What's new

My DVD Player and Sound (1 Viewer)

RoyF

Auditioning
I have some minor problems with my home theater set up, and I'm not quite sure what I should do. I feel as if I don't really get higher frequency tones as well as I should. I notice that on other systems, I can hear much greater variation among things (such as hearing a coin drop), but that on my system, the effect isn't as pronounced. I have tried playing around with my speaker settings, and have improved it, but I still feel I am missing some effect. I have begun to think that the problem may actually be with the output from my DVD player. I have a Sony 715P player, an Onkyo SR800 7.1 system, and an 8 piece Paradigm Studio 100 speaker set. Could it be that the DVD player's audio output isn't good enough for the rest of the system? Can anyone recommend a better DVD player that will provide better sound?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Roy, honestly, the DVD player is not the culprit here. Remember, you have your acoustic environment to consider, which, along with any calibration issues, is having a much greater effect on your sound. Your speakers may not be as good as the speakers in these other systems to which you're comparing yours. Or it could be where these other systems are located. All sorts of things...

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you feeding your AVR digitally, the DVD player ins't / shouldn't be the culprit.

Feeding it either by L/R or 6 RCA Multi-Channel, I suppose it could be.

I'm also assuming other sources do not exhibit the issue?

RoyF

Auditioning
I don't really have any other sources to compare it to. My DVD player is the only source I have hooked up to this system.

I don't think it can really be a speakers issue, since I feel like I hear better on cheaper speakers at places like Circuit City. I just think there is some issue that makes things better on those systems.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Roy,

Check to see if "dynamic range compression" or "midnight mode" is turned on in your receiver. These are 2 different names for the same thing, a setting that compresses the dynamic range (difference between loudest and softest sounds) of the incoming digital sound so it can be played at lower volumes without loud noises waking up sleeping housemates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks