What's new

My rather HUGE theater project (1 Viewer)

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
The projector came off EBay (they're military surplus for around $350). It's a JVC DLA-G10U. Native res of 1365x1024. I'm using it to fill in until the end of the year when I can afford an HD projector. I think I'll get a JVC (an HD350 maybe?) or better...

YES! The clock on top of the rack uses nixie tubes (I think the site is "tubeclock.com") I got it as a kit for Christmas - very cool. The tubes are genuine Soviet vacuum tubes - I love it!

I need to get more pictures posted to my site. What I've got doesn't do it justice. We add more to it every month (just put a small chest freezer in), and we've now had three very successful parties. It's been great!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link on the nixie clocks.. so many people don't know about them, and those who do almost never believe in them. And my brother the impossible-to-shop-for electrical engineer may be getting one for Christmas..!

Leo

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I haven't updated this in a while, but this is kinda nifty. If you've never played Wii Bowling on a big screen - you gotta try it. It really adds to the game when it's huge.

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, just a 4x3 aspect (can simulate 720P) for now - but dang it was a good deal on ebay - $329/ free shipping. I'm holding out to get something really fancy...

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Wow - that looks incredible! Wii games on a 65" are pretty life-size, I can't imagine the impact of a huge screen! What's with the drunken chair?

oh, and for those nixie clock aficionados - my bro gave me a kit for Christmas!!

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
The Wii needs a lightbar for the controllers. In a normal scaled setup, the light bar is on a wire connected to the Wii that sits on or near your TV. In this setup, the Wii is up in the loft and I use a wireless light bar. The optimum position/height is on a flipped chair...

Did you get your clock together yet? If not, I'd recommend using paste flux when soldering the flush mount IC's. It turned out to be pretty easy that way. In fact, I flux the crap out of everything I solder. It just flows so much better then relying on flux core (not enough). Just use isopropyl for clean up...

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Ahh...now the chair makes sense!

My nixie clock is from TubeHobby, and does not have surface-mount parts. I selected this one because it uses a PIC chip, which I could alter if I wished, has spearate circuit boards for display and brain, and will use most any GPS for time source, and because it does not use surface mount parts!

I'll put up a couple of photos when I get the case together. My current plan is to chop/channel an old rack mount computer chassis. Right now I'm mostly done with the soldering - just want to hold off until I get a socket for the PIC.

alexjoe1

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Looks incredible. It's going to look even better once you got that HD projector. Btw. it would be great to see some pictures here from other members as well.

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
So, for anyone reading this, what would you add/change to make this setup better??? (besides the stripper pole - the wifey shot that one down!)

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
Originally Posted by Rhatphlegm

The Wii needs a lightbar for the controllers. In a normal scaled setup, the light bar is on a wire connected to the Wii that sits on or near your TV. In this setup, the Wii is up in the loft and I use a wireless light bar. The optimum position/height is on a flipped chair...

I also have hooked up a Wii in my theater, projected on a 120" screen, it is really absorbing to play when it is big like that. One tip I learned off of a Wii forum somewhere, that actually worked flawlessly - We didn't have a wireless light bar handy, and the corded one only has a 10 ft cord, which was not nearly long enough to reach the Wii in the back of my theater room. So instead of wiring it up with extensions and having the wire running across the floor where we were playing, we just removed the lightbar completely and setup two candles (I used a pair of Yankee "jar" type candles for saftey) about 4 or 5 feet apart below the screen. The candle flames naturally emit the infra-red light needed for the hand controllers to read, even through the clear glass of the jars. Plus, they also make the room smell pretty too, since they're scented, lol!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Matt:

Looks like you have done a great job already. I can't think of anything else to add. What do you use this for anyway? Just for fun? Another way to make a little cash on the side? Inquiring minds want to know.

Parker

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Parker Clack

Matt:

Looks like you have done a great job already. I can't think of anything else to add. What do you use this for anyway? Just for fun? Another way to make a little cash on the side? Inquiring minds want to know.

Parker
I have a side job in the Adult entertainment industry and the Partybarn is typically used for various 'films' I star in...

....Gotcha! Heh heh, no, really, it's just for fun. We have friends over from time to time. We also like to watch movies and play Wii. Last year I watched almost the entire Babylon 5 series out there - that was really cool. Sometimes we'll just head out there for some drinks and not have to worry about other people or dui's, etc. Most of it was a blast to build and I plan on using it for many years to come!

Rhatphlegm

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
There will be an article (with pics!) about the Partybarn in the Jun issue of Electronic House magazine - I'll have to leave a link for the online version when it comes out. I don't know if it will be a little blurb on the last page or something more - can't wait to see!

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Are those small Infinity speakers really enough to fill that HUGE space? Personally I would have gone with something larger but thats just my opinion.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
These combined with a nice center channel and fairly high output front speakers (not to mention the PA sub) can produce more than enough volume for my purposes.
I guess I really shouldn't talk, I use a small pair of B&W 601's for my mains and they are enough to make you go deaf. Size doesn't always determine volume capability I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks