What's new

My initial observations... (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This is a brief update of some of the things I have seen and some general observations. This is based in part on an earlier post I made from the show. I will put together something more complete with photos after I get home later this week.

This year the products that seem to dominate the show are IPod accessories, and 1080P rear projection sets. Just about every multi-room system now has an IPOD dock or other interface. A surprising number of which have bi-directional feedback to supply meta data to the keypad. The Jury is still out on 1080P. I just haven’t been impressed with the majority of what I have seen so far. The LCOS models (JVC, Sony, LG) looked better overall than the DLP models with two exceptions. One was the Optima BigVizion a “built in” rear projection 1080P. The picture was fantastic. It includes their new scaler powered by the Gennum chip. I saw the 100 inch model, and an 80 inch model will be available soon. The other was a 65 inch 1080P DLP set by HP. Believe it or not the Hewlett-Packard TV looked noticeably better than the DLP models from Samsung, Mitsubishi and Toshiba! It also accepts a 1080P input via HDMI. Blu-Ray was not as evident as I thought it would be. I saw player samples at Sony, Mitsubishi, and a player and a recorder at Panasonic. None were hooked up to anything, and all of them looked conceptual. Mitsubishi wouldn't allow anyone to take a picture of their player. HD-DVD at least had a small demo playing in the Toshiba booth, but that was it. No one from either camp would give any dates (no big surprise).

Projectors:
Haven’t seen any standout budget models yet, but I will keep looking. The Epson booth was a mad house so I will revisit it tomorrow. The differences I can see between the 550 and 800 are increased brightness, contrast, longer warranty, ISF calibration, less fan noise, an extra bulb, and a mount are all included or part of the 800. Infocus has a lot of things planned for 2006, I’m just not allowed to talk about them yet. While there will be another 720P Darkchip model, the 7210 will remain a current model for the next year. Rebates on the 4805 are continuing, and the MSRP on the three chip 777 is dropping to $14995.

Sherwood:
Have pics and will post later this week.

Denon-
Will post pics later this week.

I have more info to post on B&K later this week. No new processor / receiver models. They have created a new keypad and a new video switches to the be used with their multi-room receivers.

A lot more data (including pictures) will be forthcoming….

Matt Wright

Stunt Coordinator
I agree about the 1080p DLP sets being only so-so and the LCoS counterparts looking better. The real bummer is that every vendor I talked to said their sets only took 1080i as input from HDMI which is just plain nutty if you ask me considering we are talking about 1080p sets. Are you positive HP's set takes 1080p?

I don't know know about anyone else who was there but something about the lighting I think made every DLP based gadget "rainbow" to me. When I moved my head too quickly or caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye I would get a flash of rainbow. I previously hadn't really been affected by the DLP rainbow issues.

About Blu-Ray: both Sony and Panasonic had demos up and running when I was there (Friday and Saturday). HP even had a Media Center PC with a Blu-Ray DVD drive up and running.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I was talking with an engineer from HP and he confirmed that their sets accept 1080P over HDMI. Their set looked better than any other DLP rear projection set at the show.

I didn't really see any rainbow effect on any of the sets, but I wasn't going out of my way to look for it. I have to admit that I am not that susceptible to it in casual viewing, but I can find it if I really start looking for it.

I went to the Sony and Panasonic press events. They weren't doing demos then. I though that both sides would really be pushing their format at the show, but they really weren't.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, so is this going to be a breakout year for LCoS? I thought they sort of dropped off of the radar when Intel announced they weren't going to get into the LCoS chip market, but perhaps I was wrong?

Any impressions about LCoS/LCD/DLP RPTVs would be appreciated. I don't have the room to go FP just yet but in the next 12-18 months I will be looking to upgrade my 5 year old 47" HDTV to a newer, lighter (weight) HD-RPTV technology, and right now that is only DLP and LCD as LCoS sets are few and far between.

Thanks!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don't know if I would call it a "breakout year" for LCoS, but there were 6 1080P rear projection LCoS sets on display. There was an LG that will go into limited distribution soon, two Sony models a 50 and 60 inch. (Keep in mind whenever you say LCoS in front of the Sony guys they say "Not LCoS, but SXRD"), and three models from JVC one in the 50 inch range, on in the 60 inch range and a 70 inch model. Note that I said range as I don't have my notes with me. All LCoS 1080P models looked good to me. Like I mentioned earlier, the only 1080P models that looked good were the HP (avail in 65 and 58? inch models), and the Optima 100 inch built in BigVizion. I will look through my notes and get sizes, pricing and availability info posted in the next day or two. I am running a little behind as I have my day job, jury duty, and am working on a streaming video of the following that will hopefully be posted tomorrow:

CEDIA EXPO 2005 welcomes special panel for exclusive CEDIA Executive Summit
Sept. 9 panel titled "Direct from Hollywood—The Prospects for Next-Generation Media"

Indianapolis, Ind. – The Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association (CEDIA) will welcome an exclusive CEDIA Executive Summit at CEDIA EXPO 2005, the residential custom electronics industry's premier show. The panel is scheduled from noon to 1 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 9, and is titled "Direct from Hollywood—The Prospects for Next-Generation Media."

This special session will highlight the various issues associated with the latest high-definition platforms and the opportunities they afford CEDIA members, who serve as the gatekeepers to the critical early-adopter market. The discussion will cover topics such as HD delivery options, interactive programming, and emerging packaged media formats such as Blu-ray Discs.

The following home entertainment executives will take part in the Executive Summit:
· Adrian Alperovich, executive vice president-international for Sony Pictures Home Entertainment;
· Patrick Fitzgerald, executive vice president of sales, distribution, and trade marketing for Buena Vista Home Entertainment;
· and Peter Staddon, executive vice president of marketing for Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

Paul Gluckman, managing editor of Consumer Electronics Daily, will serve as moderator.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys!!!!

I was impressed by the Samsung 1080p dlp but not from seeing it at CEDIA but rather from setting one up in a dealer's show room.

At CEDIA, we have the very difficult task to try to evaluate one piece of gear against another. In almost all circumstances it is impossible to do because either the display is not properly setup or there is too much ambient light in the area.

One of my highlights was the TI DLP theater demo. They had a 70 inch ish RPTV in the room and gawd was it bright. I put my sun glasses on and it was still screaming. I can just imaging the heat that thing would generate.

regards

Gregg

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I liked what I saw in the Sony 50" LCoS (oops! SXRD! ;) ) set except for one thing. It doesn't accept 1080p input! I'll be updating my 15 year old non-HD (naturally) Pioneer Elite PRO-75 45" RPM this year with a unit for normal TV (and HD) viewing in my HT when I don't want to lower the big screen for a giant picture. The 50" SONY would have been a perfect fit for my room but with no 1080p input I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars for a set that can't give me 1080 passthrough since I expect the set to last at least 10 years.

Gregg loves the Samsung Models and Adam was raving about the new HP models that he saw on the last day of the show. These are DLP sets and I'm not totally opposed to them as long as they accept 1080p. I'll be looking in the 50-58" HD range to fit the room. (The HP models actually go very nicely with my current Sanus Racks and almost look like an exact match for them).

I also realize that there are other LCoS players (or similar) out there so I'll be looking at displays from other manufacturers. More later and in other threads here.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Other than the input problem Robert what did you think?

Randy Tomlinson, a reviewer for The Perfect Vision, here in Atlanta has one under review and says it's the best thing he has seen although it needs a little calibration like most.

I've been saving up and this one is at the top of my list.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Lee,

I really liked the way that the new SONY SXRD RPM's looked, so much so that I was inclined to purchase one to replace my ancient Pioneer Elite PRO-75 in the HT as the "TV"

However, upon learning more about the importance of 1080p input for me in the near future (especially since I tend to keep a set 10 years or more) I decided to look elsewhere. I'm still looking at LCoS/SXRD technology since I love the picture, but I'm hoping to be able to get something with 1080p input.

If 1080p input wasn't a concern for me I'd already have placed an order for one of the SONY SXRD sets (probably the 50" one since it fits in perfectly as a replacement for my 45" Elite). If you can live without 1080p this should definitely be on your short list.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It was a toss up between the Sony and the JVC when it comes to LCoS based sets. I liked the cabinets on the JVC better, black is better than silver for a TV IMHO. I'm still trying to get my ducks in a row so I can cough up more details.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Adam, did the JVC LCoS sets offer 1080p input? And what sizes did the JVC sets come in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks