What's new

My New Favorite Pop Super Audio CD is... (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, right now I am running a two channel only listening rig as my normal 5.1 setup is boxed up. I'm in the middle of a move and only took out what is necessary to listen in stereo.

Michael and Lee...

Very interesting point. I have to admit, I'm the classic...pull up a chair equidistant from both speakers, put on the tunes and stare at the wall kind of guy. You mean people do other things like read and cook when they listen to music? Blasphemy I tell you!!!

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
If you dont stare at the wall, you arent listening to the music...you are just hearing some tunes. Ive never met anyone serious about music that will not do their critical listening evaluations planted in a chair between the speakers with their eyes either transfixed on the center of the wall or closed.

Hi-rez audio (either SACD or DVD-A) cant be properly appreciated while multi-tasking in my opinion. Hell, I guess that goes for ANY music, hi-rez or not.

Mike

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
audio (either SACD or DVD-A) cant be properly appreciated while multi-tasking in my opinion.
This also applies to concerts and dancing, if you're not sitting on your ass staring at the band you really don't give a damn about the music. ;)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for this recommendation, Lee, I haven't enjoyed a release this much in years (literally). Sonics are perfect, music is outstanding. This MC mix seems to have been conceived as such, a recording artist presenting his work in a MC format, and it's astoundingly cool. None of this "but a concert the performers aren't behind me bla bla bla...". This isn't a concert, it's a recording meant to be experienced as such. Really doesn't get much better.

Miles

Second Unit
Back to Beck, if I could... :)

Could someone comment on the bass for the multi-channel release? I got it the other day... and while the mix is excellent!... the bass seems lacking. I have the Stones' "Hot Rocks" and Joe Satriani's "Engines of Creation". Both of them seem to have adequate bass but both were only 2-channel releases... I have a Sony 670... I have the speakers set to 5 small w/ sub.

Thanks for any comments,

Miles

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles, is the multi-channel track on the Beck SACD stated to be 5.1? I have read that Universal's Ryan Adams Gold SACD has just a 4.0 multi-channel track (no center or sub).

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The display on my 775 reads 5.1 for this disc. Definitely some sub action, especially in "Paper Tiger".

"End Of The Day" is a simply stunning song.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Miles, I have a Sony C555ES, and I don't know if the bass management functions are exactly similar, but I'm betting they're not dissimilar.

IMO, the onboard bass management sucks. Not only is the crossover not optimally placed for my system (or anything other than a "home theater in a box"), but I truly believe that using it degrades the high resolution signal and seems to make the bass disappear!

Try a listening test: set your player to "multichannel direct" or whatever mode completely bypasses the bass management. Do you think the sound quality is now improved, in general? Has the bass been restored?

Now put on a bass-heavy song from the Beck SACD. Try "It's All in Your Mind", and wait till the synthesized bass strings kick in. Is the bass overwhelming your smaller speakers? Even if it does sound somewhat loose and bloaty, does it still sound better, on-balance, as compared to the "5 small + sub" setting? I suspect it will. It did on my system, but my speakers may be larger than yours.

In the end, I added an Outlaw ICBM-1 and resolved all bass management issues. But, till then, I preferred using no bass management whatsoever, even though it was occasionally problematic.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I've been enjoying the CD version since it was released, but I gotta tell ya this SACD makes the music come alive!
What a great mix! :emoji_thumbsup:
Now I have to get a copy of "Heathen". I have heard nothing but rave reviews about that title.
Anyone have any comments about it?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I love "Heathen". It's my favorite Bowie album in decades. In a sense, he dons all his personas (or refers to them in some way), with each song recalling another from the past or somehow rethinking it. But you don't need a close familiarity with Bowie to appreciate this record (though I doubt Avril Labeanie-baby could grok it).

The SACD is fantastic, but I've only listened to the multichannel track... which is wonderful! "Slip Away" and "Conversation Piece" are probably my favorite tracks, but "Heathen" always gets played from start to finish in my house (and even then I just might hit the repeat button!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks