My New Favorite Pop Super Audio CD is...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Beck: Sea Changes
    What awesome sonics! This is some of the best engineering to date...Elliott Scheiner on surround and Bob Ludwig in the mastering booth. Absolutely stunningly lifelike guitar sound on the Super Audio side. Very enveloping surround use. Rich, full midrange and highs. Beautiful instrumentation throughout.
    Performance? Of course the most important thing...Well if you like Beck this is a must have that appeared on many critics best albums of 2002.
    Rating (out of ten):
    Performance: 10.0
    Sonics: 9.8
    Now if we can just get Midnite Vultures or Odelay (or the whole catalog) on SACD. I am having a party soon! [​IMG]

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Agreed.

I got Sea Change last Friday (picked it up early from a store that gets their new releases in on Fridays) and was BLOWN AWAY.

By far the best pop/rock SACD released to date!!!

A MCH showpiece it there ever was one.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Good to hear that. I was just in the process of compiling my next order.

4. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Is this a hybrid disc (CD/SACD)?

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike and Lee, thanks for the comments. I'm not a big Beck fan (I have Odelay or whatever it's called), but I may have to pick this one up.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Marc - according to Elusive disc it is a single layer 2-CH/MC SACD.

7. Marc Colella

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Marc - the SACD is $17.99 at Elusive Disc and while not in stock at present is only $10.61 at www.cheap-cds.com. So there is not a huge difference in price between the CD and SACD. Until comparing them I would not make the assumption that the price difference is $10 nor the automatic that the sound quality difference is marginal.

9. Marc Colella

Phil,

I'm in Canada, and the difference in price is $10 CDN.

Ordering from the US is pointless, because after the exchange rate and border/duty charges - it'll wind up costing me more money.

I've always found for newer releases, SACDs will offer an improvement over the CD - but nothing as earth-shattering as many claim it to be. This, to me, is a marginal improvement.
    The MCH track will obviously offer a more noticeable difference over the CD, but that's comparing apples to oranges - and I don't have MCH capabilities for SACD anyways.

10. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Agent

So how are the 2-channel mixes?

Would it still be a "must-have"?

- Mike

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee said:

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have to agree with Lee on this one. I was very dubious at first because I openly stated on this forum that I was NOT going to buy the Krall "When I Look Into Your Eyes" because I had the redbook version and it sounded great. However, when CircuitCity.com offered it for only $12.99, I jumped on it at that price.

Lee is right. The Krall SACD is fantastic. It's like you are in the room with her. More three dimentional and vibrant. Especially the percussion sounds...they come alive on SACD in a way that cannot be replicated on redbook. Truly awesome.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan and Lee,
    You both have me eager to compare the CD and SACD of When I look in your eyes. Hopefully I'll be able to do that today.
    Evan said:

16. Marc Colella

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marc, this has always been a concern of mine with the marketing of DVD-Audio and SACD to the masses. Many folks out there use a budget shelf system or even a boombox as their main listening equipment. Would SACD prove its worth on one of these budget set-ups? I am considering stereo SACD versus CD here. I would be very surprised if stereo SACD would outshine CD on these systems. As a result, I feel it is imperative that DVD-Audio and SACD be marketed to the masses with surround sound as the key feature. It is still my contention that the average music listener isn't too concerned with sound quality (so long as there is no buzzing or gross distortion). However, the masses may embrace one or both high-resolution formats for the surround sound capability, which cannot be achieved adequately with CDs. (I say "adequately" because there are surround sound modes that can be applied to CDs, but I don't feel they are well implemented.)

18. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I personally believe, as others believe, that with the right system you can hear the difference between even the best CD and their SACD counterparts.

I generally hear more depth in the sound-staging and a less cluttered mix, where instruments tend to have more space, on SACD as opposed to CD.

The other factor is how you might listen to music. I sit down and listen to music, without any other distractions like magazines or other stimuli to avert my attention to the music. As a friend always states, when we listen to music we appear to be "watching the wall" - since my friend and I listen to the music intently instead of hearing the music.

If someone might merely hear music - i.e., listen while not placing themselves inside the music - the differences between CD and SACD might seem non-existent or subtle at best. But dedicated listening always indicates to me that there is a discernible difference 99% of the time between the SACD and it's CD counterpart.

But as Keith points out, if the majority of people are listening to their music on boomboxes or small shelf systems, or even systems with small satellite speakers with a subwoofer, can any difference really be that discernible. Probably not. So Keith is correct - surround sound is the selling point here - and the marketers of DVD-A have already shown this to be true - since there are very few DVD-A discs that don't push the surround aspect of the format as the major benefit for making the purchase.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, you make an excellent point. If you consider that most people probably listen to music while doing other things (cooking, going through the mail, cleaning, etc.), then sound quality is even less important. I'm sure that few people listen to music as intently as the regulars here do.

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee