What's new

My male dogs pee like female dogs!! (1 Viewer)

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I have two male Cocker Spaniels and both squat and pee like a girl. My older dog Frodo (yes, big LOTR fan) is a year and a half and he still doesn't lift his leg to pee. He just squats. It's funny as hell. Now the younger dog Bilbo (that was my wife's idea, I actually thought it sounded too close to Frodo and would confuse them, but it hasn't) is six months and he just does whatever Frodo does, so he squats too.
My question is: do male dogs learn to lift their legs to pee by watching other dogs or is it instinct or something that they start doing as they get older?
Anyone else with a male dog that does this or rather a female dog that lifts her leg? :D

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I used to have a male German Shepard that never lifted his leg to pee. He always squatted.

DavidAM

Second Unit
I have a chocolate cocker and he does both. About 70% of the time he squats, but sometimes he goes up to a tree or bush and lifts his leg. It really just depends if there is something around that he wants to pee on. I always thought it had something to do with dogs being neutered, but I'm not positive on that.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Some males just never lift their legs. Our golden retriever is almost 6 months old and he still squats.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Margo, my corgiterripoo does both at the same time. First she squats, then while squatting she lifts one leg just a bit and pees. It looks for all the world like a lady-in-waiting curtsying to Queen Elizabeth in an old Bette Davis movie and always makes me laugh.

Corgiterripoos are an extremely rare and valuable breed not yet recognized by the AKC--Half purebred Welsh Corgi, one quarter terrier (probably West Highland), and one quarter miniature poodle. Result is a sorta long, low Benji. They have the spunk of a terrier, the smarts, patience, and herding instincts of the Corgi, and the people-pleasing codependency of the poodle.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Well I'm glad to hear there are other male dogs out there that squat. I was beginning to think that my dogs were weird.
Steve, I'd love to see your dog squat and lift her leg. That has to be hysterical. :D

Jeremy Brown

Agent
Many male dogs (mine included) will never lift their leg to pee, as that is an instinct they acquire when they are about 6-8 months old that is related to marking. Since many male dogs are fixed before the 6 month time frame they never 'acquire' the skills of peeing on fire hydrants or bushes or anything else that might be inconvenient for owner.

So, yes, it's perfectly normal for many male dogs to squat.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Since many male dogs are fixed before the 6 month time frame they never 'acquire' the skills of peeing on fire hydrants or bushes or anything else that might be inconvenient for owner.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My Pug which I had fixed right at six months, primarily lifts his leg to pee, but also squats as well at times. Doing a very unscientific observation, he seems to squat only when he has a very large amount of pee in his bladder. I guess when there are large quantities involved it is more comfortable to squat or maybe he just doesn't want to keep his balance like a tripod for an extended period of time.

J

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My brother has a 7 year old Golden and he always squatted. Actually, he's never barked either!!!! Talk about weird!

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
My mom had a non-spayed poodle that lifted her leg to urinate. She only came in heat once too. She had a chasity belt.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My happy mutt (jack russell / border collie / australian shepherd) was fixed at 5 months (highly recommend getting it done young before they learn to mark). He doesn't lift. Well, he does every once in a while...something he only started recently after he saw another dog doing it.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
When my dog pees, he pees like a guy dog but when he poops, he pisses all over his Throat..... its quite funny!

Ryan_C

Second Unit
My doberman used to squat all the time when he was young, drove me nuts! He's supposed to be a ferocious killer, and he pees like a girl, LOL! He is a wus, but that's another subject! He has since grown out of it, he will be 4 in May, although occasionally he will still squat.

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
My Golden Retriever was fixed at 6 months of age and he didn't lift his leg to pee, began lifting his leg at about a year old. I believe it's more dominance related just like humping other dogs, which he still does occasionally.

My female lab does both functions on the run! A pain in the butt to clean up at the dog park as she leaves a trail of turds.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Well, he does every once in a while...something he only started recently after he saw another dog doing it.
My younger dog follows the older one around and copies every thing he does. So I figure he probably won't lift his leg either as he get older.

BTW, Who changed the thread title?

flatom29

Auditioning
Real Name
THomas Brown
I have a Male shepherd that still squats to pee like a female,I been tyhink about pissing on a tree then taking him with a rope around his right foot an lifting it at the tree to see if he will get the hint,Everytime he is going he usually pees on his front legs an then have to bath him,you would think they would have learnt buy 5 to 6 months how to lift there leg,Antone have any better Ideas then tying a rope around there leg an taking them to each tree in the yard let them smell the tree then lift there leg to see if that take the hint

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thomas:

Welcome to the HTF!

The rope won't work. Don't bother. It will do more harm than good.

Some male dogs just don't lift their leg. No big deal. As long as they're healthy...you are good to go.

John Gido

Second Unit
He is another story to add to the confusion:
I have a male Black Lab/Border Collie/Chow mix that is 10 years old, along with a male Coon Hound that just turned 2. I have a fenced in yard that both dogs are free to run about and use as they see fit. Also, there are no trees in the yard.
When they go out in the yard to pee, they both squat anywhere and everywhere. However, if my wife and I take them for a walk throughout the neighborhood, both will lift their legs on every tree, shrub, & fire hydrant for blocks. :confused:
I guess it does have to do with marking their territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.