What's new

My 'PREDATOR' appreciation thread. (1 Viewer)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
That's a great site. Thanks for the notice.

I honestly don't think I can remember ever meeting anyone who truly hates Predator. A further testament to it's greatness.

"Dillon! You son-of-a-bitch!"

JasonK

Supporting Actor
This is a great movie. I still think Jesse Ventura should have used "I ain't got time to bleed" as his slogan when running for Governor. Maybe when he's up for re-election he'll use it.

I'll certainly pick up a loaded SE DVD upon release in region 1.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Boy, DVDfile absolutely raped this DVD in their review. Is it really that bad? Their ratings for the DVD suck!

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Predator has another great line. It ranks right up there with "I'll be back" from Terminator. When the Predator takes his mask off, Arnold says:

"You are one ugly MODA FOCKA" See the movie again. It sounds just like that with Arnold's accent. I watched the movie again yesterday. It is funny as hell.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
When Arnold faced the Predator toward the end of the movie, I always thought that it was some kind of camera trick that was used to make the Predator look much bigger than Arnold. Arnold is 6'2" after all.
But I just found out that the actor who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, was 7'2" tall.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

No wonder the Predator made Arnold look like a midget.
Check out this picture of the two actors in real life. Kevin Peter Hall is without his costume.
http://www.magma.ca/~rsarkar/predkph.html

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Terrell, I would just ignor DVDFile on this one, this is a very accurate representation of the film. When viewed anamorphically on a well calibrated set, it's quite good IMO, the film itself looks as it always has, but the dvd gives it a very pleasing soft quality that makes it appear almost filmlike.
And the audio? Both the DD and DTS tracks on this disc rock! I however choose to go with DTS on this one as it really brings out that pounding Alan Silvestri score that I love. Your not going to get 'Saving Private Ryan' caliber separation in the channels, but the film sounds the best that it ever has, and it has quite a few instances of powerful LFE as well.
I would check it out for yourself to see what you think, but IMO 'Predator' has never looked or sounded this good before.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting any minute now for some movie snob to come into this thread and say something about Predator. :angry: C'mon, I dare you.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: I do that in the Star Wars threads Dome. Predator is a fun action film. Definitely one of Arnold's best. Although when I first heard about this film, I had no idea what it was going to be about. If I remember correctly, the Predator was never shown, so nobody knew what he lloked like or what he was, or even if it was a he.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
This is the news I've been waiting on for a long, long time. This is truly a happy day...

From Dark Horizons...

"Predator 3: CountingDown reports that "Predator 3" has been greenlit for a June 1st 2003 release, the story following "American marines going to a planet where Predators are staging an invasion of Earth"

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That sequel premise sounds kind of awful. I liked the idea of the Predator aliens as, well, predators. Turning them into alien invaders a la War of the Worlds or Independence Day kind of ruins their "charm". Now if they were going to do a group hunt during the filming of a reality TV show in some exotic location on Earth, I would be first in line to buy a ticket. :)
Regards,

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's funny, because I would think that by now the predators would just stay the hell away from earth from now on! I mean they're smart creatures, you would think they would say to themselves "Everytime we go to that planet, one human ends up kicking our asses! I'm not going anywhere near that planet!":D
On the other hand, that may be precisly the reason they are staging this invasion, they finally found a planet full of worthy adversaries that are just as smart and aggressive as they are. It's like the ultimate hunting trip.
The premise for this third film really doesn't sound too good. I mean look at the situation in the first film, they land in a jungle, have no idea that a lone predator is stalking them, and are all picked off except Arnie. Now if a few of our guys inadvertantly crash land on the predators home world, don't know it, and are being stalked by a few dozen predators, how long do you think THEY would last? They'd all be dead before they even stepped out of the ship.
Picture that open shot in 'Saving Private Ryan' where they all get slaughtered before even getting out of the boat and you get the idea. Except instead of getting riddled with bullets, it'll be blasts from those shoulder cannons. WOW, picture that!:)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
As a rabid fan of the Predator films I could honestly care less what kind of plot they use. The Predator is one of the most interesting cinematic monsters in a long time and I think Fox gave up too early on the franchise way back when.

I'm excited that it appears people are still interested in this franchise, and I hope to see many more interesting films come out of it in the future.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I am also a huge fan of this film. Not many films can capture such a rich tapestry of action, suspense, comedy and just plain old fun in one film. It always amazes me how the film lets you bond, if only in a small way, with each of the members of the troop. From Billy, the warrior Indian, to Dillon the 'do anything to get ahead' back-stabber and Blaine, the tough no-nonsense cowboy with a mini-gun.

"You lose it here, and you're in a world of hurt."

You see conflicts between the members and friendships. I love the way they give hints about their previous exploits, such as when they mention their mission in Afghanistan. Makes me want to know more about this elite group. Then there is the Predator himself. A very original creature. Fast, tough and invisible. I always thought it was neat the way John McTienan (director) let you try and "spot the Predator" in certain scenes. By making the audience try and find the cloaked enemy in the foliage really brought us into the film. Like the rest of you, this movie left me wanting more. Predator 2 was not a bad film, but it did not have the same charm that the first did. As for a 3rd, well, I guess we will have to wait and see.

"...so do I! Mine's as big as a house!"

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
In a perfect world, Fox studio execs would greenlight a prequel to Predator featuring only Dutch and his team. Maybe the mission in Afghanistan could be the plot. Who knows. No Predator, just Team Dutch. I'd pay good money to see those guys strap on their army gear again.
I guess we'll just have to settle for a new sequel featuring one of the most interesting and (to use a more "fanboy-ish" film term) kick-ass monsters Hollywood has ever created. Shucks. :)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
QUESTION: When does Dutch say "Stick Around" in this film?
I can't find it, help me with a timecode...
EDIT: I've just watched the scene where it's supposed to be, BUT IT ISN'T THERE... Can this line really have been cut from my version (the R2)??? i don't believe it!! :angry:

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
QUESTION: When does Dutch say "Stick Around" in this film?
Artur, just checked the R1 version & the time code for when Arnold says stick around is Chapter 6, Time 27:23. Now if this differs from the R2 version I couldn't tell you, but if it does that kinda sucks.:frowning:

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
A limited edition DVD collector's box set of Predator including both Predator movies was released in the UK in June 2001. For this UK DVD releases, Fox used the same master as the heavily censored German version. Ironically, it was released uncut in Germany. The scene where Dutch throws a knife at the soldier and saying "Stick around" was removed. The scene where Dillon loses his arm was shortened. However, the UK video is completely uncut.
All I can say is: WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH FOX??? :angry: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks