What's new

Why no trailers on new DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Nic_II

Grip
Real Name
Nikolas
I've been asking this in several forums and so far no-one has known the answer, so thought I'd try here, since this appears to be one of the biggest and most professional boards around. There was a thread here where people were complaining about missing trailers and where to find them, but as far as I know, no-one mentioned this, so...

How come there are so many studios that don't include trailers anymore with their DVDs? Are there financial reasons? Or do some just see them as only promotional items and once the product has been bought, they see no need to include it?

Lionsgate used to include trailers with just about everything. Not anymore. Fox includes trailers on some releases, not on others (in addition, they often drop trailers from special editions - Commando and Predator come to mind). Universal and Paramount used to include them - that has changed. Weinstein appears to include the trailer on pretty much every release (kudos to them). The same with Warner, with the exception of some recent releases. Columbia Tri-Star used to have the trailer along with previews with almost every release where it was possible, but now, with the DVDs being released by Sony, there are dozens of previews but not the trailer. In fact, I remember seeing the original trailer included on only three Sony DVDs. The special edition of Gandhi, "Rise: Blood Hunter" and, amazingly, "Magma: Volcanic Disaster"(!).

Personally, I love trailers. Indeed, the trailer (whether it's a long 3-minute theatrical trailer or just a 30-second spot for a direct-to-DVD release) is easily my favorite extra and usually the only one I watch more than once. The best of them are like short movies with great editing, great music, great taglines etc. And based on the feedback I've received in other forums, I'm certainly not alone with this opinion.

But I don't want to start a discussion on the entertainment or educational value of trailers nor whether their inclusion is a deal breaker. Those are subjective things. But since a trailer is (with the possible exception of the smallest DTV-releases) always made and it does exist, no matter what, is there an actual reason why so many studios are dropping it? I mean, even if it has only promotional value to them, since there obviously are buyers who like having it included, why not include it on the disc? It would appear to me that the more bang studios are giving for the consumer's buck, the better (especially in these days, with the rampant piratism and everything).

Again, different people like different extras. Some love trailers, others don't. Some always listen to the commentaries, some don't give a damn about them. This is not about discussing trailers in general. This is simply an inquiry on why - despite their popularity - they aren't included anymore? Not even on new HD-releases.

And, of course, if there are people who have influence on this matter, one would certainly appreciate if they would let the studios know that there are a lot of people out there who'd like to see this extra included. Kudos to all the studios that still do! And I am sorry if this sounded like a useless rant you've heard a billion times before :)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I too miss the trailers, whether they are for the classics or the new films. It is just a lot of fun to watch them and they are an art form all their own. I have always had a soft spot for the Disney animated and live-action trailers. In fact I would more than likely buy a DVD that just had Disney trailers on it. It has been several years since Disney stopped adding the trailers, only a few of the special Platinum editions include trailers now. MGM used to also include trailers with their releases, but from the time of their change to Sony they have not included them. Sony and Paramount have not included trailers for the past four years, even on the Paramount special editions.

I give a salute to Fox, Warner’s, and Universal for they attempt to include trailers whenever they can.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I think the trailers have migrated to the single-disc editions of the movies.

If you're exclusively purchasing two disc Special Editions, then you probably are seeing fewer trailers.

The single-disc versions of the movies are targeted mostly for the rental marketplace; and so the trailers help sell other movies and ancilliary merchandise.

(If you're talking about the trailer for the movie on the disc, I'm still seeing that included on the Special Features disc in most cases.)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Trailers are the one extra feature that I almost never watch. However having said that I like the fact that they are included.

One reason that trailers may not be included is that music is often times borrowed from other films and often from other studios. They may feel that paying rights to that music or royalties to composers and musician's to include it on a DVD is not worth it.

Doug

Nic_II

Grip
Real Name
Nikolas

You're, of course, quite right about the single-disc vs. two-disc and about the motives for it as well, but I'm indeed talking about the trailer for the movie on the disc.

Not too long ago it was a standard feature on just about every disc, no matter what company was the distributor. These days, I'd say less than 50% (perhaps even less than 30%) of new releases include it. Some companies do go the distance and even include other promotional material (TV-spots, photo/poster galleries, original promotional featurettes etc.). But more and more I'm seeing new special editions which lack the trailer, even if it was available in the original release (released by the same studio, no less!).

Nic_II

Grip
Real Name
Nikolas

That was my first guess, too. And it does seem that current trailers use more and more music from other films (as well as popular songs) while the trailers from the 80s and 90s often had original music from someone (John Beal, John Eric Alexander etc.) who specialized in composing music for trailers and commercials.

However, that still leaves some questions, such as why the trailer is quite often missing from a new special edition of an older release that had it (to add insult to the injury, the new featurette often includes bits from the trailer with the original trailer music!), why it's often included in R2-release but missing from R1 (the marketplace for an R2-disc is, of course, smaller, but they are often released by smaller companies with less money to spare, so that evens things up a bit) and why it's often available in several other discs as a preview but not on the actual movie disc itself.

Either some studios do indeed think that the consumers don't care for it (and there are lots and lots of those who don't - but many do) and once the disc has been purchased, the trailer has done it's job and doesn't have to be included. Or there are indeed some royalties issues. A composer can give out promos of his work for free to get more work but can't sell them. Perhaps something similar is at work here? When a studio uses a trailer as a promotional item on a different disc, they'd have to pay less than if they use it as a special feature on the film disc itself?

If that's the case, as a film collector and a fan of trailers, I'd naturally hope that studios would cough up the extra dough and include the trailer. But there would at least be a good financial explanation if it's not included. After all, there probably aren't too many people like me who will get the film on R2 just because it has the trailer and the R1 doesn't - although I do know a few...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The only reason I can think of for R2 to have the trailer, is that company isn't contractually obligated to pay residuals to the people who created the music.

Doug

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Trailers are probably my 2nd favorite extra on a DVD (next to deleted scenes).

I was annoyed that when the anamorphic DVD of The Return of the Pink Panther came out, they left off the trailer that was on the non-anamorphic version.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
That's why there're site like DVDCompare.net;)
Oh, and having a multi-region DVD player is a plus too. Especially with great PAL-to-NTSC conversion and vice verse.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm going to eventually upgrade to a front projector. Get a nice 1080p one with RGB or something. Even get a special screen for it too. But for now I'm just slowly upgrading.
I only own two PAL DVD's but I'm going to eventually buy more. Well, the ones I want need to be at good prices.;)

Nic_II

Grip
Real Name
Nikolas

Might be. It's interesting that Sony's DTV-films, for example, are generally released here either by Sony itself or by another company like Scanbox. If it's a Sony-release, it generally has no extras (even the preview trailers are cut down to about five compared to 12-15 of them on the R1-release). But if it's released by another company, it usually has at least the trailer and a featurette, often some other extras as well.

The trailer is pretty much the one extra that the "mainstream buyers" (as opposed to hardcore film fans and collectors) care about. This is partly due to the fact that most Europeans don't speak English well enough to get the most out from featurettes and commentaries (which aren't subtitled), but mainly because people just seem to like them. In fact, in Germany, where they dub all films, they often include two versions of the trailer, one original and one that's dubbed. And this sometimes happens even if the main feature itself is only available with a dubbed soundtrack! I've asked for reasons for this and some German film fans have told me that they make the studios include the original trailer because "they like the voice of the guy doing the original voice-over" :)

I wonder how it's possible that the smaller studios can often include trailers with popular songs etc. included in them, but the bigger ones don't. Makes no sense. But again, if including the trailer costs extra and makes no difference in sales (which it probably doesn't), I guess it's understandable that they leave it out. I just wish there was a way to make the studios re-think this strategy, to make them know that there are many people out there who consider the trailer an important feature on the DVD and, indeed, find out once and for all whether it does cost extra to include it.

Unfortunately, the last time I checked, I didn't know anyone who worked at Sony or some other major studio, so.....

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
This response goes off on a tangent but does apply to DVD and is also meant as a warning to those who decide to upgrade to HD DVD or Blu Ray (I have done both, going format neutral end of last year). Trailers are mostly missing, period, from these new types of discs. Some if not many of the extras available on DVD special editions are not to be found on the HD versions of these very same editions.

The studios are REALLY shafting the public with these releases. I guess they are desperate to get the product out there and it is just too bad that enthusiastic early (?) adopters get the short end of the deal. It's even more annoying when you hear the constant rhetoric, particularly from the Blu Ray camp, about the "extra capacity" of these new discs. WELL THEN, starting using some of that space guys!!!

You pay more, often for less except for the picture. I'm not sure about the sound as this appears to be a major area of turmoil at present.

I miss trailers as well. I remember starting with Laserdiscs in 1991 and getting trailers whenever they were available from the majors and many independent labels as well. Std. DVD endeavored to take up the torch after a while but now these interesting cinematic nuggets are being neglected. Heck, even disc label art has been disappearing leaving us with a gray generic labels and text.

I fear "special features" will be a thing of the past someday, more than likely only available as downloadable material - at a further extra price - to the movie already purchased.

Except for more recent films of the last 20 years maybe, primarily those that employ songs and other material from outside the studio, the music used in a film will have been composed or purposed for the movie and hence owned by the studio. This should be no impediment to including trailers/previews.

I wish more people would stop being apologists for the studios and video companies, otherwise they will think we're happy with their product and have no further complaints. It's good to hear there are other folks out there as steamed as I am about this.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I thought trailers were public domain. On movie documentaries where the maker did not want to pay for a clip he would show a clip that was from the trailer. There would usually be some sort of subtitle saying the clip was from a trailer. I guess it does not apply to the music used in the trailer.
It could be that whatever expense is involved in adding a trailer to a DVD, is money the studio does not want to spend. Since within a year or two of release, a DVD can be selling for $5, perhaps the cost, whatever it is, is a consideration.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Trailers made before 1964 are PD. They were not separately copyrighted and were published before the actual film. Trailers that do not contain a copyright notice are also PD. For more info see DASTAR CORP. v. TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORP, wherein the courts ruled in the favor of the documentarians.

The reason for studios not including trailers on classic films is a very simple answer-- many do not have elements or even prints on their trailers because most studios outsourced their trailers to other companies like National Screen Service. Most studios are having cutbacks right now, and frequently don't have the budget to license footage from stock houses like Sabucat Productions that specialize in trailers.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I own alot of Jackie Chan movies from the 1980's and all of them have the trailer. Well, original trailer and a "remixed" one. I do enjoy the trailers they have for other titles in the same "line-up" as it gives me an idea whether or not to buy, rent or borrow a certain release. Guess those are technically promo trailers for the same division/grouping of films released upon a certain banner.
Both the Silver Anniversary Edition of Flash Gordon and Starman (both UK PAL R2 DVD's) contain the trailers.

Nic_II

Grip
Real Name
Nikolas

Booklets and such have, of course, been history for a long time now because we all know how tremendously expensive it must be to print a few pages... Truth be told, I never saw much value in those (well, they made it easier to see what chapter I was looking for when searching for a specific scene) but the DVD-case just seems somehow empty without even a single insert paper since the case still has holders for that.

I don't want to make any comments about the artistic or entertainment qualities of the film itself, but I believe Fox's upcoming release of "Aliens vs Predator: Requiem" is the way to go. For those interested only in the film, there are 1-disc releases (both rated and unrated - commentaries are the only extra). For fans, there's the 2-disc release with numerous featurettes, design galleries and, yes, trailers (even the original red band-trailer!). And there's the Blu-Ray release, which has both, rated and unrated-versions of the film, ALL the extras from the 2-disc SD DVD-release, including all featurettes and trailers and even one Blu-Ray exclusive feature. THIS is the kind of release I'd like to see from the studios in the future.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Trailers have lost their art form. It seems there isn't a single one out there whose narration is done by only one of two people(?) Also, at one point, they stopped using the music from the film and use music from songs not in the film itself. Is there a single romantic comedy trailer about love regained that does not have "Let my love open the door"? Is there a single feel-good comedy that doesn't use "Walking on sunshine"? I'm sure there are other songs rehashed so often. I wouldn't be surprised if the average moviegoer actually thinks these songs appear in the movie?

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
I'm a big proponent of including the original teaser and trailers on the DVD and HD/BD releases.

What is particularly annoying is when a studio doesn't include the trailers for the movie itself, but includes trailers for other films of the same genre on the extras menu. Many times, the trailer will be present as a bonus (or in the opening trailer build) on a different film, which is maddening to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks