What's new

My Superbit and SB Deluxe 'appeciation' thread (1 Viewer)

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I bought the 3 disc box set: CTHD,the fifth element, and Desperado. Also Dracula. CTHD and Desperado were upgrades while the other two were first timers for me.

The DTS tracks were the main reason for purchace. The transfers are great, and look awesome on my pioneer elite and progresive scan DVD paler.

Believe it or not, I just saw Gladiator for the first time (I'm not usually a fan of contemporary films, especially those of the spectacular and heavily hyped variety, so I put it off until now.) I've been buying DVDs steadily since the month of their introduction in '97, and this disc is visually stunning beyond words. Save for a bit of (unnecessary--is there any other kind?) edge enhancement, this is about as good as it gets, I think, in the here and now.
FWIW, I rate the movie highly, too--around an 87 (it's got a good beat and you can dance to it).;)

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Let´s hope that Columbia bumped "Starship Troopers" up to be released as a "Superbit Deluxe"... Atleast I Do.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I agree also on the quality of the SB titles. I've replaced AFO and acquired Gattaca & Dracula SB titles with plans to get Desperado and a few other future releases.

I have a 55" HD widescreen and the difference is noticeable to me.

Troy

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Bjoern,
Great observations! I agree wholeheartedly!!! Superbit is what THX always wanted to be (but never was, as far as DVD titles are concerned), ... and that's a STAMP OF QUALITY ASSURANCE!!! I have been disappointed with so many THX DVDs -- I'm convinced that THX is just a trademark to fool J6P. On the other hand, I have never been disappointed with a Superbit DVD. I have a 56" Toshiba (non-HD) and do notice the difference. Whatever the technical reason (more bits, better source material, more care during DVD mastering, etc.) -- WHO CARES! All that matters is that Superbit represents consistent, superior quality. It's the "ISO 9000" of DVD.
Take that, THX!
:star:

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a 55" Mits HDTV with a Panasonic RP56, and I definitly noticed a difference with The Fifth Element. I will be choosing SB over standard releases because of the superior video presentation,(as well as DTS!)

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks