 'hiss' on some of the tracks. I THINK that it is yes 'inconsequential' meaning that it is leading from poor audio recordings. If i listen to classical recordings, i hear no hiss, and it is crystal clear. I mean you have to have your ear RIGHT up to the speaker to hear this slight hiss. It is inaudible from even say about 6 inches away.

Either way i don't like it! Because i have had 150 dollar receivers that did not do that!!

The OSD i believe is only available through S-video and composite via. the monitor out. I'm almost absolutely sure that it cannot be done into component.(Reading the manual). Said only/indicated only s-video/composite.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO DELAY between tracks after the CD player has changed song tracks!

The sound is truly incredible!! Truly. I attribute that mostly to the quality speakers though!

I am just being EXTREMELY critical when talking about the hiss, which is not even noticable to me AT ALL. I just have the habit of putting my ear up to the speakers for a 'linus security blanket' way of appreciating low distortion. ONLY then the ear is seriously touching the speaker cover can you hear this even SLIGHT hiss.

Either way, shouldn't probably be there for something retailing around 2 grand, and whose focus is primarily on audio.

No, i am not running a power conditioner. Should i get one??

Thanks

~Eric

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
Darryl.

No pops whatsoever when it comes to volume. between tracks i do notice an apparent 'pop'. But it does not bother me none, and i didn't know that it is not supposed to be there?

Again, what would fix these problems.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
i'm sorry, but i will have to amend my previous statement and agree with carlo...

there is a slight 'hiss' that appears when you hit pause on the CD player, meaning that it is inconsequential of the CD, and dependant on the amplifier itself.

I don't see this as a problem either. It is only really audible at very high levels. I am only about 6 feet from spefakers. And it is LOUD whenever you unhit the pause, almost too uncomfortable to listen to. I see really no signs of the sound flattening that much at higher volume levels. It really i think depends on the recording level also.

Darryl. Maybe you should look at Monoblocks such as Mark levinson, Krell, McIntosh, etc.

The NAD is not perfect, but the sound is phenomenal! And for the money, i would say that it is pretty impossible to beat.

Look at the Rotel, I think that you will find it to be maybe of more quality. I thought that it maybe way, but wasn't really sure. And for 600 dollars, i didn't really think that it could have possibly made that much of a difference to me

hope this helps...

Thanks

~Eric

DanaA

Screenwriter
Just to put in my two cents regarding NAD's sonics. This weekend, I visited a company that is starting to build its own line of high end speakers. They sell gear, some of which costs much more than NAD. I was told that they felt the NAD preamp/processor outperformed the other components and that is why they were using that to demonstrate their prototype speaker. I sat and listened for at least two hours and was bowled over by how good everything sounded. It WAS the finest listening experience I've ever had and that's really saying quite a bit. I know a great part were the amazing speakers, but like the saying goes, "Garbage in/Garbage out"

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
for the money, you really couldn't complain. And i don't think that things are really going to get all that much better than this. It truly is an experience! I like how the NAD brings everything, all of the instruments to morely the same level? At least i think so, really helps you to understand the music better.

Although not perfect, nothing is, and you are going to end up paying 20 grand or so to make things even MAYBE a little better. So what's the point i think. And i think that the speakers are truly what is important!

I am completely satisfied, and i would recommend it to anyone!

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
oh and the popping is only apparent from louder listening levels. If you listen to it moderately, you cannot hear it. 'inaudible'

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
darrylm

look into maybe taking a monoblock and splitting it somehow to run all of your channels. That is probably your best bet if you are extremely picky. Look into buying a used one(for the technology really doesn't go many places with them.

I think that somehow you can run them into all channels if you really know your stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks