What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I actually have not due to concerns about higher noise floors, added background noise/hiss and reproduction accuracy. I have plenty of time to research though and you have given me something to think about and research. For myself I want it to be as clean and accurate as I can get it and within the money I can scrape together to purchase the equipment. If you have other brands and model numbers to pass my way along with links I would appreciate it.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
If you are interested in combining consumer with pro electronics, look for something like the Denon Pro DN-500AV with a +4dBu/-10dBV switch - this will help with setting the correct gain. They may be adding an Atmos capable product to this line, I would think. It's a bit cheaper than a comparable consumer receiver/prepro. Are you getting another Altec for the center channel? I think it's important to keep the screen speakers all of the same type. Is your's a living room setup? If so, this may not be the place to do an AT screen setup, with the speakers behind it, where you wouldn't have to worry about aesthetics - you could put the Altecs on cinder blocks to get them 2/3 screen height.

http://denonpro.com/

If you are concerned about accuracy, though they are getting better and better, I don't use the Audessy type programs. You want to take your own measurements and fine tune accordingly, manually. You want individual amplifier channels for the HF and LF drivers, and crossover and eq control from something like the Crown amplifiers and the Crown CXM2000 crossover/monitor.

http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/amplifiers.html
http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/cxm.html

I've also found manufacturers of some odd cable combos, like XLR to Phoenix connectors or you can DIY, but they are relatively cheap.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks for the links as I am checking them out. The Denon Pro DN-500AV looks like it could do the trick but the face plate is so basic it makes me wonder. I do like the ballanced XLR input for CD and 7.1 XLR out for amplification.
The DN-500AV is compliant with HDMI version 1.4a — which features 4K and 3D video pass-through — and is ready to handle the latest audio technologies and surround sound formats. Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Dolby True HD, and DTS HD Master Audio are all supported, as well as HDMI's ARC feature, ideal for smaller applications.
While it says it has Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio and says it features 4K and 3D pass-through the last thing I am willing to do is to buy something like this and find out the upcoming 4K bluray will not work with it. There is to much talk about the tv and receiver needing HDCP 2.2 for people to get 4K blu-ray to the display and that is not a risk I can afford. It will take ever spare dollar I can scrape up to do what ever upgrades I can manage unless things really look up on the job market. Also even though I know Denon is a good brand and I have Denon gear now. I find it strange that a pro grade a/v pre pro sales for only $899 it doesn't seem right. Also I would be forced to buy a number of pro grade amplifiers before I could even use the [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Denon Pro DN-500AV. The the question of how many channels will I get EQ's for? But again it doesn't have Dolby Atmos and no input for a turntable and no [/SIZE]guarantee[SIZE=14.3999996185303px] the unit would actually pass 4K from the upcoming 4K bluray. Actually I am surprised I have what I have and if going 4K was not so important to me this unit could do the trick but then again no turntable input. Also I have no idea where I would put all that extra pro line components. I currently live in a small two bedroom house built in 1948 so there is not alot of extra room. There are also plenty of movies I want to own that I do not have yet. [/SIZE]

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHFBQ3102

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]A/V Receiver needs & wants (My current Pioneer Elite SC-05 doesn't pass 3D)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]HDCP 2.2[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Dolby Atmos & DTS [/SIZE]equivalent[SIZE=14.3999996185303px] if available[/SIZE]
7.2.4 minimum
Must have phono input
3D capability
I am interested in Denon, Marantz, Integra, Yamaha and Onkyo has good features and performance but not only did they have HDMI board failures but horible customer service issues. Rotel doesn't have anything yet and will most likely not come out with anything for 2-3 years! And for Sony I do not see myself owning a Sony AVR! I don't like there surround modes, internal amplification and they are built like toys or at least feel like toys as so do the low line Yamaha's and the standard Pioneer just seems like a light weight toy. The only ones that say they offer HDCP 2.2 is Onkyo and Integra and supposedly Sony very soon.

4K Bluray Player

New JBL or Klipsch bookself speakers with 6.5" woofers min to 8" woofers. Two pair to replace the Advent Marble's I am currently using for surrounds and another two pair for Atmos channels.

New center channel to replace my current old Polk CS100 center channel! Klipsch

Two new and bigger subs

New turntable to replace a 26+ year old JVC QL-50 turntable with a intermittent speed issue!

4K projector with 120" - 160" screen (?)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I mentioned the Denon Pro to show there are alternatives out there for cheaper, but that model is not what you want for 4K. I'm not even sure if there is a true native 4K reciever out there now, after reading the threads at AVS Forum about fully compliant HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 (there are several threads with the latest info). We're still in this between world of 4K upscaling and native 4K. In projectors, I am very interested in the Epson Pro Cinema LS10000, which is native 1080p, but has 4K Enhancement that has received some good press. The only problem is the price will be just south of 8 grand initially. I am doing my sound system first, so I'm still a couple years away from a projector purchase. In your situation, I'd be looking at an Atmos receiver that meets your wants/needs. I will be able to do my all pro sound system for under 6 grand, including amps etc, while some of the systems I was pricing in the consumer range were as high as 11 grand(!), hell, the La Scalas were more than that for just 3 of them for the screen channels, but none of the consumer setups were under $7500. I think the market still needs more time to settle on 4K; I wouldn't buy a receiver until late next year, mainly because of price. Look into HDMI 2.0/ HDCP 2.2 and the standards, and make sure it's all settled before you make a decision. I'm still thinking of staying with native 1080p for a few more years, and wait for the 4K technology and prices to settle. By the way, as for the phono input, there are some pretty good phono preamps out there for under 200 bucks, from NAD for instance, to get you into a receiver without a phono input.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The one good thing my 4K UHD TV has going for it that will hopefully keep it useable for when 4K bluray comes out is that it has what they call a one connect. All the HDMI inputs are plugged into an external box with a larger adaptor going to the tv. So that should allow me to exchange the one connect down the road when the HDCP 2.2 becomes available and I should not have the problem other people are going to have.

I will not buy a receiver until the 4K bluray players are out so I can see them working with a new receiver demo at a local Magnolia design center at Best Buy. But as soon as I get working again I have to start saving money so I can buy it if I see the one I want. Would love to have the cash for the receiver by the end of next year if possible. Then the next item on the list is a 4K bluray and swapping out the one connect on my Samsung UN55F9000 55" UHD TV.

Would love to see photos of your system as you get it put together, should be one hell of a system!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Adding this receiver to my research list
Pioneer Elite SC-89
Elite_SC-89_AVR_300dpi.jpg

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If I can come across a really good job opportunity that pays really good I would consider going with a pre pro but I do not have any power amps at this moment. And I have no idea how much longer it would take to get the money for all that external amplification. I am also starting to get up in age and I want to do more than buy electronics. I really want to be able to see Germany some time in the future as well.

Also any model that does not have HDCP 2.2 I will have to wait for an updated version to come out before putting it on my final consideration list.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Where do I start with the equipment issues that just seem to pile up!

Laserdisc player - While I admit I do not use it much there are some movies that I would like to watch that I do not have on dvd or bluray. The player suffers from on issue that keeps the disc from actually spinning up and the players makes noise but then trys to kick out the disc and has issues with that as well at times.

Bluray Player - While this is not a huge problem and only has effected a single SACD disc so far it consistantly has breif audio drop outs for the Thriller SACD in the exact same places. No other issues playing content from the pc, bluray discs, dvd discs or even playing youtube videos from the internet or from a usb flash drive.

Turntable - Turntable continues to have intermediate speed fluctuations where it will speed up then slow down or just speed way up!

DAT Deck - Doesn't work at all

Sony ES dvd/sacd deck - Doesn't work at all, powers up but doesn't work.

The issue with the one SACD is the latest issue to pop up and if I play it on my Denon DVD-2200 DVD player there are no drop outs but it sounds thin and I get no sub channel audible unless I toss in a DVD-A disc. Putting the same SACD Thriller disc back into the Bluray player the audio is richer and the sub works but I get audio drop outs in the same places and I can not see anything on the disc itself.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Dave, I may be able to help with your turntable issue. Does it have a pitch control? (a fine tune speed contol)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Too bad. I've never owned a direct drive turntable, but it's probably pretty deep in there, and may be due to oxidation, so it can be cleaned. The pitch controls can usually be fixed (at least temporarily) by turning them side to side for about 30 seconds. I've had this problem with my belt drive table, and have managed to keep it at bay. Don't know if you want to attempt it yourself, but you could probably get it serviced for about 50 bucks - that was an estimate I received before I figured out that trick.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have a few things I would like to get serviced but I am in between jobs and going crazy right now. And the other issue is finding a good reliable and honest shop to take it to get worked on. I want to get my laserdisc player serviced, DAT recorder and my Sony ES cd/sacd player serviced. And of course I need to save the money for my future purchase of a new A/V receiver and 4K bluray player and an updated one connect interface for my Samsung 4K UHD TV.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Should be picking up a free HSU subwoofer tomorrow and at that time I will look up the specs. The HSU will be my secondary subwoofer so hopefully it helps improve low end bass in the room.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks