What's new

My dog barks too much! (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
I certainly hope SOME of you never have Children...sheesh.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
My neighbor got a shock on demand like you need. Excessive barking and he jolts him.
Yeah, those shock collars are wonderful devices. They'll stop the barking for sure.
rolleyes.gif
Really, why do some of you people even have dogs? If you're not going to play with it, what's the point?
How about instead of screwing the dog over for the rest of it's life (throwing it in "jail" and shocking it every time it acts up due to lack of attention), you go outside and play fetch with it. Strap on some rollerblades and let it drag you around the block. (My dog loves this) Or just take it for a plain old walk. Do something with it, even if you just let it sit at your feet while you browse the HTF...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach him to use the HTF and keep him occupied for life.

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
i agree, ric.
these soundlike the people who would put their children on leashes because they're too lazy to control them. sickening.
brian

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
OK, this thread doesn't need to degenerate into a mess, so what if those who have something to add keep up the good work, while those of us who don't and those who have suggestions that involve killing the animal keep away - sound good?
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

David McGough

Second Unit
Guys your taking this in wrong text.(as most people do that
don't have the facts).
It is not a bad thing and in my case will save the dogs life. These devices are approved by the all the AKA dog
clubs, humane society and it as recommended in training.
It seems harsh at first. I touch the probes at the line and can hold it with no pain. First time its a shock but then
its nothing.. Trust me I would not pay $300 for a dog and
abuse it any way this had to pass the research of my wife
and daughter..
Now flags are remove and dog knows her lines.
Lucy will not go near the line, she stays alive and
we don't worry. O did I mention at
night time she sleeps with us in a King size bed. Lucy even
has her own pillow.. Yep we abuse her and treat her some kind of BAD..
Dmac http://www.geocities.com/fat_daddy38343

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
You have a dog from the working class. It needs to be busy--useful, and requires a lot of attention. It's unfortunate your family did not research the breed more before making an uninformed choice. Of course, if everyone did that, there would be a lot less animals in shelters. Sadly, that is not the case.
As others have already pointed out, the dog is lonely and bored. Whether you wanted the dog or not does not matter at this point. You've already got it. The barking obviously is not bothering the rest of your family, rather it is bothering YOU, and probably your neighbors as well, so if you want it to stop, you will need to give the dog the attention it needs and deserves. Notice the words needs and deserves. Entertaining a dog does not really take much effort. You could even sit in a chair and toss a ball. The dog does all the work, you watch TV. Win/win. If you just can't spare the time, find a neighbor kid to walk/play with it. Most kids love to play with dogs and won't consider it a chore.
Or, you could consult a behaviorist. They can help you find (humane!) ways of training the dog not to bark. However, be advised that if you do get the dog to stop barking, and still don't give it attention, it will find other destructive behaviors to replace it, such as digging.
The pound keeps records on animals it receives and adopts out. If you return it, it will likely not live very long, as the dog has now shown a tendency to "cause problems."
David--what you've suggested is actually very different. As you've stated, the invisible fence is a wonderful tool for keeping an animal close to home and out of harm's way (such as vehicles, rat poison someone may have out, etc.) Your dog also learns the boundaries fairly quickly, and will very rarely receive a shock beyond the first few training ones. You also are not leaving your dog out 24/7 to amuse itself. Using a shock collar on a neglected animal to modify behavior you have caused is entirely another matter!
Antifreeze? OMG, I can't even respond to that!

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I won't bother asking any questions since I can't be bothered to read rest of the posts which already contail the answers.
My experience with dogs has been if they were satisfied with their circumstances they won't bark. At one time we had two golden retrievers, a male and a female one. The male dog was very satisfied (no pun intended) and would never bark, but the female dog would bark all the time and would at times try to bite your hand. Well to cut a long story short I wasn't going to get psychoanalysis for the female dog so she just had to go.
The male dog on the other hand was very laid back and would virtually never bark, he just knew the times to be hyper and when to be laid back. The female dog was much less intelligent and couldn't distinguish when to use certain behaviours so she was just hyper and annoying. If the dog is annoying I would just leave it back and search for one whose personality is more to your lacking. Different breeds have different personalities and even dogs within that breed have different personalities as I have mentioned above.
Aaron
PS-gave it back does not mean to the kennels, it means to another breeder.
[Edited last by AaronNWilson on September 08, 2001 at 02:19 PM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I decided to actually read all the posts and those shocking dog collars actually are great devices no matter what other people may say. Would you prefer your dog was killed by running into moving cars or would you prefer that he stayed in your yard? Easy choice methinks, speaking from someone who has had a dog that jumped an 8' wall and got killed by a car.
Aaron

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
david i agree with you about the invisible fence but my earlier response to this thread was to the people who think it's a ggod idea to let the animals run out the front door or to use poisen to kill them or take them back the the spca were they will be put to sleep.
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

Dennis

Second Unit
I agree with Michele's post 100%.

German Shepards are used as Police and Rescue dogs for certain reasons.

I'm curious, what do you do for a living John? It might determine if this dog is right for you.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
shock collars are FANTASTIC devices, the dog will react to it quite a bit, but they really aren't painful to them, just surprising (shocking? hehe)

put a collar on, zap em when he barks, then again the next time he barks, take the shock collar off and put a dummy on, he'll never bark again. They're so effective you've got to be careful not to over use them though... use it when you HAVE to.

John Torrez

Second Unit
Dennis, it's not really my dog. I never wanted the thing, my mom and little brother (17) went to the pound, it was the only "good" dog they saw so they got it and brought it home. It is now tied up and nobody ever really does anything with it. And I don't feel like it's my obligation to take it for a walk, etc. I know this dog isn't right for us but everytime I point that out to my mom she says that they already spent too much money on it (neutering, etc.) and she doesn't want to get rid of it. It's sad really because the dog could really have a better home.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
As others have pointed out, your poor dog is lonely, sad and confused. You should bring the dog in and give it a loving home or, if you can't or don't want to do that, do the next best thing and find someone who can.

I'm disgusted by some of responses I've read here. Quite a few of you could use shock collars, endless isolation, beatings and antifreeze cocktails.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
the dog will react to it quite a bit, but they really aren't painful to them
Have you ever put one of these on and shocked yourself? I haven't, but I watched someone put one on a guy while he was sleeping once as a joke. They ARE painful. Painful as all hell. If you don't believe me, stick one on your own neck to see. Don't want to do that? Then you must recognize that they are actually painful, because if they weren't, you wouldn't have a problem with it. Am I right? :)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I thought this would be a great time to throw in a pic since we are talking about dogs.
Great Pyrenese/African Ridgeback/Razorback(can never remember which one) mix.
She is about 2 years old coming up on April.
In this picture, about a year old she is seen showing Stone Cold who is the boss! :D
Image005.jpg

Anywho she guards the backyard like noones bidness! Squirrells are always teasing her from trees up above. She spends about half the time inside, 1 quarter outside and another quarter over at the next door neighbor lady's back yard. She has a dog as well, one day after we moved into our house the lady came over and asked if our dog could come over and play with hers! So my dog gets lots of attention from us as she gets to come in whenever she likes, and she has a playmate. It is really funny when she is inside and ask our dog if "Do you wanna go play with Ellie?" She perks up and goes straight to the front door!

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Was it really necessary to revive this thread? Maybe the title should be changed to ****Official "How to mistreat dogs and other dependent animals" Discussion Thread.

Many good suggestions were made, along with some questionable ones. I hope that the poor German shepherd in question made out okay, but I don't really want to know what fate befell it.

Btw Travis, it's Ridgeback. Those dogs rock. Bred for hunting lions, IIRC. A Razorback is a hog, or a mascot for the University of Arkansas. Regardless, cool dog!

Hopefully the thread will die the ignominious death it so deserved a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks