What's new

My Tool Concert Experience (1 Viewer)

Gregory E

Second Unit
Well, I just saw my first TOOL concert last night. What an amazing experience! I've been a fan for years, but haven't been able to catch them live. I was supposed to see them last year in Dayton, OH. But the show was scheduled to be September 12th and well....you can guess. But last night I made the 3 hour trip down to Huntington, WV to finally see their show. It was incredible! The music. The visual effects. I don't really know how to describe it. TOOL is without a doubt my favorite band ever. And the drummer, Danny Carey, is the man. I've seen a lot of great drummers, but he blows them all out of the water. The only thing that detracted from the show was the group of rednecks that just come to the shows to beat people up. They just don't "get it". I'm also going to the Cincinnati show in a few weeks, and hopefully it won't be quite so rough since there is no general admission.
TOOL is a must see concert experience! It would be awesome if they released a live DVD of this tour...

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I figure I might as well chime in. I saw them twice last year once in Birmingham, AL (it came a damn flood) but the show was still great. Heard the Melvins for the first time at that show (I like their riffs but good grief move on with the songs). Two nights later I saw them in Memphis, TN and it was incredible. The moshers are some crazy bastards. I don't get it but we found they like to get right up front and center and if you can get back from the stage about 150 feet you were okay(this was in a Coliseum). In Memphis they were with Tricky, if you have never heard him/them consider yourself lucky they suck.

My buddy then saw them the next night in Nashville but I had a final that night so I couldn't go. He recorded it though and it was very good show. Do you know how hard it is to get recording equipment into a show? Hard as hell they have better security than airports.

I then saw the Melvins in Nashville about 2-3 months ago. I will never ever go to another one of their shows. They were okay but like I said earlier I don't care for their music. But the moshers. My buddy, same one, was recording it and we got the absolute hell beat out of us. There was no escaping it. We aren't small guys either, 6' @ 200lbs. There were beer bottles flying through the air, big fat guys sticking their arms out and running, and people who had to be high trowing elbows. Not a pleasant experience.

Doug

ryan davis

Stunt Coordinator
For the people that have gone to see them recently, what did the performers do during the intermission (if this even happend). Last Tool show i went to there were two naked people hanging upside down waving around in unthinkable positions for an hour. Wierdo stuff. Ill be seeing them on the 6th in Ames. I definately cant wait, and ive already seen them 3 times.

StevenW

Second Unit
Yep, I was hoping theyd have somehting like that again this year. It was fun stuff to watch.
They dont have the contortionists this time out, BUT they have a new stage set up that blew me away to say the least.
Its really amazing to see :emoji_thumbsup:

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I went to a Tool show with Kabir of toolshed.down.net back in December of 1996. We got to spend a couple of hours before and after the show hanging out with Maynard in his dressing room, talking about music, BSing, etc. Before the show, he invited us to the sound check, and we ended up on stage about a foot from Justin Chancellor the whole time. Hands down that was one of the most fun things I've ever done.
They played, H., Third Eye and Stinkfist for their soundcheck. If you think those songs are intense at a concert when you're in the crowd, you cannot imagine what it's like being wrapped up in the middle of that intensity.
Tool was my favorite band -before- that night, so you can imagine how I felt after. :D

DougRogers

Stunt Coordinator
I just got of the phone with my buddy, fresh off his trip from Virginia and South Carolina. He said the new set was "totally tits" but the set list wasn't too different from last year. I guess I could have gone to toolshed.down.net to figure that one out but I haven't. Anyway, he said that overall it was a good series of shows. In one of the venues, VA or SC, I don't remember which, he said they went through security 4 times. Geez, all that for someone who dresses up like a smurf/reverend/nudist. ;)
Doug

Gregory E

Second Unit
I just got back from seeing TOOL again, this time in Cincinnati. What a show! What an experience! These guys are really at the top of their game right now. This show was even better than the last. Maynard was more talkative and animated. He danced around more and faced the crowd most of the time....
Anyone who hasn't seen them live yet...you need to check them out! :emoji_thumbsup:
I just hope we get a live CD or DVD from this tour!!!

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

He uses 90% of the time acoustic. He only uses the elctronic drums for the weird sounds that Tool employs in their music.

Gregory E

Second Unit
Here is a quote from Danny's FAQ:
I have not switched to an all electronic kit and there is nothing wrong with the Paiste drum set or my Sonor drum sets for that matter. I enjoy playing different acoustic drums in different situations and at this point in time I still feel that electronic drums are best suited as a complement to them rather than a replacement.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I was at a Primus concert with a decent non-violent mosh pit. In the old days (before the mid 90s) a mosh pit wasn't a dangerous place to be, people helped each other get up and were considerate.

Well, at this Primus show, there were a bunch of fraternity brothers who decided they would stay just outside of the perimeter of the mosh pit, and any time anybody would come drifting out of the pit, they would shove them forward and DOWNWARD (back towards the pit) with all of their strength. The end result being people tripping, busting their heads against the asphalt, accidently colliding with and knocking other people down, and so on.

These 'brothers' gave themselves high-fives when their violent actions had the desired effect.

I rabbit-punched one of the sons of bitches.

Is it just me, or over the last few years are assholes just coming out of the woodwork in our society?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks