What's new

My Xbox is dead... already (1 Viewer)

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I must say, I'm a little bit frustrated. I was a little reluctant to buy a console at all, but when both the PS2 and the Xbox dropped to $299CDN, I couldn't help but pick one up. I decided to go Xbox simply because of the beefier hardware. I'v regretted it since because their have been so many great titles released in the last 18 months for the PS2, but I'v always kept a close eye on the upcoming Xbox release list because it to will have some great titles arriving soon (SegaGT 2K2 for example).

But the other day I went to play a demo disc in my Xbox and I got the typical error declaring that the disc is either not a game, DVD, or audio disc or is scratched. No biggie... I popped in an Evangelion DVD. Didn't work. Dropped in the Friday DVD. Didn't work. Dropped in my most scratched AudioCD... it worked. Once. So now I'm stuck with an Xbox that won't play game, movie, or audio discs. It is only 3 months old and I'v logged less than 20 hours of playing time on it.

Thank goodness I bought the service plan at work on it.

Has anybody else suffered any problems with their Xboxs? We get a lot of them returned at work and even 2 of our demo units have died the same fate mine has.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I hear ya brother. I bought mine on launch day. It's been fine up until a month or 2 ago. It's been getting worse with the bullshit read errors.

I put in Enclave last night. Brand spanking new. Not a hair on it. "read error".

I told my girlfriend if I was rich I would've thrown the fucking thing out the window and shot it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the xtended plan. Bend over, for me.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I sell the machines at work so now I have extra incentive to push our "service plan." Hell, it isn't really even a "service plan..." we just give them a new machine when theirs brakes...
I feel bad for you though, I'v heard that the average cost of repair is $150US. For that you might as well just buy a brand new machine! :frowning:

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Go by another one and swap them and return the bad one. tell them you go the XBOX as a gift but you need the money, or just tell them the XBOX doesn't work and you have no faith in that system and don't want another one. Buy the second one from a store with a good return policy.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I sell the machines at work so now I have extra incentive to push our "service plan." Hell, it isn't really even a "service plan..." we just give them a new machine when theirs brakes...

I feel bad for you though, I'v heard that the average cost of repair is $150US. For that you might as well just buy a brand new machine!
I bought a 2 year extended service plan on my Xbox, it was $50 Canadian.... Not too bad for unlimited protection, as long as the warenty stickers on the bottom are not broken (only real condition I believe).

Only downside is, they don't give you a NEW machine, they give you a refurb model... Not sure if it's the same south of the border, but it's all I've encountered in Canada....

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I bought a 1 year plan for $20. The guy who sold me the plan said I could bring it back for any reason, even implying that some people bring theirs back near the end of the warranty period for a new one. Which is what I'll do.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
All this talk about Xboxes dying is actually starting to scare me. I've had mine since last December, and still no problems. Can't say that I've EVER had a console break on me, but I've heard about Xboxes and ps2s dying left right and center. I guess that the current generation of machines has more moving parts to break than previous ones, but still, is it just that we're hearing from the 5% that have problems and not the 95%, or are there really that many problems with the hardware.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Make that 10,001. Bought it at launch, no problems what so ever. Not even a read error. I've never had a problem with any console though, of the ones I've owned. NES, Genesis, and PSX.
The same problems come with computers. I constantly hear friends or family or random people complaining that their computers suck, or windows bloze and that they constantly get errors. Having built every one of my computers over the past 6 years I never have had those kind of problems. There is the occasional glitch but nothing earth shattering like some of these people mention. Just makes you wonder if some people are putting out some kind of electrical disturbance causing their equipment to fail. :D

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
the swap idea someone suggested wont work. check the bottom of the box, it has a hole so the units serial number can be read and scanned at the time of purchase.

if you try to return a different unit that what you originally bought, you will be SOL.

sorry, good idea though. ; )

Joe michaels

Second Unit
the swap idea someone suggested wont work. check the bottom of the box, it has a hole so the units serial number can be read and scanned at the time of purchase.
You have to switch the label. It will work. I did it with my PS2. It's just a sticker. When my PS2 broke I went into a Toys R US and told an employee about it and HE told me to do this. I only had a PS2 for a short period of time.

Joe michaels

Second Unit
That's right. I know in a sense it's wrong, but isn't it just as wrong to buy something that konks out right after 90 days?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks