What's new

My first home teature system. Opinions please. (1 Viewer)

Josef_K

Agent
I went go best buy today because I saw an add in the paper about a Sony/Home system for $999.
now I'm looking into getting my first surround sound system by the years end, I'm gona took hook up a DVD play and 2 consoles to the receiver so I would like ceritn things on it.
well I went there and the offer didn't have everything that I would like. but I ask an employee if they had what I did want:
1-2 component inputs,1-2 S-video inputs , 2-3 optical inputs and a component output.
we looked around and he showed me this Yamaha, it had everything that I need and was only $500. I was glad that I got kind of n idea of what I'm looking for and possibly the one that I might get. (I cant find the receiver on there web site.
Then I asked the employee what speakers and Sub would he recommend. I told him I would spend $1,000 on the whole thing. then he walked me over to these JBL speakers and sub.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=15&scat=23
These are them.
What do you think of them? this is my first system
does anyone have any opinions one JBL and Yamaha? please post them

Josef_K

Agent
well I would like to spend only $1,000 on my first system.
its $500 for the receiver and $400 for the speakers.
hmm those ones you recommended run for about $550.
how much better are they?
anyone eles have any recommendations?

You can probably find a better receiver for less. Do some searches around here. I just got an Onkyo 575x (discontiued) for less than $300. The new 595 isn't much more. Do yourself a service and check out some higher end shops. Surprisingly, you'll find better stuff, often times more educated sales people, and comparable prices to the big chains. I actually just purchased some JBL N26's based on reviews I've read here, and I don't think there that great. I am going to be taking them back to Best Buy.

I have the sony SA-WM40. I don't know if it's a good sub, but it definitely covers the low end well enough. I can't really explain what I hear, it just seems a little cold and not full. But I must stress that my room is 12x20 with 9' ceilings, hardwood floors, no rugs, minimal furnishings, and is far from acoustically sound.
Have you compared the JBL's to other speakers (specifically PSB)...
Lance

BryanZ

Screenwriter
You have $1K to work with.
Here is what I recommend:
Home Theater Direct Level III mains - $200
HTD Level III center - $140
Outlaw 1050 - $450 (B stock, otherwise Denon AVR-1802)
Adire Audio Rava - $400
If you have an additional set of speakers at home or if a neighbor has a pair you can borrow use those for your surrounds for now. Later on you can get another pair of HTD Level III mains and use those as your surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks