What's new

My cat is misbehaving....help please! (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
People that just let their cats run wild around the neighborhood should be beaten.
Jesse - Wow! That's so neighborly of you. And such a sensible thing to say too. You want to come here to administer the punishment? Bring it on!
I think it's cruel to keep any animal that wants to be outside from having the opportunity. However, some restrictions should apply. Some animals like snakes, rats, etc. might not come back. So judgement should be used. Dogs are a bigger menace than cats. They like to dig up big holes and can be dangerous. I've never seen a cat destroy a flower bed or attack a small child. I can put up with a little occasional poop from neighborhood dogs and cats, unless it is always the same animal doing it on a regular basis. Since my neighbor brought it to my attention that my cat is a repeat offender, I'm taking action to fix it, with the hope that she can still be able to have her outside fun.
Dogs are allowed to run free outside in backyards, but it's difficult to confine cats to yards without having unclimbable fences or barbed wire. So how do you tame the insatiable desire to be free? Would you like to be confined to your house without being able to go outside to get some excercise?

Chris Derby

Second Unit
People that just let their children run wild around the neighborhood should be beaten. I live in a neighborhood that is full of children that are left to run around. This leads to children's toys all over my yard and foot prints all over our lawn. Many times in the afternoon the children can be heard play fighting outside our bedroom window ontop of our firewood pile.

I do not understand why people that have children think that it is perfectly acceptable to just allow their children to have the run of the neighborhood. I doubt they would like it if had a child and let it run around their yards. But since it is "just a kid" I am supposed to just put up with it.

It is almost to the point that I am going to set live-traps in my yard to capture the children and take them to the pound. Parents need to understand that not everyone is as fond of children as they are.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Chris,
I assure you that if it were children that were crapping in my yard or climbing on top of my cars, I would be just as pissed. I would also call the police on them (just as I am about to get the proper authorities involved with the cats around my neighborhood). I am not sure if your changing my words somehow should make it appear as though it should be ok to give cats or children free roam of your property. I am not sure if you point is pro or con my statements.
Bill C,
And your actions are neighborly? Your neighbors are obviously bothered enough to bring up the subject with you. They didn't ask for you to get a cat. It was your decision, therefore it is your responsibility. Most cat owners somehow believe that by explaining their cat's need to roam should be reason enough. You may be able to rationalize this behavior to yourself, but believe me not everyone enjoys having cats roaming around the neighborhood (no matter how innocent you believe it is).
I do understand that you are taking actions to help the situation and I do commend you for that. But I think that you are in the minority. It would be a cold day in hell before my neighbors would be scooping cat crap out of my yard. They don't see it as their problem. And that is what pisses me off!

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
What was the point of that Chris? Are you saying cats = children? I heartly disagree. Cats can fend for themselves and can survive in the wild on their own. Letting them roam free is not "cat-abuse" as it would be with children. So if that's what you were trying to say then I think you completely missed the mark. Just because someone can love a cat just as much as they could love a child doesn't mean that cats and children need to be equalized.
But just so I'm not misunderstood...I don't think cats should really be allowed to have complete run of the neighborhood. We will always bring our cat in at night and we have tried to limit the amount of time she spends outside. It wasn't until recently that we really needed to watch her more carefully. My guff with Jesse was that he seems to think it's OK to go and beat a neighbor, but heaven forbid he should let a cat go outside. :rolleyes:My neighbor did the right thing and talked to us about it. He's a very good neighbor, so we recipricate the kindness. Cats should be allowed outside, but like I said, use some restraint. I agree that the cats in Jesse's neighborhood are a little out of control. But instead of beating the neighbors, try talking to them first. If they don't do anything about the problem, warn them that you will call animal control if they don't do anything. If they still don't show any concern, call animal control. Don't get out the bat!
Edit: Jesse - I just got your reply after I posted mine. I can understand why you're pissed. But a beating is not a resonable response. Like I said, if talking doesn't work things out then go ahead and resort to bringing the cats into an animal control shelter. After all, some of them may not be owned. They could just be wild cats.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
Not really equating cats to children. I guess I was sort of wondering what his view on my changes would be. I was curious as to whether Jesse is a cat hater or if he just doens't like his stuff messed with... Granted, this thread is about cats. I guess he would feel the same way about dogs and children.

When I was growing up, we let our cat run free when she wanted to. Our neighbors let their cats roam the neighborhood to. Hell, some of our neighbors cats were our cat's kittens. Nobody had a problem with cats roaming the neighborhood. I see your situations, however, are different.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Jesse - I'm glad you didn't mean real physical harm. Perhaps your neighbors just aren't aware of what their cats are up to and think all is well. That's the way we were. One neighbor (the one with the cat that has been declawed) had commented on how much fun our cat is and how they like it when she pays them a visit. We are on good terms with all our neighbors and didn't think anything was wrong...until one approached us. Frankly we were surprised, but apologetic. Hopefully your neighbors will be the same way, but from what you've been saying about them maybe not. But they are at least entitle to a friendly warning that you don't appreciate their cats coming into your yard. In my opinion, if you give them fair warning then you have every right to have animal control remove them. On the positive side, they're probably keeping the mouse population down. :D
The hardest part (aside from putting up with a whining cat) so far is that my wife grew up in Montana where the nearest neighbor is a good 300 yards away. Their cats have always been indoor/outdoor cats with freedom to roam where ever they please. I'm sure it's hard on her to have such a change. When we first got the cat we lived in an apartment complex where many people owned cats and all the cats spent time outdoors playing together. We had the occasional deposit on our porch that we didn't like, but we just put up with it, and so did everybody else. So now we're all having to make some adjustments to things. It's hard when both the cat and owners are used to complete outdoor freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks