What's new

My Tool Concert Experience (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
So, being a huge fan of Tool I of course go to see them live. Anyway, I had seen them before the 7/18 show in Tucson, in Phoenix the previous October. Simply phenomenal live band there's absolutely no doubt about it. Anyway, me and a friend wait 6 hours outside the arena in the hot to get very close in the general admission area. So we do, and the crowd is very congested. Opening band (Tomahawk) plays, no big deal. Not bad, but not good either, they sounded much better on their album. After that gets done, the pushing starts. Guys who didn't wait for close seats start acting like jackasses and decide to push till they get the position they want. Moshing and pushing at a Tool concert just doesn't fit. The REAL fans just want to enjoy the music. Next to me was a big guy that was just pushing at will. I told him "cut it out dude your pissing me off". He of course responded with "this is what you do at shows". Being a smaller guy, I'm 5'7 but only 120 pounds. Me and my friend are just getting crushed. So we decide to just crowd surf out and get seats (it's the only way to get out). Anyway, my friend does a perfect Wayne's World float out of there even though they tried to steal his shoes. I go up and am just flying every which way. One guy takes my shoe just as I grab it in my hand. Were both pulling on it. I get thrown over the rail and enjoy the show from seats with one shoe. Funny huh? After the concert on the flooor of the general admission area is literally like shoes laying everywhere. Security wouldn't even let me check. So that sucked. I leave and as I leave I saw 3 other fellow one shoed people. On a GOOD note, Tool rules, gives their all, and shows that their still is good musicians devoted to creating good, talented music out there. Don't let my experience detract you from seeing them.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to catch them this tour in St Paul MN in september. I skipped the last tour since I don't care for the new material, hopefully it'll be worth going. I got seats :)
(I did catch them back in 98 or so, they played portland OR while on ozz fest all by themselves)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
What is it with these assholes who feel that they have to beat the living crap out of complete strangers because "that's what you do at a show?!?!!"

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Don't let my experience detract you from seeing them.
Well, that seems like a lovely experience, Rich. I want to do that too! :)
Seriously, though, when I used to be assigned to cover and review this sort of stuff for a living, I was a bit irritated when my photographer and I would be caught up in the maelstrom of human inertia and be unable to do our jobs. We needed to move around to to do our own gigs.
What got me was the unlikely sorts of acts that drew these moshers. PJ Harvey, for example--at the Hollywood Palladium. I mean, some acts I can understand, but P J Harvey? (I remember hearing one gentleman behind me that night as my photog and I meandered our way up front. I turned on my penlight and opened my small reporter's notebook, and the friendly fellow behind me growled, "He's a goddamned writer.")
I felt vulnerable in the darkness that night.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
"There used to be a bunch of assholes that lived in this part of the building. But we systematically removed them like you would any termite or roach."-MJK

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Man, I REALLY want to see Tool. I've seen Ozz 3 times now, and I've seen just about all the bands I'd care too. However there are three bands left that I'd like to see, and Tool is at the top of that list.

The others are The Rolling Stones and Metallica if anyone cares.

There is no band making better music than tool right now IMO.

-Marshall

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Tool is awesome. I envy your night Rich. The only time I saw them was on the 2nd stage of Lollapalooza ('93 I think it was). Before Undertow had really done anything.
But it was clear to all in the muddy mosh-pit field that we were seeing a kick-ass band. Seriously, we all went straight out and bought the album ASAP, that's how good a show they put on. It's rare for a band to win you over with their first live show (that you see, I mean). Without knowing the songs the live music can sometimes get lost with the general live problems.
Man it was hot that day. They were cool enough to use Supersoakers on us during the show (the band I mean). A bit of water in that situation is like salvation. :)
Also, speaking of pits/moshing, it can be just great with the smart crowd. My 2 favorite concerts both involve full-on moshing from me - 92 Lolla and Nirvana @ the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago (In Utera tour just before he killed himself).
At Lolla it was like 95 out at least and Pearl Jam went on 2nd. I barely survived that pit it was so hot and physical (not punching, just good moshing). Vedder lept off the scaffolding from at least 10 feet above the crowd. Incredible. Just as I was recovering (I mean the heat was killing me) out comes Soundgarden 4th. I made it through the whole set, but I had to go sit down for about 2 hours by a wall and just drink water. :)
Evening ended with a very fun, open and bouncy pit for the Chilli Peppers. Several times I would get knocked down and before I even hit the ground a couple of people were lifting me back up - very good pit manners (sounds dumb, but if you have been in many of them you know what I mean). At one point I was moshing with this guy twice my size (looked a lot like Crawdaddy actually) and we just were having a blast.
Then for Nirvana, despite having a wall down the middle to keep it under control, the crowd was intense (in a good way). The pit for Mudhoney was terrific and their set was as good as you could have imagined it. Got your money's worth right there. Nirvana just tore the place up and ended with Cobain doing a RUNNING (from backstage no less, had to be 20 feet honestly) jump into the crowd.
As we drove back to Indy that night I was in that blissful state after you've exercised really intensely, just calm and happy. Everybody in the car crashed except me, the driver. I was just jamming to An American Prayer by the Doors which one of my buddies had just turned me on to. It was a magical night.
I kept my shoe in both instances. :) But then I saw Blind Melon @ the Vogue in Indy and there were a couple of frat boys trying to turn that into an Anthrax show in a much smaller area. Got so bad that the band stopped the show and threatened to call it a night. Some guys just don't get it.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
The Aragon Ballroom, my 2nd favorite place to see a show. The Riviera being my #1.
Seth, the 1st time I ever heard Tool was on the 2nd stage at the '93 Lollapalooza in Chicago. I went out the next day and bought their CD and Rage Against the Machine's CD. My 1st experiences with both bands was that day at Lolla, and they are now 2 of my all time favorite bands. I also had Maynard sitting in front of me during Rage, but at the time I didn't know it. When I saw him on stage, I then realized it. :frowning:
I was supposed to go to that Nirvana show, but the guy who was supposed to get us tickets "forgot" to get up in the morning. It also took some major work to get our money back (some friend). Not seeing Nirvana live is one thing that I regret in life. :angry:
I did get to see Alice in Chains twice on the Dirt tour (at the Riv in Chicago and at Lolla) so I guess that helps ease the pain. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm seeing Tool for the second time at the Continental Arena August 15th. I saw them last Dec. at MSG. Very talented, excellent visual show too - sychronized perfectly with their music... and Tool's drummer is very innovative. one of the best.

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Tool here in Sept. WOW!!! As far as the asses go, just do like I do, carry one of those 'tasers'. They're fairly cheap, and they DO get people out of your way without them knowing you did it.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Not to turn this into an Ozzy thread, but is Mike "Puffy" Bordin (formerly of Faith No More, a band that deserves its own thread) still Ozzy's drummer?

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to see Tool for the first this past Friday night in Austin. One helluva of an incredible live act! For the most part I prefer the smaller dive type show, but I will go and see Tool any day. Their performance was simply awesome. And Maynard is so inspiring. I left the show with this good feeling all over (not really sure how to describe it).
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I'm going to see them September 4th in St. Paul, MN, too at Xcel Energy Center. I missed them the last time they came around so I'm really looking forward to the show...

Scott.

StevenW

Second Unit
I saw Tool in Vegas a couple weeks ago....absolutely amazing show. The BEST I have seen. Their new alex grey stage setup is breathtaking imo.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Sept 7, Moline, IL!!!

Looking forward to the show!

I'm dragging my wife along with me and a friend and his girl will be going as well, so probably no moshing for me. We all have seats.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to see them September 4th in St. Paul, MN, too at Xcel Energy Center. I missed them the last time they came around so I'm really looking forward to the show...
haha hope you got good seats, and that it's a good show :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks