What's new

My theater is under construction (1 Viewer)

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
The carpenters are framing as we speak. I'm ading a 15x24 room off my kitchen to be used as a family room/theater, so I had to put one window on each side (which i will promptly block with blinds and curtains.) My plans are for a ceiling mounted projector, such as the HS-10, firing on to a 96" diagonal 16:9 masked section of wall painted with a screen goo type paint. I am planning a low set of cabinets on the screen wall, about 30" high, like kitchen cabinets without the drawers. On top of this on each side will be a set of shelves about 32" wide, leaving about 8' +/- for the screen. The ceilings are only 8' tall, so the screen will be about one foot from the ceiling, down to about 3' up. Does this make sense? Anyone have comments on my ideas? I'll post pictures if anyone is interested as the project continues.
My main concern is front speaker placement. I plan on placing the center horizontally on the cabinet, but the mains (Axiom 22's) will need to be on my stands, I guess on the floor. Not very happy about this solution. (stands in front of cabinet doors). If i place the axioms on the cabinet also, it may block the edges of my screen.

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Have you thought of mounting them from the ceiling, perhaps on a ~ 24" pole with an omni-mount style pivot so that you can angle the speakers toward the listening area appropriately?

Will the shelves extend from the wall approx. 2 feet or will they be in-wall? If the extend from the wall, will the screen be wall mounted or ceiling mounted? I would think that wall mounting it that snugly between shelves that extend would not be ideal; light reflecting from the screen would also reflect off of the shelf side and create a visible reflection or glow that would be distracting.

Sean.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the shelves will extend out of the wall, this gives me 2 more feet of projector throw without sacrficing floor space.
I hope i can finish the sides in a way that will minimize reflections, still thinking about that. Definately a dark wood. Mounting the speakers from the ceiling or side walls is a good idea, I will think about that.

Also, what is the benefit or wiring for a 6.1 or 7.1 solution? I currently use 5.1, and dont really think the film industy is moving into more speakers rapidly (as much as the electronics industry thinks it is.) I really think the ex sound modes etc were mainly invented to make people upgrade receivers.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Also, what is the benefit or wiring for a 6.1 or 7.1 solution? I currently use 5.1, and dont really think the film industy is moving into more speakers rapidly (as much as the electronics industry thinks it is.) I really think the ex sound modes etc were mainly invented to make people upgrade receivers.
The benefit of wiring for 6.1 and/or 7.1 now is that you don't have to do it later. ;)

While the industry may be moving slow toward this end (and may never fully get there) why take the chance? For the little money it will take at this point in your project to pre-wire these additional locations you can future-proof your setup.

Better (and MUCH cheaper) to leave a little unused wiring in the walls then try and run additional cables once the room is complete.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Are the extra speakers generally two sides, or like a rear center for 7.1? How do you know where to position these?

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
For a 6.1 system you would wire for a single center rear speaker, while a 7.1 system would require two rear speakers.

If you're planning to pre-wire but you're not sure whether you'll end up with a 6.1 or 7.1 system I would wire for all three rear locations.

Your room dimensions are very similar to mine...you may want to take a look at my planned 7.1 speaker locations. (follow link in sig below to "design" page) My rear speakers will be ~5' off each side wall, leaving ~6' between them. Not sure if there is a specific "rule" regarding rear speaker placement, but I trust the gentleman that designed my theater (Dennis Erskine) so I'm sticking to the plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks