My first post from home with my new Cable Modem!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Aug 26, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Ah yeah, this is the life! [​IMG]
    Shortly after getting back from work (new job), the cable guy showed up and hooked up both the cable service and Road-Runner. A few minutes working at it, and all is functional!
    Now to go get a Router/Switch and get my roommate online.

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

If you need suggestions on a good router, I'm bias towards Netgear, ever since the Linksys router I bought crapped out after 2 days. The Netgear RO318 hasn't missed a step.
    Enjoy the broadband life [​IMG]

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

My Linksys has been running for well over a year with no glitches. [​IMG]
    It doesn't really matter which one you use as long as you're using a good hardware router.
    Broadband rules, but I'll take my DSL over cable modem any day. I'm not sure what Road Runner's policies are, but it's clear that a lot of cable modem providers are becoming very draconian as to what you can and cannot access as well as how much data you can transfer, so always be on the lookout for changes in Road Runner's policies.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I just grabbed a LinkSys 4-Port Router/Switch BestBuy had on sale. I chose RR because Frontier had significantly poorer customer service when I was just trying to get info!

5. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

It's very true what John says about Cable companies and what you can and can't do. The biggest scare for me is the tired pricing I hear so much about.

Anyway, I've had the Linksys Cable/DSL router for about 1 1/2 years with no problems. Also, I've had a cable modem for about three years. Once you start using one you will never want to go back.

6. John_Berger

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Here is what I have heard about upcoming plans. Mind you this is all off the top of my head and is probably inaccurate.

1. $35 a month: 450 kps
    2. $50 a month: 750 kps
    3. $80 a month: 1550 kps

Again, not accurate but you get the point. So the more you want the more you pay. I'm used to the standard 1.5mps per second for $45 a month and I would like to keep it that way...

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Andre, I think your estimates are off (but again, I'm also working from memory and may very well be wrong).
    I thought that the 1.5Mbps was going to remain about $50 a month like we're paying. I think the $70-$80 one was going to be like a SuperMegaBit pipeline, like double the 1.5 speed or maybe even up to 10Mbps (not guaranteed, just max speed). Again, I could totally be wrong, but I do remember reading the tiered proposal and not being too terribly upset at it.
    [​IMG]

9. John_Berger

Chances are the $80 version will be for 4.5 Mbps. That is the speed that is getting commonly thrown around for that price.

10. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Not all cable is bad. Altho their TV is horrible ( I use DISH instead), Cablevision's OOL is second to none. I have a 5+Mb down/ 1Mb up connection and I pay $39.99 month. Would be 10 cheaper if I had their crappy cable TV pack as well. I still have at least another yr on my contract pricing to boot :)

11. John_Berger

12. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I pretty much cant host my own mail server. Thats about it. Not too to many restrictions on my end.