What's new

My best tweak (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
After hearing tempting results using the software version with Winamp (connecting the output from my PC to my main music system), I finally bought the hardware version of the Wow Thing, from SRS Labs.

It will definitely, without a doubt, increase the sensation of space between and around the individual instruments (specially a near stage locations like jazz ensembles or string quartets.

You can clearly perceive the new space added, and can control the soundstage and imaging along the horizontal axis (adding or substracting at the same time space between you and the instruments).

I would say that about 60% of my recordings were successfully enhanced by this little device, the rest sounds better (at least in my system) in their original format.

The Wow Thing is a DSP processor, it works using psychoacoustic research to add time (which our brain translates to space) between the stereo channels.

My system is very capable to draw "Holographic" imaging with some recordings, and thanks to this little device, now I can enjoy even more precise imaging with some recordings. Actually sometimes I can't even trust my eyes when I open them and see no apparent source from where Im clearly listening instruments and voices!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
For winamp I use DFX but can't say that it makes my son't music sound any better, but I have to admit deleting his downloads improved matters. Really is quite amazing though isn't it?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
simply that i use dfx as a winamp add-on. i occasionally will listen to music through the pc while working and enjoy the spaciousness that it gives. strictly software. i personally think if you want to mess with your music to create an 'ambiance' that you feel is appealing, then go for it.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Is not about "ambience", it is about perceived space. And yes, I will continue to "mess" with my music, thanks.

I find interesting that this forum shows such a lack of interest in something which actually change the sound. The focus is on cables or line conditioners, or even black boxes.

Fascinating.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You say potato, I say potahto. What can I say, to me its not such a big thing perhaps because I've heard it and been aware of it for a number of years. This is not new technology although I'm sure there are many ways of implementing it. My son who is learning electric guitar uses a product by Behringer called a V-Amp to mess with his sound and create a variety of effects and sounds. There is an active forum on Yahoo where people discuss how they get certain effects out and offer up their settings so that for example, one can closely mimic the sound that David Gilmour made with his guitar on 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'. Perhaps, if this is dear to your heart, you might consider searching the web to see if there are specific forums for the product you own or perhaps there are forums geared solely to this type of technology. If not consider starting your own forum.

Cheers!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Is not about "ambience", it is about perceived space.
I hope this doesn't sound antagonistic, but could you please explain the difference? I thought that the term 'ambience', when used in the context of a recording or audio reproduction system, refers to the "stuff" in the recording which recreates (or provides information about) the space where the originally recorded event took place. This "stuff" could include time/phase relationships between different instruments/voices/sound sources, reverberant/reflected sound, and so on.

So what exactly does this product do? It looks like it lets you expand or collapse the width of your soundstage? That sounds pretty neat. Can it control the front-to-back depth of the soundstage too? At first I thought it was just a static processor of some sort - how many controls does it have, and what do they do?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well if you use winamp on your pc saurav, you could download the add-on and get an idea. i'm sure if tim leary were alive he'd be heartily endorsing the product!

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Saurav,
Everything is explained (much better than I can) in www.srslabs.com/ConsumerTechMonoStereo.asp
However, I tried to describe my experience in the first post. Perhaps Im dead wrong, but I have seen people in this forum being a bit of antagonistic to the very idea that a DSP processor can add something of value to the original signal (that which was carefuly planned by the engineer).
All I can say is that if we focus less on theories and more on what we hear, then we will see if the devices which do that kind of processing will do any good to our systems.
For me "ambience" have to do more with reververation and echo, which can sound arbitrary and out of context. But the simply time retarding techniques used on SRS products have nothing to do with that, unless you abuse from the controls.
The little Wow Thing is just an experiment (a cheap one) to me. I wanted to know if a DSP box will make my system sound better. It only have two controls, one of them effectively add space in the horizontal plane, and also it will put more space between you and the instruments, used with discretion, it will do marvelous things (if you close your eyes you will hear clearly that the instruments are closer and farther away as you move it). The other control reinforces bass, specially for small speakers.
Im planning now to buy another DSP, it will be either the big SRS Labs offering or a Behringer one. For me, it definitely adds a sensation of space (that doesn't sound artificial) in between and around the instruments on certain recordings. For others, I prefer the sound of the original recording.
I do find it to be a marvelous tweak, that's why I thought it was important to share my feelings.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, that makes things clearer.
Chu - no, I don't think I have Winamp on my computer, and the speakers are placed about a foot above my head on top of a shelf, so I doubt that I'd get much imaging/soundstage information without rearranging that. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks